The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-27-2024, 05:02 PM

Default Best Microphone for Record an Acoustic

Hey Friends,

What microphone would you recommend for recording acoustic guitar? Give me an entry-level, medium-level, and high-level option if possible. Thanks and have a great weekend.

MK
Old 04-27-2024, 05:10 PM

Here is an example of the set up I have right now for recording. I used two wireless DJI mics to capture this recording.

https://youtu.be/l6uvIzM8bjc
Old 04-27-2024, 05:36 PM

Everyone will have their own favorites, but generally small diaphragm condensers are the choice. So, sticking with those:

High end: Schoeps CMC64 (CMC6 body with cardioid MK4 capsule) is probably the mic that gets the top reviews around here. Around $1650 each.

Mid: From the Shure SM81 ($400) to the mid-high Neumann KM184 ($850).

Budget: You can get good results with the sE Electronics sE7 ($120). The Line Audio CM4 (has to be ordered from No Hype Audio in Europe, about the same cost excluding shipping) punches above its price point.

BTW, there is a whole subforum for recording; you will get more answers if you post this question there.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:30 PM

Here is what I have for entry level recording, purely home use to record my playing for learning/improving...

- recently bought a used Rode NT5, records and sounds great
- my Shure SM58 is also useable but nothing like the NT5
- also have a AKG 214 which records really well, I love the clarity/sound

and occasionally when I don't want to set anything up, I use a Rode NT-USB+ with ok results
Old 04-28-2024, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

You might find this comparison I did a while back useful. 5 different pairs of mics at price points from $60-1650. Of these, the one I'd recommend (and use myself) is the Schoeps, but I think all of them did a decent job. The other mics I often use (not demo'd here), on the high end, are Brauner VM1s.

Old 04-28-2024, 03:15 AM

Thanks, Doug!

Excellent video, super helpful!

MK
Old 04-28-2024, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Generally a good quality matched pair of two small diameter condenser mikes for acoustic guitar recording.

Personally I have been recording with Microtech Gefell M295 or M300. Those particular mikes not made anymore but in general the company makes great mikes.

However many other great mikes to record with as you will see recommened on this recording part of this forum.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-28-2024, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Consider you may be working somewhat backwards with the criteria given.

That is to say I understand wanting to get a sense of the costs for the different levels (budget ranges and build quality of mic

BUT the vast number of available possible options in any one price category is difficult enough to sift through and make a decision.

The reality is while there are decent usable mics in all price ranges, there is still the "you get what you pay for" factor involved yet the value of which is totally subjective ..

Then by having three budget ranges you are compounding that large number of variables by basically 300%

So all that to say I always encourage folks to decide on reasonable a budget range based on your realistic personal disposable cash and what you likely know is you limits . And then shop in that range because that definitely help to focus your search

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-28-2024, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Generally a good quality matched pair of two small diameter condenser mikes for acoustic guitar recording.

Personally I have been recording with Microtech Gefell M295 or M300. Those particular mikes not made anymore but in general the company makes great mikes.

However many other great mikes to record with as you will see recommened on this recording part of this forum.
Hey Derek,
The Gefell M295 is discontinued, but I believe the M300 are still available.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-28-2024, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Hey Derek,
The Gefell M295 is discontinued, but I believe the M300 are still available.
I have the M300 mikes in addition to the M295s. The M300 is a very nice
mike that works well on the guitar - a bit warmer sounding overall than
the M295 mikes. If available I would say give them a strong consideration.

A recording I did using the M300s that I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 04-28-2024 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Everyone will have their own favorites, but generally small diaphragm condensers are the choice. So, sticking with those:

High end: Schoeps CMC64 (CMC6 body with cardioid MK4 capsule) is probably the mic that gets the top reviews around here. Around $1650 each.

Mid: From the Shure SM81 ($400) to the mid-high Neumann KM184 ($850).

Budget: You can get good results with the sE Electronics sE7 ($120). The Line Audio CM4 (has to be ordered from No Hype Audio in Europe, about the same cost excluding shipping) punches above its price point.

BTW, there is a whole subforum for recording; you will get more answers if you post this question there.
That's exactly what I would suggest !

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 04-28-2024, 08:13 PM

I bought the AudioTechnica AE5100 after seeing this video. Not super expensive, and it has been around long enough that you can find them used. It has become my favorite mic for ToneDexter 2 training:

Last edited by lkingston; 05-01-2024 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkennedy5683 View Post
Hey Friends,

What microphone would you recommend for recording acoustic guitar? Give me an entry-level, medium-level, and high-level option if possible. Thanks and have a great weekend.

MK

My votes go to:

Entry: Roswell Pro Audio k67x (think they're just under $500 USD)

We have a pair of these at the studio, they are great little workhorses. They get most jobs done & sound good.

Mid-level: KM-184 (right around $800 USD)

I just like KM184s. People love to hate on them, but they are great mics with a smooth & detailed sound.

High End: U87 ($3200, but if you know where to look you can find factory 2nds for around $2300 USD) or a Signal Art Electronics U47 clone (around $2300 USD).

The U87 is an industry standard for a reason & acoustic guitar is one of those tasks that it really shines on.

The SAE u47 is a superb mic, if you don't mind dealing with the idiosyncrasies of a tube mic (more delicate than it's solid state variants, warm up time, heat production, needing to stock extra tubes).

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 05-01-2024, 03:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

At the beginning of the session, the young turk recording engineer approached the grizzled veteran and posed a question, trying to put him on the spot:

"What is the best mic to record acoustic guitar?"

The grizzled veteran scratched his chin and stared off into the distance, thinking. He took his time and thought, and thought. Eventually, the young turk lost his patience and blurted out, "So, comeon! What is the best mic to record acoustic guitar?" The grizzled veteran scratched his head and thought some more. Then, still staring off into the distance, he muttered, pensively,

"It depends."

and shuffled back to work.

(Semi-quoted from a 1979 Recording Engineer/Producer Magazine article, from memory)

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-01-2024, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

I always encourage folks to decide on reasonable a budget range based on your realistic personal disposable cash and what you likely know is you limits . And then shop in that range because that definitely help to focus your search
That’s what I did. I swim at the bottom of the pond with my pair of sE8 SDCs ($525 the pair). Until recently, my room acoustics made it irrelevant which SDC I used. Now that I’ve entered the world of absorption gobo surround, I suppose it’s possible I’ll begin to find some limitations in the mics — but, for my purposes, I doubt it.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD