The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2015, 01:43 AM

Default Any Fans of Cowboy Songs?

Hey all,

I have always enjoyed the romanticism of the simple rugged cowboy image out on the plain with the stars and his guitar. (not sure how realistic it really is but it works for me). It seems for me that it brings a sense of simple lyrics and a simpler time and a chance to play a song that was probably written just for a simple song using a guitar. So, I am going to build a songbook of simple cowboy tunes of the old west with just me and my Seagull S6. I already have played Ridin down the Canyon song today and I like it. I grew up with Westerns on TV back in the day and it gives me great satisfaction to relive those moments through song and a chance for me and ole Lady Bird (my fairly new S6) to make some nice music. I love this forum. Give me your thoughts on Cowboy tunes. For modern day I love the songs of Chris LeDoux.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:58 AM

Try the old west version of Ghost Riders.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:00 AM

I sure will. What is the difference in the older version?
Old 11-15-2015, 03:12 AM

Most of the old Cowboy Songs (Gene Autry stuff for example) are very melodic and fun at times............but I have to be in the mood.

Let's face it; as musicians, we are typically "moody" people, and our tastes gravitate from one form to another, almost daily.

That said, when I'm IN the mood for "old Cowboy Songs," they are fun.

-Soupy
I have bought and sold more guitars in my day, than frogs eat flies; Yamaha, Taylor, Washburn, Gibson, Martin, Ovation, Epiphone....you name it! One thing I've learned over the years however...........I ain't gonna be worth JACK, if I don't PRACTICE!!
Old 11-15-2015, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

I'm a Brit and well remember that little blond boy sitting like a small skinny Buddha in front of a tiny black and white screen watching Hopalong Cassidy, the Lone Ranger, the Cisco Kid, Range Rider, Rin Tin Tin etc.

In those days the goodies wore white hats and ther baddies black hats, and when someone was shot with a (seemingly thousand round) Colt 45 , they stopped clutched their chest, and gently sunk to the ground muttering "oh".
No blood, no bullet holes etc. The Indians all looked like rather tubby cigar store Indians, and black people were hardly ever seen unless as comedy characters as were Hispanics.

That little boy was me in the early 1950s. I guess those 30 minute adventures helped shape the romance of the fictional mild west for many other little boys in many counties.

I grew into adulthood longing to visit the place that I thought might be most "cowboy" and even wrote my own song about that longing.

I eventually visited Texas in 2004 and 2005.

I still love the music, admittedly mainly California movie music, but also the music of people like :

Michael Martin Murphey, Don Edwards, Mike Beck, Rambling Jack, Ian Tyson, Chuck Pyle etc.,etc.

Even Willie ........ "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys".

How about the true Hollywood western cowboy song - "Don't Fence me in" written by that old range rider ....Cole Porter ?!

Old 11-15-2015, 03:57 AM

Does "I got the hoss" by Mel Tillis count as a cowboy song?
Old 11-15-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm a Brit and well remember that little blond boy sitting like a small skinny Buddha in front of a tiny black and white screen watching Hopalong Cassidy, the Lone Ranger, the Cisco Kid, Range Rider, Rin Tin Tin etc.

In those days the goodies wore white hats and ther baddies black hats, and when someone was shot with a (seemingly thousand round) Colt 45 , they stopped clutched their chest, and gently sunk to the ground muttering "oh".
No blood, no bullet holes etc. The Indians all looked like rather tubby cigar store Indians, and black people were hardly ever seen unless as comedy characters as were Hispanics.

That little boy was me in the early 1950s. I guess those 30 minute adventures helped shape the romance of the fictional mild west for many other little boys in many counties.

I grew into adulthood longing to visit the place that I thought might be most "cowboy" and even wrote my own song about that longing.

I eventually visited Texas in 2004 and 2005.

I still love the music, admittedly mainly California movie music, but also the music of people like :

Michael Martin Murphey, Don Edwards, Mike Beck, Rambling Jack, Ian Tyson, Chuck Pyle etc.,etc.

Even Willie ........ "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys".

How about the true Hollywood western cowboy song - "Don't Fence me in" written by that old range rider ....Cole Porter ?!

WOW my hat is off to you! That was great! I loved the guitar playing and the singing. What a cleverly written song. It took me back to my childhood and I had a moment to reflect. That song touched me. Great job Man! You know I could picture Gordon Lightfoot singing that one. You have a voice that is similar. Stellar!..........once again the talent on this board is amazing. Don't fence me in was great also and love that guitar. How long have you been playing guitar? Did the words come to you first for the song or the melody? Just curious.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:42 AM

Thumbs up

Wow! I'm a cowboy song lover too. Silly Moustache is one of my favorites on the forum. I loved those songs Silly.

We have a very similar taste in guitars as well, gotta love those 12 frets.

I too grew up watching those shows and listening to that music, although I'm just a kid, 51 years old. I love the old cowboy guitars too, that is why I have my J-200.

My J-200 is no slouch though.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

What a musical treat this morning. Very nice Moustache...

Saint Mother Maria, watch over us please
As we wander around in this dangerous world.
Saint Mother Maria, there's nothin so sweet
As the undying love of a South Texas Girl.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:44 AM

Default Encore!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen. Let's hear it one more time for MR SILLY MOUSTACHE.
Wow! Just found me a new guitar hero and also a reminder that I need to practise more. Really enjoyed those excellent performances and can relate to the cowboy themes. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Very enjoyable.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 11-15-2015, 06:02 AM

What Bunny said. +1
RO-T16
Old 11-15-2015, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbman View Post
WOW my hat is off to you! That was great! I loved the guitar playing and the singing. What a cleverly written song. It took me back to my childhood and I had a moment to reflect. That song touched me. Great job Man! You know I could picture Gordon Lightfoot singing that one. You have a voice that is similar. Stellar!..........once again the talent on this board is amazing. Don't fence me in was great also and love that guitar. How long have you been playing guitar? Did the words come to you first for the song or the melody? Just curious.
Aw shucks...t'weren't nut'n. I wrote that song in 1999, and I'm afraid I can't remember the circumstances now.

How long ?

I was a drummer until the early '70s probably bought my first guitar about that time. Started with blues, then bluegrass style until 1983 when a long illness prevented my from playing anything for ten years.

Started to learn again in 1993 - been playing ever since .. just a hobby.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny64 View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen. Let's hear it one more time for MR SILLY MOUSTACHE.
Wow! Just found me a new guitar hero and also a reminder that I need to practise more. Really enjoyed those excellent performances and can relate to the cowboy themes. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Very enjoyable.
Blimey ! This old Limey never expected such nice remarks, thank you.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:20 AM

Silly Moustache nails it !

Great song of yours Andy, but I am afraid it may be disqualified ... It's got waaay too many chords for true cowboys !
Old 11-15-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Blimey ! This old Limey never expected such nice remarks, thank you.
Yeah, if you could just manage to self-censor some of your occasional rants, before hitting submit, you could be universally loved around here !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion