The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2015, 06:28 AM

Default 2014 Martin D28 Marquis vs Custom Shop Promo Series Package A

Hello,

... still searching for a guitar and would appreciate your help

How does Standard Martin D28 Custom Shop Promo Series Package A compares with D28 Marquis soundwise? I didnt have the chance yet to play a Marquis.

I played today the D28 Custom Shop Promo Series Package A, includes:

Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
Body size: D-14 Fret
Solid Sitka Spruce Top
Solid East Indian Rosewood Back and Sides
Solid Black Ebony Fingerboard
25.4" Scale Length
20 Total Frets
Included: Martin 640 Hard Case
Finish: Natural Gloss
Made in Nazareth, Pennsylvania

and the following Custom Shop Added Features

Scalloped 5/16" Sitka Spruce Braces
Grained Ivoroid Binding
Grover Vintage Nickel Tuners
Beveled & Polished Faux Tortoise Pickguard
Genuine 12/4 Mahogany Neck with 1 3/4" Nut Width
String Spacing at Bridge is 2 3/16" Width (confirmed by my calipers)

Thank you
Old 11-21-2015, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Hi Brian...I have both of those guitars. The D-28 Custom is in my ears more similar to the voice of an HD-28. The upgrades are nice as I don't care for the more narrow string spacing on the standard D-28 or the black pickguard. And I prefer the open back tuners. And the neck is very comfortable.

The D-28 Marquis has a lot more bass response and is more "full" sounding across the board. It's like "dark chocolate". The neck is more full and cheeky. Mine is an Ambertone and looks as good as it sounds.

If I could only have one it would be the Marquis but that's me...you need to decide for yourself. Best of luck and know that between those two Martin's there is no right or wrong. Just different flavors!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

I like my D28 Marquis because it's the most balanced sounding Martin dread I've ever heard. Yes, the bass is strong, but so is the treble and midrange. I love the wide fret board too--it's like a playground for my fingers--but you need to make sure you like that. Some find it too wide.

Can't comment on the other one. As always, try before you buy and please yourself.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:36 AM

I know you didn't ask about this guitar but here goes. There is a used '37 D28 Authentic that Buck is selling in the UMGF Buy and Sell section for $4300. That is an incredible buy on a great guitar. It is a lot more guitar than the Marquis for not much more money. Run don't walk.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:39 AM

The D-28 Marquis has "Golden Era" style bracing which is lighter than Martin's Series A package with more a more svelte contour and a smaller bridge plate.
Moreover, the X braces on the D-28 Marquis are "forward shifted" closer to the sound hole for more bass response.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:50 AM

D-28 Marquis are great guitars, I owned one for about 5 years, but traded it against a Madagascar America's Guitar. The reason I bring it up is I really prefer Madi to EIR, also had a 000-42MEC Madi and currently a CS OM-28 Madi.

My opinion, but I' take a used D-28 '37 Authentic (Madagascar) over a Marquis. Marquis have GE bracing which is lighter than standard, but the AUthentics bracing is the lightest Martin offers and you can feel it in responsiveness and hear it in vintage tone.

Again, Marquis are great, but IMHO Authentics are Martins current pinnacle. Best of luck...

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I haven't tried the D-28 Authentic '37 but would love to. The two Authentic's I've owned were both the OM models. And while they were excellent guitars I found that they weren't for me? So when it's available I will try a dread...who knows?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Hi Brian...I have both of those guitars. The D-28 Custom is in my ears more similar to the voice of an HD-28. The upgrades are nice as I don't care for the more narrow string spacing on the standard D-28 or the black pickguard. And I prefer the open back tuners. And the neck is very comfortable.

The D-28 Marquis has a lot more bass response and is more "full" sounding across the board. It's like "dark chocolate". The neck is more full and cheeky. Mine is an Ambertone and looks as good as it sounds.

If I could only have one it would be the Marquis but that's me...you need to decide for yourself. Best of luck and know that between those two Martin's there is no right or wrong. Just different flavors!

Thank you, I agree the D-28 custom sounds similar to HD-28, perhaps a little bit sharper. Im trying to find one that suits also my voice since I will use for songwriting
Old 11-21-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericduplantis View Post
I know you didn't ask about this guitar but here goes. There is a used '37 D28 Authentic that Buck is selling in the UMGF Buy and Sell section for $4300. That is an incredible buy on a great guitar. It is a lot more guitar than the Marquis for not much more money. Run don't walk.
Hi, thanks. Its a bit out of my budget, do you have the link?
Old 11-21-2015, 08:57 AM

If you are not a member on the UMGF just send him a PM here. His name is Todd Yates.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 PM

I'm biased since I have and love my Marquis.

The Marquis comes with a nicer case, and Red Spruce, and I wouldn't expect the CS model has the long saddle. All are nice things to have in my book.

I always think it's best to compare two guitars on their merits, but I would prefer the features on a Marquis to the CS one in the OP.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-28 marquis