The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2023, 03:02 PM

Default Question for luthiers

I have known a few luthiers simply by doing business with them, but only one as a friend. He made classical guitars by order and charged a bundle for them. He is still living, now far from here, but it is decades since he has done luthier work, his eye site for precision work eventually letting him down.

He had a strange (to me) habit I should have asked him about but never did; he would finish an instrument completely, hang it on his wall, play it daily, but wouldn't call the customer for 3 to 6 months to let them know it was ready.

Was there a purpose in this delay? Perhaps a sort of "settling in"? And, if so, may that be a source of the problem we sometimes see with fret rises and neck instability in factory made instruments?

I wonder how long a factory guitar has been assembled when it goes into the packaging
Old 04-22-2023, 03:06 PM

It was probably him wanting the guitar to settle in before he sent it out. Brand new custom guitars typically have a few kinks that have to be worked out.

whm
Old 04-22-2023, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

One of the main luthiers here in the Houston area is incredibly slow with finish work. lt could easily take 18 months to get refin work back. The shop is overwhelmed with crap from Guitar Center and setup work on $150 guitars. I have to chase him down every time I turn stuff in.

+
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-22-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
It was probably him wanting the guitar to settle in before he sent it out. Brand new custom guitars typically have a few kinks that have to be worked out.

whm
Absolutely agree. Most luthier made guitar are often lightly built (when compared with most commercial guitars). My first custom guitar exhibited lots of changes in its first six months and has now settled in.

Rick
Old 04-22-2023, 03:25 PM

Tom Doerr let my guitar settle out for about 4 weeks before shipping. I think it's a valuable part of the process to make sure things are in order for the customer and ultimately for the luthier who needs to stand by their product.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-22-2023, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Default What guitar are you playing in you sound sample?

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Tom Doerr let my guitar settle out for about 4 weeks before shipping. I think it's a valuable part of the process to make sure things are in order for the customer and ultimately for the luthier who needs to stand by their product.
Hi, I am curious to know, what guitar are you playing in the sound sample. It has such a sweet sound. I know a lot of that is you, most of it, but the sonic qualities of the guitar are beautiful. Curious to know what it is.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:11 PM

Agree with Wade and srick and others. Bob Taylor has often said that guitars go through three main stages of maturity: One within a couple of hours of first being stung up and placed under tension, one at a couple of months, and another at a couple of decades. I'm not sure how young my guitars were at our initial meet & greet, but probably 2-6 months. That luthier is probably trying to get into the middle category. "We will sell no wine before its time" as the old slogan goes.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Absolutely agree. Most luthier made guitar are often lightly built (when compared with most commercial guitars). My first custom guitar exhibited lots of changes in its first six months and has now settled in.

Rick
Wade and Rick have it. I once had a custom build that I picked up virtually the day it was first strung, because it coincided with me being in the luthier's area.
It sounded good that day but over the next few weeks it changed a lot, getting better and better as it settled. I am sure most luthiers would like that settling period to be largely over before they send a guitar out.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
Hi, I am curious to know, what guitar are you playing in the sound sample. It has such a sweet sound. I know a lot of that is you, most of it, but the sonic qualities of the guitar are beautiful. Curious to know what it is.
Thank you Merlemantel!!

The guitar is a McCollum GA, built in 2000. Top wood is Italian Spruce and the Back and sides...Brazilian. Yes, really a sweet sound from that particular guitar! The tune is an original instrumental. Thanks so much for taking a listen!!
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-22-2023, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Thank you Merlemantel!!

The guitar is a McCollum GA, built in 2000. Top wood is Italian Spruce and the Back and sides...Brazilian. Yes, really a sweet sound from that particular guitar! The tune is an original instrumental. Thanks so much for taking a listen!!
Best,
Fred
Fred, the piece is beautifully conceived and played. I enjoyed it very much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion