The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2014, 06:44 PM

Default learning strumming patterns/techniques

For a total absolute beginner. Any good you-tube videos or series out there? I am learning to play some with Andy's Guitar and getting a good sense of success. Just learned my 4th chord. But my strumming feels very unnatural and sometimes too hard or too soft. And hard to coordinate anything other than a 1-2-3-4 pattern along with trying to play the chords and remember the song lyrics. Reminds me of trying to pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories View Post
For a total absolute beginner. Any good you-tube videos or series out there? I am learning to play some with Andy's Guitar and getting a good sense of success. Just learned my 4th chord. But my strumming feels very unnatural and sometimes too hard or too soft. And hard to coordinate anything other than a 1-2-3-4 pattern along with trying to play the chords and remember the song lyrics. Reminds me of trying to pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time.
Justin guitar has a compete free beginner course, and each stage has strumming patterns and practice, with appropriate level songs to try out. I'd forget trying to sing along for some time, many find this very difficult to do, your strumming and chords need to be practically on autopilot before you can manage this.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you're exactly on track. Just takes time to get comfortable with the fingerlings...then the strumming...eventually rhythm/groove/feel comes along.

Keep it up!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:33 PM

It's a strange phenomenon, you will have it today and then tomorrow it's gone. Strumming is also subjective, go with what comes out of you….don't just be locked down to the basic patterns. If it sounds good to you….gowith it, if not go by the book. If you use Justin Guitar website, he is very good and only asks for contributions……..if you like him….send him a Pound or two.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Lol. We have all been there. It will come along with steady practice. Sounds like you are pursuing the right things to become proficient. Improvement feels like it takes forever for many of us. Keep at it!!

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1044 View Post
It's a strange phenomenon, you will have it today and then tomorrow it's gone. Strumming is also subjective, go with what comes out of you….don't just be locked down to the basic patterns. If it sounds good to you….gowith it, if not go by the book. If you use Justin Guitar website, he is very good and only asks for contributions……..if you like him….send him a Pound or two.
Fair point, but for those that struggle with strumming, learning some basic, commonly used patterns will help to develop up and down strumming, rhythm and timing, and hopefully, an ear for what is being played when learning new songs. As we progress, we all tend to deviate a bit from 'the record'. So long as it sits in the rhythm and is clearly recognisable as the song intended, it's all good.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 PM

Here's a great website I came across a couple of years ago. It includes many, many strum patterns with directional strumming notation and audio examples. They are also separated by time signature. Great practice tool! The only downside....doesn't work with the ipad.

http://www.strumpatterns.com/Strums/strumsPage02.htm
Old 03-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

I agree with the posters above that justin guitar is really good. I also like Marty Swartz on YouTube. I also agree with another poster that trying to sing and play in the beginning can be very hard! There was no way I could sing and play at the same time when I first started. When I was first learning I found it easier to use thinner picks, especially those with a little grip so they didn't fling out of my fingers as easily.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracecovenant View Post
Here's a great website I came across a couple of years ago. It includes many, many strum patterns with directional strumming notation and audio examples. They are also separated by time signature. Great practice tool! The only downside....doesn't work with the ipad.

http://www.strumpatterns.com/Strums/strumsPage02.htm
Everyone learns differently, but a quick look at that, and it seems quite complicated, getting to know what all the symbols mean, I guess some might find it easier. I had enough of a hard time trying to learn DDuD etc... written patterns, because I couldn't hear the rhythm they're meant to be played to. In the end I gave up and just started listening to the rhythms played, and copied them. Muting came more naturally when needed too.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:56 AM

There's a lot more to it than "just strumming". I'm an exclusively finger style player and that is partly because I'm lousy at strumming.
Keep at it, it's all fun.
Good luck.
MJRB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion