The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2010, 06:34 PM

Default Do we need to humidify aluminum? ;-)

New from Martin, an aluminum top guitar:

http://guitargearnews.blogspot.com/2...al-cherry.html

You have to give it to Martin for blazing new trails.

Richard
Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 PM

This model may be new, but aluminum is familiar ground to Martin. This is the seventh aluminum-topped guitar from Martin in the past 10 years, but the first with solid wood back, sides and neck. The others had HPL sides and backs and Stratabond necks.

Dreadnaught

OM

MIDI

Bass

Resonator

Tremolo!

And new baby makes seven!

I'm curious as to how the solid back and sides will change the tone from the HPL models....
Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 AM

Fascinating. This line must be working for Martin for them to be expanding it.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 AM

Well, at least there's no worry of a split or warped top! I'm curious how these sound.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Well, at least there's no worry of a split or warped top! I'm curious how these sound.
Just imagine strumming a soda can... and there you have it!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 AM

The "Tremolo" Model looks pretty sweet to me... As the folks across the pond would say - it's made from "Al-U-Minium"!

Humidify? How about a little squirt of WD-40 once in a while?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 AM
do what huh?

I used to have the Dread model. I played in an acoustic band similar to that of Days Of The New. Acoustic down tuned alt rock. The aluminum top was pretty cool. The sound was an interesting mix of reso with an acoustic tone, and a little something else thrown in the mix.

While not for traditionalists (go figure), it was an awesome git. My only complaint is that the aluminum top got pretty cold sometimes, which was a playing deterrent.
G&L ASAT Classic
Fender Am Std Telecaster
Marlboro spruce/eirw dread
Wrongbox Cigar Box Lap Steel
Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 AM

Here's a review: "I’ve played guitar for 15 years and I own a Martin HD28V, D16RGT, and 000 18. I played this guitar for about 5 min. at the Martin Factory in PA. I thought an Aluminum top would sound terrible, and I was right. This guitar sounds awful! Even with new strings and proper setup, this guitar sounds like a $150.00 Laminate special. I’d describe the tone as Tinny and weak. The action of the guitar was very good, and the quality of finish was first class, everything was perfect constructed. Metal guitars are not the future; there are plenty of responsible ways to construct guitars from traditional materials. If you need a green friendly/tree free guitar, look at a Rain Song, All carbon fiber, they sound great, or an Ovation, wood tops, but composite back sides and sometimes neck. Martin disappoints me greatly with this embarrassing guitar."
Old 02-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Tryin' to figure it out

The thing I would worry about is not humidity, but temperature. AL expands quite a bit as it warms up. Case in point: I played in a band where the other guitarist had an original Kramer with the AL neck. We played a summer outdoor gig where we all tuned up in the basement and then went onstage outside. We played one song, then my buddy picked up his Kramer for the second. When he hit the first chord, we were all stunned at it being nearly 1/4 tone higher! It was awful.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Gross.

I'd rather play one of these:

Old 02-08-2010, 02:35 PM

I own the one with the DiMarzio pickup and the Bigsby, and I have to say it is AWESOME! I did not purchase it for its acoustic sound, and I think anyone who approaches it as a purely acoustic instrument will be disappointed. However, in my case, I have found it to be a very road-worthy instrument and extremely cool to boot. For a great electric sound with an acoustic feel it has fit the bill nicely. Rather than jumping to conclusions and/or basing your opinion on someone else's experience, including mine, plug one in and give it a try. You may like it!

By the way, I have not, nor do I need to, worry about barometric or temperature conditions with this guitar.

Last edited by Wilburman; 02-08-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Here's a review... (text copied from another site, from a person whose opinions I can't judge due to lack of track record).
A Martin afficianado thinks the guitar will sound terrible ahead of time, and reaches that conclusion. Sordid Tales had better things to say about its tone, and spent the money on one.

I can find reviews for any piece of gear all over the internet, both good and bad, but one of the things I like about the AGF is the chance to ask questions about another member's opinions and how they formed them.

And, of course, if someone states right out that they'd rather not even try one, then that only tells us something about that person's prejudgements and not about the instrument in question. I happen to think that actual information is better than just an uninformed opinion, but perhaps that's just me.... *chuckle*

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion