The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2015, 08:37 PM

Question Do you own a guitar you will NEVER part with?

I came to a realization that all the guitars I have are tools and maybe even toys. I'm excited about getting them, then I play them for a while and then I want to try something new. Lately these cycles have gotten shorter and shorter. I just got my Taylor 618e (2015) about a month ago, I'm already thinking of selling it and getting something else...

Do you own a guitar you will never part with for any reason, be it sentimental, because you bonded with it, or the fact that it is the ONE guitar for you?
Bedell TB 18G
Bedell TB 28 G 12 string
Bedell Performance Plus JB-52-12-G
Eastman AC 420
Old 11-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
I came to a realization that all the guitars I have are tools and maybe even toys. I'm excited about getting them, then I play them for a while and then I want to try something new. Lately these cycles have gotten shorter and shorter. I just got my Taylor 618e (2015) about a month ago, I'm already thinking of selling it and getting something else...

Do you own a guitar you will never part with for any reason, be it sentimental, because you bonded with it, or the fact that it is the ONE guitar for you?
I have a few, actually.

My Taylor GC7 is basically my main guitar, forever. The only thing I might wish it to have is a new thinner finish and on rare occasion a cutaway, but I actually think I love this guitar so much Ill never part with it.

My Gibson Sonex 180 Custom solid body electric. In my opinion, the best bargain in an electric Gibson ever made. I hade one 30 years ago and had to sell it. I bought one, restored it to museum condition and it sentimentally sits near me.

My Martin 000-15 was severely neglected and abused and had substantial damage. I got it cheap and did a massive restoration project on it. It came out unbelievable and I cannot even believe how fantastic this guitar sounds. Because of all its repairs I could never ever get enough money to make me want to part with it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-15-2015, 08:42 PM

There is one that will stay with me to the end, I bought it long ago before I knew what I was doing with money both grandparents and parents gave me.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Doubt I'd ever sell my HD-28V Adi custom?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:44 PM

I've had my Taylor 14 years and it will always be mine.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:46 PM

The last of my Martin 000-18GE's.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:48 PM

My Yamaha 12 string that I bought new back in '89. It was the first guitar I bought with my own money and it was my best friend for the next 10 years.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:48 PM

The one guitar I will never part with would be my McCollum.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-15-2015, 08:49 PM

Not yet - still looking for one!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:56 PM

Never is a LONG time... I had said that I would never sell my 12 string but it is going to be going on sale this week to help finance the D-35 ... Right now I'd say that my D-15 fits into the never sell class but again... Never is a long time and none of my guitars are heirlooms.

There is one however that I would never get rid of unless I simply was not going to be playing anymore period due to the circumstances by which I came into possession of it. That would be dear sweet Candy. My Yamaha FG-75 that Candy Apple sold to me. Candy is a joy to play; carries with it fond memories of my dear friend Tina, sounds awesome and uniquely voiced, so no that one says with me so long as I play or till Tina decides she wants Candy back which I told her that she could buy her back any time.

But I do think that Candy is going to get an upgrade here soon. Thinking bout adding a K&K Mini to her and a bone nut and saddle just cuz she deserves it.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 11-15-2015, 08:57 PM

I'll never part with my first guitar, a cheap Lauren brand guitar. My dad bought it for me from a local music store, paid about 180% the current online price (I was 11 at the time, and in those days we spent our days getting bumps and bruises rather than surfing the web) , and it didn't come set up. I would've thrown it into a wood chipper had it not the sentimental value it has. I'll probably try setting it up soon (myself), just for the hell of it. It's one of those things that takes up space, but I know I'd regret getting rid of it.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:01 PM

Yep. My D18. I dreamed of having a D18 and honestly never thought I would get one. A few years ago some really good friends got together and gave me the money to get my dream guitar, hence the D18 in my signature. It's an incredible dread on its own, and it has loads of sentimental value to me. It will go to my kids.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:05 PM

Yes, several will stay with me until I'm gone and they get passed on to my son and possibly two nephews.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 11-15-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Do you own a guitar you will NEVER part with?
A couple...

1971 D-28 which I bought new and is my best inanimate friend for life...

1967 D-28 which I got from the estate of my best friend, longtime music partner after his untimely death in 2009.

The backs of these guitars...

Old 11-15-2015, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
…Do you own a guitar you will never part with for any reason, be it sentimental, because you bonded with it, or the fact that it is the ONE guitar for you?
Hi ik…

Yes, I do own one guitar I'll never part with for any reason, because it's the best guitar I've ever owned, and matches my styling perfectly.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
taylor