The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2001, 08:55 PM

Post Feedback issues...help!

Dear Forum,

I'm kinda new at guitar amplification. And I have a 614ce with the stereo blender. I'm mostly a church player (for my youth group...which doesn't have a large room), so I usually go through a PA system rather than an acoustic amp that's directly linked to the PA or mic'ed to the PA. I'm getting a lot of feedback from using the mic portion of the slider. I usually have to go pickup all the way or just a little bit of the mic. Maybe 2 millimeters towards the mic direction. I've tried adjusting the notch, contour, and frequency sliders according to fishman.com's instructions...but no luck. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!
Old 06-07-2001, 11:26 PM

Hey there -

In general, an internal mic in an acoustic guitar is going to be pretty feedback-prone. Most likely you'll usually have to go pickup all the way. Just be happy that you don't get feedback with the pickup.

Preventing feedback depends a lot on your position relative to the PA speakers. If you are standing close to them or in front of them, then you'll get feedback really easily. You can standing on different places on the stage to see if it helps. If you are using a stage monitor, you can try to turn down your guitar in the monitor. Your Taylor should be loud enough for you to hear yourself acoustically.

Ken
Old 06-08-2001, 12:01 AM

Thanks Kenliu. I've been positioning myself in all different places...and it's the same. It's probably the size of the room. That's why we don't really need monitors. The room is so small that you can hear yourself even through the PA system. Anyway...I guess I'll just contact fishman to see if they've got anything that I can do for such a small setup. Thanks though!
Old 06-08-2001, 12:25 AM
Eric Skye

Try using a sound hole cover for the small room/big volume thing.
________
Nikol

Last edited by min7b5; 09-03-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2001, 01:28 AM

Don't sound hole covers only help if you're not using a mic? That's what I understood. I was always under the impression that sound hole covers are most effective for only the pickup giving feedback. The pickup on the guitar is fine. No feedback there. Only from the mic.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:54 PM

Hi Ky,
Sound hole covers can actually really help with the mic blender system (OBB). Since the condensor mic is inside the guitar (right about where the controls for volume and everything are), what's happening when you get feedback with the mic is that your own signal/sound is traveling through the PA, and back into the soundhole. With a soundhole cover, it can help to prevent some or most of the sound that comes out of the speakers that goes back into your guitar.
When ever I play with monitors, I always got this problem, so I had to use the piezo pickup side of the OBB. I hated it, cuz it doesn't sound as rich and full as the mic'd pickup. I went out and bout a LuteHole Soundhole Cover from musiciansfriend a couple of months ago, though I haven't tried it with a monitor, I've tried it right infront of my acoustic amp and it seems to work well. Looking forward to when I get to play with a monitor again and see if I still get the weird feedback. =P Anyways, good luck in your search. =)
Randall

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion