The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Default some really cool used guitars at The Podium

browsing the mandolin selection(just about ready to jump on the Sumi A-5) and took note of the used guitar selection. some real interesting cool guits there folks. I see 3 right off the bat I'd like(Santa Cruz 12 fret dread).

enjoy

http://www.guitarrodeo.com/used-guitars.html

d
Old 11-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Indeed!

Steve
Old 11-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Yes, very impressive list!

That was some fun browsing!

- Glenn
Old 11-20-2015, 01:47 PM

Default does "enabler" fit here?

Oh GREAT!!

Here I am trying to reduce, bought two recently, and our friend darylcrisp tosses this up.
Some friend YOU a turned out to be🤔 😉

(it was fun tho)👍
Old 11-20-2015, 01:49 PM

I was there just yesterday. Played a lot of those.

The oo-21NY is coming home with me just as soon as they get a neck reset done on it.

http://www.guitarrodeo.com/used-guit...-00-21-ny.html

The 12-fret Collings is also a stellar guitar. As was the D-28 Marquis.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
browsing the mandolin selection(just about ready to jump on the Sumi A-5) and took note of the used guitar selection. some real interesting cool guits there folks. I see 3 right off the bat I'd like(Santa Cruz 12 fret dread).

enjoy

d
You're not getting the Brentrup mandolin instead?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-20-2015, 03:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Jim Tordoff has done a splendid job since he revitalized the Podium - and he is a great person in every respect.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG View Post
Jim Tordoff has done a splendid job since he revitalized the Podium - and he is a great person in every respect.
He is, indeed.

I'd bought several guitars from him over the last decade (wow, it really has been that long), but had never met him until last year.

When I found out that Jeff Daniels (yes, the actor, but also a singer/songwriter . . check out his website) was performing in Minneapolis last fall, I scheduled a trip up to see Jeff play and to meet Jim. Bought us both tickets to go hear Jeff play and sing.

A few weeks before the show, Jeff cancelled (due to the Emmy's), but I decided to go ahead and make the trip anyway just to meet Jim for the first time and to check out Minneapolis for the first time. Due to the last minute cancellation, we got to see the replacement act for free (and kept the Jeff Daniels tickets for when he would be rescheduled in 2015 some time).

Well, the 2015 show was this past Wednesday (a week before Thanksgiving). Fortunately the weather wasn't all that bad, and Jim and I had a great time at the show, and I got to spend the next afternoon trying out a lot of guitars.

Maybe one of these days I'll find a reason to come to Florida and meet you, too, Jon. Just giving you fair warning.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to go see Jeff Daniels, do it! Here's a song they did last night . . . note the cigarette box guitars!

You can google the same song shot from a phone if you want to hear the "back story" on those cigarette box guitars that inspired the guitars. Oh, and the female vocalist (Amanda) is now Ben Daniels' wife (so Jeff's daughter-in-law).

And don't miss a chance to go see Jim at the Podium if you are ever in the area, either.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

enjoy

d
Why oh why do you do this to me! I have been trying to "be a good kid" and stay out of there. It is only about a half hour drive for me, so it isn't easy to "just say no".

I only met Jim after the Podium merge, since I had never been to Guitar Rodeo. Yes, he is a great guy to do business with. He did the set up on my SCGC Firefly right then when I bought/traded for it. I enjoy talking with him, as well as with the other folks that work there.

The neighborhood where they are is where my wife used to live before we were married. Unfortunately, the last time I was there (and got the Firefly, probably 8 weeks ago or so), there was construction on and around their street, making it a bit weird getting to the store. I suppose now with this thread, I will need to make a trip there really soon to see if that construction is finished. Yes, that is the story I will use this time. Honey, I need to know if the street in front of The Podium is open yet...(and then, look what followed me home, can I keep it?).

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-20-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Unfortunately, the last time I was there (and got the Firefly, probably 8 weeks ago or so), there was construction on and around their street, making it a bit weird getting to the store. I suppose now with this thread, I will need to make a trip there really soon to see if that construction is finished. Yes, that is the story I will use this time. Honey, I need to know if the street in front of The Podium is open yet...(and then, look what followed me home, can I keep it?).
Don't read this if you still want to use the excuse.

The construction is now done. Except for a few lights that still need to be wired up (treat them as 4-way stops for the moment).
Old 11-20-2015, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Don't read this if you still want to use the excuse.

The construction is now done. Except for a few lights that still need to be wired up (treat them as 4-way stops for the moment).
Uh oh!

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-21-2015, 11:39 PM

That Bashkin is a killer deal!
Old 11-22-2015, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

So I went to The Podium yesterday and played a few guitars. Phil Heywood was there and I much preferred listening to him play. Every guitar he played sounded like him, though each had its characteristics. It was a fun time visiting with people, talking guitars, amplifiers, etc. One thing I came away with was a very strong validation that we really do need to "try before we buy". What we think we want based on paper specs (or forum comments) or some Youtube video, may not at all be right when we actually play it, while what may not have seemed interesting on paper or in a Youtube video may turn out to be just right. This is the case for me, more often than not.

As for the Bashkin, there used to be two of these at The Podium. One had a spruce top and the other a cedar. The cedar top guitar remains right now. Dave Roos had commented when both were here that they were a bargain at the price. I looked up Bashkin and the site is quite impressive. I played both at the time and thought they were very, very nice, but not really for me. As I get older, I seem to develop a much keener sense of what is right for me as a completely separate thing from how nice a given guitar is.

Yesterday, there was a used Kelday 12 fret 000. Dave told us a bit about it and Phil played it. I also played it a bit. Another customer took it home on trial. I looked up the builder when I got home and it turns out that this is a really premier guitar from a very highly regarded builder in Scotland. Who knew? Dave said he could only find one other Kelday available on the net anywhere. Apparently (according to several web sites), Tony McManus plays them and did an entire album with his. I learn something new every time I go to The Podium.

Dave also told me about Mission volume pedals. Apparently they have a really nice buffer in them that a lot of players are now using. It turned out that these are available at a new small store quite near me called El Diablo. I stopped there on my way home for the first time yesterday. When I walked in, the owner offered me cookies and pop while I looked around. There were a number of other people there, so the word must be out about this place already. It is yet another new small shop and they had plenty of these pedals and other goodies, even an old Gibson Howard Roberts. I will think about getting one of these volume pedals. No rush since they have plenty on hand, but when Dave recommends a product, he is always right (in my experience over the years). It is really nice to hear about something and be able to just drive over to a shop and see it.

I did go home with a couple of Oasis humidifiers for my SCGC Firefly and Taylor 912c for the winter season and a set of Santa Cruz low tension strings to try on my Firefly the next time I change strings.

It is really a privilege to have guitar stores such as The Podium, Twin Town, Willie's American Guitars, and several others around here, not to mention three Guitar Centers and several Music Go Round stores. There are a couple of new, small guitar shops that opened recently in St. Paul that I have not yet been to. The Twin Cities is a very musically active community.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion