The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2015, 04:47 PM

Hey All,

Where can I get that Ricky guitar?

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"
Old 11-15-2015, 05:25 PM

I'm a fan of both Dave Stamey http://www.davestamey.com/index.html and, even though he is not strictly cowboy, the late Don Walser http://www.donwalser.com/ .

"Down at the Sky-Vue Drive-In" is a fave CD of mine.

I think Mr. Ian Tyson fits in here too. The old everyone-covered-it "Someday Soon" came from him, and that song alone takes him to many places.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedray View Post
Check out Riders in the Sky (the group, not the song) if you think cowboy songs are all simple. Ranger Doug has some pretty fancy grips. I can't seem to figure out the embed process, but the link should work.

https://youtu.be/-FrbwJYyLW0
How could I have forgotten to mention Ranger Doug, The Idol of American Youth, Woody Paul, the King of the Cowboy Fiddlers, Too Slim, the Man of a Thousand Hats and Joey, the Cowpolka King.

Seriously, they are great fun as well as great musicians,and Doug Green is te past master of western style rhythm guitar.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:00 PM

The first thing I thought of when I saw the subject line was "well, 'Tequila Sunrise' is kind of a cowboy song."
"He was just a hired hand,
Workin' on the dreams he planned to try..."

Y'all have come up with a lot of stuff that made me say "Ohhh, yeah; that." I don't know if was mentioned earlier (I know the albums were mentioned), but Wikipedia says Michael Martin Murphey's album Cowboy Songs was the first album of cowboy music to achieve gold status since Mart Robbins' Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs. "Wildfire" was Good Stuff.
And that Dean Martin/Ricky Nelson duet was a gem, too.
Never thought of "Sweet Baby James" until now. Another good one.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:54 PM

Good stuff guys, I am enjoying your posts. How about the early Eagles and their album Desperado? It had Tequila Sunrise and Doolin Dalton on it and some others that I believe fit modern Cowboy songs.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbman View Post
Good stuff guys, I am enjoying your posts. How about the early Eagles and their album Desperado? It had Tequila Sunrise and Doolin Dalton on it and some others that I believe fit modern Cowboy songs.
If you are letting them in, you should listen to the Bob Dylan soundtrack to Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

Includes the immortal Knocking on Heaven's Door

Good luck getting any more than a snippet of the original anywhere on t'internet without paying Bob !

Old 11-15-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
Am I the only one that wants to see the band form that has Silly Moustache and Dave Trabue (KYDave) ??

Hit it, boys!
Yahoo ride'em cowboy!
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 11-15-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
If you are letting them in, you should listen to the Bob Dylan soundtrack to Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

Includes the immortal Knocking on Heaven's Door

Good luck getting any more than a snippet of the original anywhere on t'internet without paying Bob !

Yes good one and I even have that album. I will definitely give that another listen tonight.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbman View Post
Yes good one and I even have that album. I will definitely give that another listen tonight.
I had the CD too. Sadly it was one of 6 greats that remained resolutely stuck in the auto-changer when I sold my last car.

(I've prolly still got the sleeve somewhere, I can use it again if I can burn a copy of a pal's CD !)
Old 11-15-2015, 08:28 PM

My first touring experience was with The Rawling Brothers. Played all sorts of Cowboy fedstivals and gatherings, Elks and Royal Purples, Legions, country Churches etc all across Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan.

3 chord songs, tight cowboy/prairie harmonies and the odd yodeling.....those were some of the best days.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
and the odd yodeling

...... check out Walser
Old 11-16-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
Hey All,

Where can I get that Ricky guitar?

-Ed-
Very cool! Shared this with my hubby. Brought back good memories. Simpler times. Didn't remember Dino doing cowboy. Thanks for bringin that back. Btw I wish I had a sunburst. Sold mine but still crave that retro fnish.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:50 PM

I play both kinds of music, country and western. Sorry, from one of my favorite movies "Blues Brothers."
Old 11-16-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hurley View Post
Marty Robbins's `59 album `Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs' is probably the very best place to start if you really want to learn `Cowboy Songs'.

Contains `El Paso', `Cool Water', `Running Gun',`In The Valley' and many other Western standards. Apart from MR's incredible vocals/range, it contains some of the best 3-part harmonies and pickin' (Grady Martin) of that genre.

Don Edwards - whose albums I really enjoy - openly admits to being influenced by that album - and Marty Robbins.
THIS is exactly what I first thought of and came into this thread to look for. I grew up playing this album from my dad's record collection repeatedly, and it's always held a soft spot in my heart. So much that I've gone through two copies of the album on CD and I own at least 3 copies on vinyl since I seem to pick it up any time I see it.

In my mind it just doesn't get any better…

Old 11-16-2015, 05:05 PM

I'm a huge Arlo fan. He did a CD of cowboy songs called Son of the Wind. Here are a couple of the tracks.

Utah Carroll

When the Cactus is in Bloom

Last edited by acoustic trail; 11-16-2015 at 05:11 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion