The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Default GC Roseville, MN

There are 4 remaining Guitar Centers in the Twin Cities. I was very impressed with the staff and inventory at the Oakdale location. Two winters ago I stopped at the Roseville location looking for a J45. The salesperson said they didn't have any which was a good thing. Their humidification system went down over the Christmas weekend when they were closed and about 10 higher end Martins and Taylors developed serious top cracks. I stopped by yesterday to return a couple of items and do a quick walk through the acoustic room. I noticed a pink tag on a Martin dread. I thought used or maybe sale. It was a new D35 with a center seem crack from the bridge to near the edge. What struck me as odd was that it was not repaired. They also had it marked down only $500. You can probably find a new, uncracked one for that discount. If I understand correctly, same humidification system failure. I think they may want to invest in an alarm on their system.

Last edited by tomcstokes59; 05-15-2024 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

I once tried to buy a 57 Black Beauty Custom Shop Historic from GC that hung on the wall a long time and was in dire need of some TLC. Tarnished hardware and too many kids playing it after eating at Taco Bell. I offered them a fair used price and they would not budge of their price. That guitar hung there for years after that.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-15-2024, 08:43 AM

Not surprised. I swing by that GC here and there and have seen quite a few damaged guitars unegenerously marked down. I don't care if it's repairable. You're selling a new guitar with a cracked top, you're gonna have to do better than that.

I don't even know why I keep going there. Staff doesn't seem to care much about anything, and having to call one of them to unlock the nice guitars is a drag, though I understand theft is a big issue.

The website is never up to date. So many times I've showed only to find out they actually didn't have the model I was interested in in stock. And don't get me started on the deader-than-dead strings on half their stuff, except Taylors for some reason. Always in tune with good strings. Martins and Gibsons... good luck.

Problem is there isn't that many great options in the TC. I love LaVonne but it's a bit of a hike for me. Willie's is close, but aside from one nice guy, whose name I donÂ’t know most everyone else there really has a knack for making you feel like youÂ’re not part of the kewl crew . I surmise they treat you differently if you buy from them, but they certainly don't make me want to give them any money, so... Fret Central is great, but the appointment system is also a drag...

Problem is there isn't that many great options in the TC. I love LaVonne but it's a bit of a hike for me. Willie's is close, but aide from one nice guy who works there, most everyone else has a knack for making you feel like you're not part of the kewl crew. I bet they treat you diffetently if you buy from them, but they certainly don't make me want to give them money, so... Fret Central is great, but the appointment system is also a drag...

OK, rant over...

Last edited by Greg1075; 05-15-2024 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:46 AM

I rather buy a used one than a busted new one.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 05-15-2024, 08:51 AM

I'm glad I have Gryphon just 20 minutes away.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1075 View Post
Not surprised. I swing by that GC here and there and have seen quite a few damaged guitars unegeneriously marked down. I don't care if it's repairable. You're selling a new guitar with a cracked top, you're gonna have to do better than that.

I don't even know why I keep going there. Staff doesn't seem to care much about anything, and having to call one of them to unlock the nice guitars is a drag, though I understand theft is a big issue.

The website is never up to date. So many times I've showed only to find out they actually didn't have the model I was interested in in stock. And don't get me started on the deader-than-dead strings on half their stuff, except Taylors for some reason. Always in tune with good strings. Martins and Gibsons... good luck.

Problem is there isn't that many great options in the TC. I love LaVonne but it's a bit of a hike for me. Willie's is close, but aside from one nice guy, whose name I donÂ’t know most everyone else there really has a knack for making you feel like youÂ’re not part of the kewl crew . I surmise they treat you differently if you buy from them, but they certainly don't make me want to give them any money, so... Fret Central is great, but the appointment system is also a drag...

Problem is there isn't that many great options in the TC. I love LaVonne but it's a bit of a hike for me. Willie's is close, but aide from one nice guy who works there, most everyone else has a knack for making you feel like you're not part of the kewl crew. I bet they treat you diffetently if you buy from them, but they certainly don't make me want to give them money, so... Fret Central is great, but the appointment system is also a drag...

OK, rant over...
Check out Twin Town Guitars. They recently had an incredible selection of Gibson acoustics. The GC in Oakdale is nice. My experience at Willie's was also not overly positive, specifically my interaction with the owner.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1075 View Post

OK, rant over...
Dave's in LaCrosse is what, two hours away? With his selection, that would be well worth the drive...
Old 05-15-2024, 03:32 PM

Another recommendation for Twin Town in Minneapolis.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-15-2024, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I posted a video that a fried posted from that GC a few months ago with all the stuff cracked in that room. What a nightmare. If they did the repair work and then asked that price, they might still be high.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I posted a video that a fried posted from that GC a few months ago with all the stuff cracked in that room. What a nightmare. If they did the repair work and then asked that price, they might still be high.
They must have not run the humidifiers last winter.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-15-2024, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Here's the video i re-posted a few months ago: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3i7j...BiNWFlZA%3D%3D
Old 05-15-2024, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
That was my biggest surprise. They didn't fix the guitar and the price was not reflective of the condition. You would think they would have some type of alarm on the room in case humidification went below 40%. They don't even sell a hygrometer with built in wifi or blue tooth.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
Check out Twin Town Guitars. They recently had an incredible selection of Gibson acoustics. The GC in Oakdale is nice. My experience at Willie's was also not overly positive, specifically my interaction with the owner.
Oh duh, forgot about TC Guitars. I do go there now and then and like them. Friendly staff and a good selection of acoustics. Recommended indeed.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
Dave's in LaCrosse is what, two hours away? With his selection, that would be well worth the drive...
I've been there a couple of times and have bought a D-18 and a D-15 from them. Their selection is great, no doubt. It's just that the distance makes it a no-go for a casual swing-by.

More importantly they do not accept returns. If you buy from them and realize you made a mistake, you're sol and will either have to sell privately at a loss, or trade in back to them at an even heavier loss, even if the guitar is 3 days old. I found that out the hard way.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Don’t forget Brickhouse Music in River Falls.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion