The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-13-2023, 01:04 PM

Default After 30 years, I'm buying a new acoustic, here's my shortlist

So yeah, been playing for 30 years (hobby playing), and all this time my acoustic has been a Yamaha APX-4 I bought new in the 90's. Some other gear (usually electrics or pedals) as in some way stepped in front and I've make due with the APX4. A while back I've actually took the plunge in a new FGX5 but that did not go well (posted here about it).

Slight change in strategy, I've been looking at the 500€ to 750€ range and there's a lot of options. Here's my shortlist for a dreadnought (playing at home, some recording, tag a long in holidays), going to try and try them all, no clear winner on paper, each one has it's little nags (Epis light wood neck, Fender ornate details and tiger pickguard, etc).

- Epiphone Hummingbird or Masterbilt Frontier

- Eastman E1D or E2D

- Guild D140 SB

- Fender PD-220E

Guild and Eastman don't have pickup so I would have the extra expense but could choose a higher quality pickup than the usual Fishman. Fender wasn't on my radar but it popped up on my research and seems fantastic value for money.

What do you think?
Old 08-13-2023, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

I was considering both the Frontier and the Excellente, and to be sure, bought both and wound up returning the Frontier. I thought the Excellente was nicer, I felt like I could hear the individual strings more. This video led me on that path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxvBRob5nA&t=37s

I really thought the Excellente was awesome, but prefer a wider nut.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:15 PM

When would you be requiring a pickup?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 08-13-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromitspapa View Post
I was considering both the Frontier and the Excellente, and to be sure, bought both and wound up returning the Frontier. I thought the Excellente was nicer, I felt like I could hear the individual strings more. This video led me on that path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxvBRob5nA&t=37s

I really thought the Excellente was awesome, but prefer a wider nut.
Didn't know about the Excellent, looks great too, thanks! Although it is a lot more expensive, at least here in Portugal!
Old 08-13-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
When would you be requiring a pickup?
Basically when I record sometimes or when I'm playing with headphones, learning some tune at night (usually finger-picked).

Mostly will play unplugged, but will require pickup enough times to be a nuisance if not present.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:04 PM

Do you have access to an Alvarez Masterworks guitar? Having own it and a Fender Paramount (they are about similar priced), the Masterworks guitar is definitely a better guitar.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:57 PM

try an Eastman. They produce world class hand made instruments that are second to none.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:10 PM

I’ll second the suggestion for the Eastman. Terrific guitars, not just terrific guitars for the money but terrific guitars overall.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-13-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomespt View Post
...I've been looking at the 500€ to 750€ range and there's a lot of options. Here's my shortlist for a dreadnought (playing at home, some recording, tag-along in holidays), going to try to try them all, no clear winner on paper, each one has its little nags (Epi's light wood neck, Fender ornate details and tiger pickguard, etc.)...

- Guild D140 SB

Guild and Eastman don't have a pickup so I would have the extra expense...
If you're OK with a 17" full-jumbo, this one might be right up your alley in terms of price/tone/features (including a built-in pickup):

https://guildguitars.com/g/f-250e-deluxe/
Old 08-13-2023, 05:21 PM

The usual advice is still the best, try everything you can anywhere close to your budget and buy the one that sings to you. My most recent serious guitar purchase (im a sucker for a cheap deal lol) i decided now was the time to buy the nice acoustic, so i went to the local guitar center and had a list of what i wanted to try in my price range. I never thought i would buy a taylor as it isnt my usual preference when discussed in generalities. But after trying everything they had I thought i wanted i didnt have anything i felt compelled to buy so i happened to pickup a taylor 414ce. I dont know if it was made under a full moon while a band of naked witches performed rituals or what but that was the one that spoke to me. Even my wife (who famously believes all guitars sound the same) perked up when i played the first note. After i had fallen in love with it, and the wife had laid the judgement that i couldnt leave without it, i tried every other 14 they had up to a 914ce and none of them really came close to what that 414 did in my hands.

Any who just food for thought.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:36 PM

The best one here is the 5 series red label yamaha you didn't like.
With that out of the picture I'd look at the Eastmans.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I’ll second the suggestion for the Eastman. Terrific guitars, not just terrific guitars for the money but terrific guitars overall.

Wade Hampton Miller
Yep, you can't go wrong with Eastman IMO
Old 08-13-2023, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I agree the Eastmans are nice, but the Guilds built in recent years are fantastic. I played one in Germany a few years ago and thought is was a USA model until I looked into the sound hole. They've really stepped up since Ren Ferguson got involved.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

If they are available on your shopping tour you may want to try one of the Inspired by Gibson Epiphone models. IMO Epiphone really stepped up their game with these all solid wood models.

I completely agree with the comments about playing them all and one will speak to you.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:33 PM

I've played a few of those mentioned here - and I would definitely go for the Eastman!
The only guitars in this price range that can compete are Yamahas (I tried the FG3 and FS3 myself before buying my Eastman E1D. The Epiphones look nice, but tonally aren't even in the same league as the Eastman; Asian-made Guilds used to be great (I own a GAD30 from the late '00s myself, great guitar), but the current ones feel and sound kinda cheap.
Of course, YMMV, and with acoustics it's always best to try before you buy - but in that price range, you choice should be limited to either Eastman or Yamaha (or maybe higher end Recording King, and maybe Blueridge).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion