The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2016, 01:56 AM

Default Yamaha LS 6/16 rosewood or mahogany?

Hi,

anyone tried both, the RW and mahogany versions? Are there real differences in sound? To be honest, I am more tempted to buy the 6 instead of 16, because it's easier with the humidity issues. I play mainly fingerstyle with bluesy feeling and I think the mahogany would fit better to this than RW. Yes, no?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:48 AM

for 1 thing humidity issue should not be in the discussion unless you live some place like singapore. i always prefer solid wood over laminate but thats really a personal decision. i loved my ls16. wonderful guitar
Old 08-21-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper59 View Post
for 1 thing humidity issue should not be in the discussion unless you live some place like singapore. i always prefer solid wood over laminate but thats really a personal decision. i loved my ls16. wonderful guitar

Dryness is the "problem", not too much of humidity. I realized that for the past year or so, I have mostly played my hollow electric guitar (without amp) just because it's nicely hanging on the wall and I can easily grab it and play. The acoustic is hidden in the case with a humidifier. Out of sight, out of mind. The laminated guitar would be easier... But of course this is not a major issue, it's just a minor annoyance.

But, how about the sound between LS rosewood or mahogany for fingerpicking?
Old 08-21-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klobasa View Post
Dryness is the "problem", not too much of humidity. I realized that for the past year or so, I have mostly played my hollow electric guitar (without amp) just because it's nicely hanging on the wall and I can easily grab it and play. The acoustic is hidden in the case with a humidifier. Out of sight, out of mind. The laminated guitar would be easier... But of course this is not a major issue, it's just a minor annoyance.

But, how about the sound between LS rosewood or mahogany for fingerpicking?
There is not much difference in the tone of the LS6 in the Hog or RW version.

The difference is noticeable in the 16 series. Which is better? Depends on what you want.

RW b&s provide a deeper bass and a zingier high end. They also have a noticeable amount of overtones - natural reverb, if you will. Very rich (& can sometimes be heard as dark too).

Hog b&s will provide less overtones - more simple and straightforward tone. There is faster note decay and stronger midrange presence.

If you like fast note decay, you may prefer Hog back and sides. Personally, I prefer all solid Mahogany or Sapele guitars for finger picking as nothing sounds off and decays quicker than a Hog top.

Just depends on what your preferences are. IMO, the 16 series is worth the extra $ - even with humidification concerns. I say this, but am quite lucky that my own climate is a great fit for solid instruments so take it w/a grain of salt, I guess.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-21-2016, 08:00 AM

I would go for the LS16 , but before you buy or order you must have a look at the new Transacoustic from Yamaha . Outstanding guitar for the money £750 approx , all solid wood as the LS16 with treated top but fitted with onboard reverb and chorus that can be used plugged in or just as an acoustic . For fingerpicking they sound fantastic Good luck
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 AM

I guess the question should be, if to buy LS6M or LS16M. I like the sound of mahogany back and sides. But it's a dilemma which to choose, because some tell that they don't hear any difference between 6/16 and some tell that they hear a huge difference I need to order the guitar, so I can't test before purchase. The LS6M can be found for 430e, the LS16M for 750e.

I used to have a older LL6 and I thought it was great in every way (except that I like more the mid focused sound of smaller bodies).
Old 08-22-2016, 04:37 AM

There are some youtube videos comparing the 6 and 16 models. I have had the opportunity to compare at Sam Ash. They sound somewhat different, but I don't know that I would call one better--just different.

I went with the LS 6 basically for the same reason you mentioned above. I want a good sounding guitar that I can hang on the wall for easy access, but not have to worry much about humidity and all the other things guitar connoisseurs seem to worry about.

I did not compare back and side material. My LS 6 is rosewood and it does sound "bright" .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion