The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2015, 06:30 AM

Exclamation Help! Truss rod problem

I got a new Tak G321 about a month ago and I encountered low E and A string buzz so I tried to adjust the truss rod. I am not experienced with truss rod so I tightened it and loosened as I thought it should.Now the first problem is when i turn it either way at first goes as it should, but after maybe a half of turn it almost turns freely then after that it goes as normal again. And the second problem is that how much I turn it, it almost does nothing. Do you know what is the problem and how can I fix it? I don't think the truss rod is broken because I haven't heard any snap or something like that.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:06 AM

First thing is if you have buzzing, than you want to loosen the truss rod which means turning it counter clockwise. Don't do more than a quarter turn. If you did, and it did nothing, than it probably means there are other issues that require more than slight truss rod adjustment.

There are many on this forum that will tell you never to adjust the truss rodd at all to correct buzzing. I've done it to correct slight buzzing but it has it's limits. It might be time to take it in to a luthier to look at it.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaradisic View Post
I got a new Tak G321 about a month ago and I encountered low E and A string buzz so I tried to adjust the truss rod. I am not experienced with truss rod so I tightened it and loosened as I thought it should.Now the first problem is when i turn it either way at first goes as it should, but after maybe a half of turn it almost turns freely then after that it goes as normal again. And the second problem is that how much I turn it, it almost does nothing. Do you know what is the problem and how can I fix it? I don't think the truss rod is broken because I haven't heard any snap or something like that.
What you described "turns freely" before engaging again is entirely normal for a double action truss rod...the link below is a video by John Kitakis the Pono / Koolau Guitar owner on this and related truss rod issues.

https://vimeo.com/94290262

Pip

Last edited by Pippin; 11-21-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:51 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Though a slight adjustment of the truss rod could fix buzzing, there are other causes, and it would be good to understand the different adjustments. I'd suggest reading these pages:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/r...tar/action.php (and its links)
All the very good information on http://frets.com, maybe starting here: http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/...buzzintro.html
Old 11-21-2015, 09:12 AM

When you get buzzing, the first thing you do before cranking away at anything is to diagnose what is causing the buzzing. There are a number of reasons why frets buzz. Does it buzz only with open strings? Which frets? Check your relief. Check for high/low frets. Check your action at the first fret. Only after you diagnose the problem does it make any sense at all to take steps to correct it.

As for your truss rod that turns freely, you probably have a 2-way rod. If you turn it clockwise, it puts pressure on the fretboard side of the neck to remove relief. If you turn it counter-clockwise it puts pressure on the bottom side to add more relief. There is a point between exerting pressure up versus down where it isn't exerting pressure in either direction and it turns freely.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=sasaradisic;4722331]... I am not experienced with truss rod... QUOTE]

Stop there. Take it to a skilled tech. Hope you didn't damage it.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
When you get buzzing, the first thing you do before cranking away at anything is to diagnose what is causing the buzzing. There are a number of reasons why frets buzz. Does it buzz only with open strings? Which frets? Check your relief. Check for high/low frets. Check your action at the first fret. Only after you diagnose the problem does it make any sense at all to take steps to correct it.

As for your truss rod that turns freely, you probably have a 2-way rod. If you turn it clockwise, it puts pressure on the fretboard side of the neck to remove relief. If you turn it counter-clockwise it puts pressure on the bottom side to add more relief. There is a point between exerting pressure up versus down where it isn't exerting pressure in either direction and it turns freely.
It buzz open and from first to around 7th fret.And could you tell me how I could check relief and action at first fret, and how can I diagnose what is causing strings to buzz?
Old 11-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
And could you tell me how I could check relief and action at first fret, and how can I diagnose what is causing strings to buzz?
I'll repeat the "buzz diagnosis" link I gave above: http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/...buzzintro.html. Start at that page and look at the alternatives. There are many reasons for buzzing, including truss road adjustment, too-low action, one fret popping up, and lots more.

To check relief, capo at the first fret and hold down a string at the 14th fret. At the sixth fret, there should be a very small gap, about .01 - .02 inches. http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician...Adj/tradj.html

To check action at the first fret, hold down a string between the second and third fret. There should be a tiny, tiny gap between the string and the first fret. You may just be able to feel it by pressing down with your fingernail. http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician...nutaction.html
Old 11-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

http://www.charlestauber.com/luthier...May%202015.pdf

excellent info inside the link, read and learn

d
Old 11-21-2015, 06:27 PM

Thank you very much for informations and link, and I just have one more question. My biggest concern is about truss rod being broken. Do you guys think that my truss rod is or isn't broken?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Guest 1928

It's highly unlikely that the truss rod is broken. Impossible to be certain without having it in hand of course. Once you figure out how measure the relief it will all make more sense.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=ohYew812;4722484]
Quote:
... I am not experienced with truss rod... QUOTE]

Stop there. Take it to a skilled tech. Hope you didn't damage it.

Sounds like solid advice to me!!!
Mackenzie&Marr "Opeongo"-spruce/mahogany

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion