The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2001, 06:19 PM

Post Need help dating my 615

I recently bought a used 615 (non cutaway). The serial number has been torn off (who ever adjusted the truss rod should be shot). So I'm trying to date my guitar by specs alone. It was built in Santee (so post 1987). The tuners are Schaler (sp?) with "West Germany" markings. When did they stop saying "West Germany" (1990, 1991)? It has an ebony finger board. Anything else that would clue me in on the circa?
Old 11-06-2001, 06:31 PM

Taylor moved to Santee in 1987 and then to El Cajon in 1992, so your guitar falls somewhere in that time span. It's hard to tell much more without the serial number, though. Have you tried contacting Taylor? They're usually pretty quick to respond.

You have excellent taste, BTW (said another 615 owner).

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: cpmusic ]
Old 11-07-2001, 03:37 PM
Jim

I wouldn't suggest doing this yourself, but you can have a qualified Taylor repair person unbolt and remove the neck. The serial number should be written in pencil on the spruce top near the soundhole under the fretboard extension where it comes down over the top. You will need the serial number for insurance purposes or to resell it (and it would also tell you the year it was made). The Taylor authorized repair guy will then need to reinstall the neck and make sure it is properly set and adjusted to be sure the action is put back to factory specs.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but there can be a second reason why the serial number has been destroyed/removed which is that the guitar could be stolen. Personally, I wouldn't buy any used guitar without knowing the serial number, especially an expensive one like a Taylor. You may want to have your local Taylor repair person go ahead and find the serial number on your 615 to be sure this isn't the case. If it is, you would need to report it to the authorities and try to get your money back from the guy who sold it to you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion