The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Any Fans of Cowboy Songs?

Sorry. No link. I'm in a car driving all day. Cole porter bought the poem from a highway engineer I think? He reworked the poem into the song
Old 11-15-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbman View Post
Hey all,

I have always enjoyed the romanticism of the simple rugged cowboy image out on the plain with the stars and his guitar. (not sure how realistic it really is but it works for me). It seems for me that it brings a sense of simple lyrics and a simpler time and a chance to play a song that was probably written just for a simple song using a guitar. So, I am going to build a songbook of simple cowboy tunes of the old west with just me and my Seagull S6. I already have played Ridin down the Canyon song today and I like it. I grew up with Westerns on TV back in the day and it gives me great satisfaction to relive those moments through song and a chance for me and ole Lady Bird (my fairly new S6) to make some nice music. I love this forum. Give me your thoughts on Cowboy tunes. For modern day I love the songs of Chris LeDoux.
As a little boy in the '50s, watching Roy Rogers & Gene Autry on the little black & white TV, I yearned to play the guitar while I sang, which I was already doing.

It was a few years later and the rock era when my folks finally took me seriously & got me a guitar and lessons, but that background never went away.

Sons of the Pioneers style harmonies still make me very happy inside!

The feeling has carried over into my songwriting occasionally, musically, if not lyrically.

For instance:

The Valley

or this swing number I wrote for my lanky curly headed brunette dandelion of a significant other...

Dandelion Brunette

Old 11-15-2015, 12:03 PM

Am I the only one that wants to see the band form that has Silly Moustache and Dave Trabue (KYDave) ??

Hit it, boys!
Old 11-15-2015, 12:08 PM

My ex-wife was from Montana and she introduced me to a lot of good authentic Western Cowboy music. I do like it. Have you ever noticed much of western music is written in 3/4 time, my favorite time signature? I don't listen too often but there are some great artists in this genre.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
Have you listened to Mike Beck...sort of a modern version of cowboy songs...songs about the west...his horse etc. Good stuff...he plays a Gibson AJ, too.
Yes - I mentioned him in my first thread here. He visited the UK a few years back and played the folk club scene around my area. Hehad a B-bender mechanism on his acoustic, and I loved his lace up western boots.

We first met in a gent's urinal in Hampshire !

I can't remember who introduced me to Chuck Pyle - one of my pals on either the Guy Clark or Townes Van Zandt Yahoo lists. His clear clean voice and playing style instantly impressed.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:55 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
As a little boy in the '50s, watching Roy Rogers & Gene Autry on the little black & white TV, I yearned to play the guitar while I sang, which I was already doing.

It was a few years later and the rock era when my folks finally took me seriously & got me a guitar and lessons, but that background never went away.

Sons of the Pioneers style harmonies still make me very happy inside!

The feeling has carried over into my songwriting occasionally, musically, if not lyrically.

For instance:

The Valley

or this swing number I wrote for my lanky curly headed brunette dandelion of a significant other...

Dandelion Brunette

Super!!............If I could only write half that good. Wow gives me something to aspire to.........did you have the words before the melody or vice versa?......Both are great songs...........I appreciate the sharing and I know others will too.........We need an album of AGF All-Stars......you just made the cut.......LOL.........and Silly Moustache is sure to be on that album also......Nice Job!
Old 11-15-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbman View Post
Super!!............If I could only write half that good. Wow gives me something to aspire to.........did you have the words before the melody or vice versa?......Both are great songs...........I appreciate the sharing and I know others will too.........We need an album of AGF All-Stars......you just made the cut.......LOL.........and Silly Moustache is sure to be on that album also......Nice Job!
Thank you very much!

My songs usually come together as a story I want to tell (which dictates the lyrics), an idea for a feel (which dictates the rhythm/chord structure) and a melody comes along with the first couple of lines of lyric... usually.

The rest is just hashing out the details... which usually come pretty quickly, but not always.

This is another "contemporary cowboy song" I wrote. As I mentioned above, I wanted to tell a story of how one could feel empathy for an anti-social person, even as the anti-social person was crossing the line to the point where one had to drop the hammer on him.

"Empathy"

This one had about three different Martins on various tracks I recorded; my old '71 D-28, a '59 0-18 I used to own, and a '99 Special Edition SP000-16R I used to own.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:19 PM

Marty Robbins's `59 album `Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs' is probably the very best place to start if you really want to learn `Cowboy Songs'.

Contains `El Paso', `Cool Water', `Running Gun',`In The Valley' and many other Western standards. Apart from MR's incredible vocals/range, it contains some of the best 3-part harmonies and pickin' (Grady Martin) of that genre.

Don Edwards - whose albums I really enjoy - openly admits to being influenced by that album - and Marty Robbins.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:47 PM

The real cowboy move-'em-down-the-trail phase was over by like 1890 at the latest. So to me it is exceedingly interesting that what we're all so nostalgic about is itself nostalgia.

That said, there are some very real tunes from the original cowboys.

One of my favorite cowboy tunes is set in New Hampshire:

Old 11-15-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
How bout a link there pardner ?
Bob Fletcher from Helena, MT, wrote the original poem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27...e_Me_In_(song).

This is a sign at one of the rest stops in southeastern Montana (might be on Highway 212 near Broadus, but I don't remember exactly):

Old 11-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
The real cowboy move-'em-down-the-trail phase was over by like 1890 at the latest. So to me it is exceedingly interesting that what we're all so nostalgic about is itself nostalgia.

That said, there are some very real tunes from the original cowboys.

One of my favorite cowboy tunes is set in New Hampshire:

Yeah, It is amazing where some great songwriters can draw there imagery for such great classic's .... I'm listening more to James Taylor now than I did in the 70's.
Guitar Center Sessions has him on currently out here on the West Coast and he's still in great form and voice.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:32 PM

The old Cowboy songs bring back many memories for me. A fun thread to read on a Sunday afternoon..
Old 11-15-2015, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I still love the music, admittedly mainly California movie music, but also the music of people like :

Michael Martin Murphey, Don Edwards, Mike Beck, Rambling Jack, Ian Tyson, Chuck Pyle etc.,etc.
Michael Martin Murphey came to mind as soon as I saw your thread title. LOVE him! I don't think any artist works harder to spread true classic cowboy songs.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:10 PM

+1 Don Edwards - "Coyotes"
Old 11-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Aw shucks...t'weren't nut'n. I wrote that song in 1999, and I'm afraid I can't remember the circumstances now.

How long ?

I was a drummer until the early '70s probably bought my first guitar about that time. Started with blues, then bluegrass style until 1983 when a long illness prevented my from playing anything for ten years.

Started to learn again in 1993 - been playing ever since .. just a hobby.
Silly, y'all just made me a fan! When I'm over England way, I'm gonna find out where you're playin', and buy the pub a few rounds while we all sing along and get noisy! Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion