The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2014, 08:22 AM

Default Gibson Hummingbird best years for vintage specimens?

I am the happy owner of a 1968 Hummingbird, that I find to sound much better than a new true vintage.

I find that people should think twice before replacing the adjustable saddle, as it appears to me the biggest difference is loudness.? Thus disturbing the excellent qualities of an original one as an accompagnateur for vocal. But I would love to hear other opinions on that topic as well.
Anyway, for some reason mine, which is kept original, apart from tuners and pick up, is the best sounding guitar I've come across for a singer songwriter.

Therefore it's sad that the the slim neck is getting to me a bit. For finger picking especially. I thought I could adjust, but it's harder than expected.

So dear members, anyone with knowledge of the best production years for the hummingbird? As it was introduced in 1960 it simply might be difficult to find a "prefect" one?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by NielsNiels; 09-22-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

i have limited experience but of the 2 i was lucky enough to inherit, I like the 62 better. The 66 is likely to get a bridge replacement while the 62 will keep its ceramic adjustable, it just sounds "right" the way it is

Some guitars
Old 09-22-2014, 08:44 AM

Thanks for replying T Texas! Does yours have wide necks? Or are they also very slim?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Accompagnateur? We don't use big words here.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 09-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

very slim. the neck feels the same on both of them. and both have low action, making them play more like an electric. just not so good for fingerstyle due to the narrow string spacing.

Some guitars
Old 09-22-2014, 08:51 AM

Haha.. Im Danish, so English is not first language. So it was actually the most direct translation I could think of. But you do get the picture right?

And thanks Texas!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:58 AM

Default Possible other models to consider?

T Texas, as you have '62, and that to my knowledge was before Gibson started slimming the necks overall, maybe there is a model that I haven't come across yet that could be something for me?
I prefer Gibson over Martin. And I do like the size of a Hummingbird bass wise.
The J45 and J50 sounds a bit less warm to me than a Hummingbird - at least the ones I've tried.

I currently own:
Gibson B25 '65
Gibson Hummingbird '68
Fylde Orsino 70's
Martin OM21 special '08
+ a bunch of not worthy mentioning.

thanks!

Last edited by NielsNiels; 09-22-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:30 AM

My J30 is a "no-bling" hummingbird. Its definitely the best sounding guitar I've owned. Maybe the best I've ever played. It has a 1 11/16 neck too unfortunately. It doesn't feel as narrow as the 60s gibsons tho.
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 09-22-2014, 09:39 AM

I love old Hummingbirds. Sonically the mid-to-late 60's have all managed to be my favorites over the years. I prefer larger necks, but the sound of a good 60's 'Bird makes me forgive any neck that happens to be on there. I don't like low frets though. Which leads to one thought, how are the frets on your 68? If they are very low, it can make the neck feel even smaller. A refret with something .046" or taller will make the neck seem thicker front-to-back. The better grip on the strings may help you get along with the neck size as well. And if I'm really splitting hairs, a proper refret can maximize the playing surface and steepen the bevel angle to accommodate slightly wider string spacing.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:50 AM

Thanks for some great posts guys!

Ramess, the J30 is one I will try to check out thanks

Frank, The frets on mine are in super condition as I've had the Wizzard here in Copenhagen (he's actually Swedish), it fix it for me. The frets aren't that high (action is great, not too low), but I would have a hard time presuading myself to refret it, because of fear of losing mojo that it has now in bunches. Also my problems are mainly on my right hand. But your words on sound are so reassuring, much appreciated!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:04 AM

Smile

I also have a '68 Hummingbird (blonde). I bought it in 1972, and it's the only guitar that I have ever managed to hang onto. Two years ago I had my luthier friend replace the rosewood saddle with a bone saddle. This corrected the intonation, which was off from the factory. He also removed the bolts that adjusted the string height, and I added bone pins. I noticed a big improvement in the sound.

Yes, the neck is slim. I used to like that, but today I prefer a more substantial neck. I have no intentions of ever selling this guitar.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:25 AM

1963 and 1964. Reason - although still a long way from the roundback D neck of the 1950s, the necks in these years were a bit beefier than what Gibson started using in 1960 while Gibson had yet to subject the guitars to the 1 9/16" nut, thick pickguards, and oversized bridge plates.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:14 PM

I have a 1965 Country Western which is basically a Hummingbird without the engraved pick guard bling. Recently I experimented with different adjustable saddle materials, trying the original rosewood saddle, a ceramic saddle, one of the Tusq saddles from Graphtech, and a bone and ebony insert that drops into the rout and makes contact with the top.
I was quite surprised to find just how much difference there was in tone and volume with the different saddles.
The rosewood saddle had the least volume and produced a much more mellow tone.
The ceramic saddle was noticeably louder with quite a different timbre, brighter tone and more "plinky" sounding.
The Tusq saddle was louder still with a better overall tone to my ears.
The bone/ebony insert was not as loud as the Tusq adjustable saddle but gave a very nice tone.
I decided to go with the Tusq saddle as I preferred it overall.
This Country Western is a loud guitar and is feather-light. I think that starting around 66 or 67 Gibson started building the CW, SJ, and Hummingbird models a bit on the heavier side, although there are some killer guitars from that period up until 1970 when things went south in a hurry.
This CW has the 1 11/16 nut width and a comparatively thicker neck profile, much thicker than my 1964 J-45 which has the pencil thin neck with 1 5/8 nut.
1967 Guild D-50 (Hoboken, NJ)
1975 Guild D-25 M (Westerly, RI)
2001 Tacoma DM9 (Tacoma, WA)
2003 Martin D-18GE (Nazareth, PA
)

"Oh, What a life a mess can be!" - Uncle Tupelo
Old 09-22-2014, 01:43 PM

Default Gibson Hummingbird best years for vintage specimens?

I would love to see some pics of these vintage Hummingbirds.

Glad to know so many exist here with our forum members.

The neck size/shape and the cash savings is what made me go with a recent TV model over a 60's true vintage .
Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
The neck size/shape and the cash savings is what made me go with a recent TV model over a 60's true vintage .
The neck profile is what would make me go with a Bozeman guitar rather than an original was well.

But you also will not get the same sound as originals as the 1960s HBs had non-scallop top bracing while all of the Bozeman versions have their standard scalloped bracing.

Last edited by zombywoof; 09-22-2014 at 02:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion