The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-17-2024, 07:22 PM

Nothing sounds like a good Les Paul through a good tube amp. I have had a few of them. I have also had a heritage h150..those are very nice guitars.

I would suggest playing both the 50s and 60s neck profile.

My heritage had a 50s neck feel.

I have owned an 81 and 2008 Les Paul custom and 2 Les Paul Traditionals......a 1994 studio and a 90s Les Paul special.

I currently have a custom shop 1957 reissue and it is by far my favorite electric guitar ever.

Pay attention to the Gibson classic Les Pauls as you can find one of those pre owned that is a bit easier on your wallet.

And do not get fooled by the standard, traditional and classic line up....they are all the same guitar just with a few different features

And if you do not like all of the split coils and such on some traditional and classic models....well just take them out and put in what you do like instead.

I thought for years that I preferred the 60s neck profile......until I played one of the larger 50s profile necks.....and now I am hooked.

I find that I am able to chord easier with the fatter neck......my wrist and finger joints seem to like it better as well.

I still have a few other guitars as well......but my r7 is my favorite..not sure if you have thought of the SG....but...you may like those as well....just an idea.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim View Post
Nothing sounds like a good Les Paul through a good tube amp. I have had a few of them. I have also had a heritage h150..those are very nice guitars.

I would suggest playing both the 50s and 60s neck profile.

My heritage had a 50s neck feel.

I have owned an 81 and 2008 Les Paul custom and 2 Les Paul Traditionals......a 1994 studio and a 90s Les Paul special.

I currently have a custom shop 1957 reissue and it is by far my favorite electric guitar ever.

Pay attention to the Gibson classic Les Pauls as you can find one of those pre owned that is a bit easier on your wallet.

And do not get fooled by the standard, traditional and classic line up....they are all the same guitar just with a few different features

And if you do not like all of the split coils and such on some traditional and classic models....well just take them out and put in what you do like instead.

I thought for years that I preferred the 60s neck profile......until I played one of the larger 50s profile necks.....and now I am hooked.

I find that I am able to chord easier with the fatter neck......my wrist and finger joints seem to like it better as well.

I still have a few other guitars as well......but my r7 is my favorite..not sure if you have thought of the SG....but...you may like those as well....just an idea.
Thanks for all the thoughts, appreciate your perspective on the necks in particular. I tried an SG again today, it’s been a couple of years. Same feeling, pretty nice but everything feels shifted to the left. Heavy neck and my fretting hand doesn’t sit in the right place. I’m sure I’d adapt but I’m looking for reasons to eliminate options, and that seems like a fair one. Just not as natural for me to play. The weight is sure nicer.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:57 AM

I've played a lot of Les Pauls over the years, but the one that I ended up buying is a semi-hollow version called the ES Les Paul, and you can sort of think of it as having more of an ES 330 tonality, in the more compact and equally iconic Les Paul body shape, with the addition of the f-holes that is. Never thought I'd have a Les Paul, but the ES is an absolute joy to play.

Which brings me to neck shape/playability. The ES Les Paul has a fairly chunky neck and I like it a lot, though my favored one for playing lead are the ones on my Ibanez guitars, which are wide and shallow in profile. I may have a preference in ways, but in the end, I don't have any problem playing with any neck profile and I kind of doubt anyone else does either, just preference.

And finally, about the Marshall. I've still got a couple, but my favorite Marshall is my Friedman Smallbox, which many think of as an idealized Marshall. I've also had the Friedman DS 40 and still have a JJ Jr. as well as a Fender Prosonic. If you really love Marshalls, at least take a look into a few of the Friedman amps, which could possibly sway your final decision.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 04-18-2024, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Thanks for all the thoughts, appreciate your perspective on the necks in particular. I tried an SG again today, it’s been a couple of years. Same feeling, pretty nice but everything feels shifted to the left. Heavy neck and my fretting hand doesn’t sit in the right place. I’m sure I’d adapt but I’m looking for reasons to eliminate options, and that seems like a fair one. Just not as natural for me to play. The weight is sure nicer.
SGs have a LOT of neck. It takes a little getting used to. But they are fast players and easy on the shoulders weight wise. they really are "shred sleds"

I love them, but not as much as the Paul's I have.

Neck Dive is common on these, the way to stop it is to make sure to use a brushed leather or suede strap. Those "seat belt" starts (Nylon material) just slips and slides all over the place.

Les Paul's will have a little more top end snap, I would have to think the carved maple top verses just a slab of Mahogony like on the SG has a lot to do with that.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-18-2024, 10:09 AM

Friedman....yes they sound great.....I have one the wildwood edition 20 watt head. It is like a little hot rod Marshall per say. Plenty loud too.

It is for sale....if interested!!!
Old 04-18-2024, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim View Post
Friedman....yes they sound great.....I have one the wildwood edition 20 watt head. It is like a little hot rod Marshall per say. Plenty loud too.

It is for sale....if interested!!!
Thanks Tim, it's probably going to be a few months and I'll be looking for a combo.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:19 AM

As far as the neck dive goes....yes when you let go of the neck some will do that....but a suede leather strap takes care of that.....and I always support the body with my picking arm.

They have the best fretboard real estate there is....very good access everywhere!!
Old 04-18-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I want a Les Paul. Just want to plug it straight into a Marshall amp and crank out ...
Who doesnt/hasnt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
There can be more similarity between a Les Paul and a Tele than some might imagine
Absolutely this. Not all teles, but some. And they dont need buckers to do it. Not to discourage the OP though. I still think if you want to scratch that LP itch by all means go forth!

Quote:
*For example: the 1st Led Zepplin LP is all Tele. Folks used to think of the later Zep on stage and heard a Les Paul on the record back in the day.
Indeed, and I think some or even most of the second record.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

There are some sounds that you can only get from a Les Paul. Everyone should have at least a few….

IMG_2883.jpg
Old 04-19-2024, 06:17 PM

I’d go used if I were you.

I’d try to find an ‘08-‘12 LP Standard.

These had the chambered bodies and the necks, and come in at about 7 1/2 lbs.

The can be found in great condition on Reverb for about $1900-$2200+/-.

Here’s a pic of my ‘08 LP Standard Plus.

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 04-19-2024, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
I’d go used if I were you.

I’d try to find an ‘08-‘12 LP Standard.

These had the chambered bodies and the necks, and come in at about 7 1/2 lbs.

The can be found in great condition on Reverb for about $1900-$2200+/-.

Here’s a pic of my ‘08 LP Standard Plus.
Sounds like good advice, thank you!
Old 04-20-2024, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
There are some sounds that you can only get from a Les Paul. Everyone should have at least a few….

Attachment 106914
Wow! Beautiful guitars! Holy Cow, what a collection! Good for you!!!

- Glenn
Old 04-21-2024, 06:15 AM

Les Pauls and Tele's are WAY far apart in so many ways.

I have both, and have built both as a Luthier.

As far as necks, the slimmer ones then to be better for lead work , my '79 Custom is great for that . I've had it since new . My '55 special has a baseball bat neck and the tone is killer, but it's not as nimble for the fast stuff. It does however RULE with a slide.

Pickup wise .. I'm a huge P90 fan, the PAF's have there own thing and do it well.

PRS? I have a dozen including a few Private Stocks. They are hands down better in every way . The necks are much more playable. My single cut has a Rosewood neck which is an option I wish every guitar had.

There are some very sweet single cuts out there , at reasonable prices. like this one ...$2700 ..
Old 04-21-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I want a Les Paul.
I completely resonate with this sentiment. I accept that it's irrational. A good one is hard to buy, and I already own better guitars. I've got a PRS SC that's just like the one pictured above. But, there's a stand over in the corner that keeps saying "put a Les Paul on me". If you're my age and you grew up with music when I grew up with music, there's a little spot in your soul that needs filling. I don't know how much longer I can resist.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:49 AM

Quote:
*For example: the 1st Led Zepplin LP is all Tele. Folks used to think of the later Zep on stage and heard a Les Paul on the record back in the day.
Yes probably true but I never heard anything on the early Zep recordings that weren't 100% tele-tone. Pretty distorted but still easily recognizable. It was really a great sound for the time. Lots and lots of “big room” sounds help make it unique.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars