The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
I enjoyed reading this very informative reply; if you don't mind answering few quick questions about OA - it looks all current available treatments focus on dealing with the symptoms (pain/swelling/inflamation). Is there anything that actually reverses/repairs the joint damage? Also, I was curious how joint-replacement works for finger joints?

Thanks
I don't mind chiming in but I'm not sure I have answers.

To my knowledge, nothing I'm aware of will restore the erosion that is a big part of OA. It's certainly possible that things have changed since I last dug into this stuff, but at that time, erosion seemed to be pretty much a one-way street. Things can be done to mitigate erosion but I don't think it can actually be reversed. Secondary inflammation can be mitigated, of course.

I really don't know much about finger joint replacement. Technology changes pretty quickly in these realms and sometimes, what seems to be a good solution may be less so over time. If I were contemplating joint replacement, I'd want to get a lot of information before preceding, preferably from multiple independent sources. A given clinician may be a fan of a particular approach while someone else may have quite a different experience with that remedy. Triangulating a bit to get a sense of where the consensus is can be helpful (but not necessarily a guarantee of success by any means). Lots of ideas seem to have mixed or spotty evidence; some have essentially none. It's kind of a mine field and having the guidance of a personal health professional that you trust is important. Thinking changes as new approaches crop up and go through periods of evaluation, both formally and informally. Unfortunately, it isn't like identifying a stable pathogen that can be eliminated with the appropriate treatment. Lots of processes come into play. Arthritis is not a well-understood group of illnesses, which has resulted in lots of divergent approaches. And clearly, not everyone responds to any given treatment in the same way. So to some extent, it's a matter of playing the odds -- opting for approaches that seem to have the best results the most often for people whose circumstances are as similar to yours as possible. If that fails, you can start exploring alternative approaches but I personally think that doing so with caution and guidance is wise.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
What organ? Are you a Naturopathic? Interesting response to Willies digit.
I'm a chiropractor/kinesiologist/nutritionist
Started learning nutrition at UC Berkeley, 1969-72, got real education meeting people at my job selling vitamins, foods, herbs, and seeing people prevent, fix, even reverse health problems.
As a chiro, learned about Royal Lee, Standard Process Supplements-all made from kosher animal, vegetable, root, fruit, nut, seed, herb, organically grown/humanely treated since about 1922, in Palmyra, Wi.
The program that generically reverses decades of stiffness/ weakness, mental fog, is a 21 day purification program. It detoxes liver/intestines/pancreas/kidney
After that, and with dietary changes we support the adrenals, liver, and essential fatty acids.
I know their website has lots of info. They sell to doctors, but many holistic md's, chiro's, acupuncturists, naturopaths, osteopaths, herbalists use their protocols. Musicians are my favorite patients, good luck!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Thank you! Is there a brand/dosage you recommend? I appreciate it.
I only buy/sell supplements from companies I've used for 20-30 years.
Honestly, there is so much B.S. and deceit in the supplement industry, it's awful.
EPO I use is 500 mg, I use 3- 3x/day, symptoms sometime disappear in 5 -10 days, improve in 3 or 4........unless it's an overuse syndrome, or a true joint pathology. The company I use for this is surprisingly, one of the highest quality/ethics, and lowest price! Dee Cee Labs, they're in Tennessee. I think they sell to chiropractors, but ethical health food stores will have a good label. I avoid supplements at places like costco, walmart, target, especially herbs.
We've invested a lot of time and $ testing supplements over the years, and these places sell minimally bio-active supplements at best, and far east poisonous ingredients at worst, (remember the tryptophan hysteria in the late 1980's)
As a personal testimonial, supplements have reversed my 3 decade Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and trigger finger/thumb.......and the trigger finger is one scary situation for someone who uses hands for work/and pleasure.
Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion