The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Whats wrong with Corona Guilds?

Hi, first-time poster here! Well, i did a search for people's opinions on Corona-built Guilds and i came away with the impression that if you must buy a Guild, Pre-Fender Westerley Guilds are the way to go...But, I've had my eye on a beatiful Corona, Ca. Guild D25M on craigslist thats just the right price for me (I know, its very risky to buy from there but i'm short on funds but would really to pick up a new guitar). My question is, other than the people at the Tacoma plant being alot more friendlier (thus leading to the inference that they are more proud of their work and are more professional in business manner), what makes a Tacoma Guild better than a Corona one? Also, does anybody know what precipated the move from Corona to Tacoma (Shoddy worksmanship, I hope not =[) in the first place? The guitar i'm looking at is a flattop D25M solid mahogany/back/sides/neck bone nut and saddle and, although not especially eye-catching, i like its plain aesthetic appeal. I have only been playing guitar for a couple of years and would like some of the more seasoned vets opinions on this..Is Corona really all that bad? By the way my old guitar was an Epi cheapie so im sure this'll sound atleast better than that =). What do you guys think?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:58 PM

There is nothing wrong with the Corona built Guilds. I have owned all three types of Guilds, those made in Westerly, Corona and Tacoma. They were, and are, three outstanding guitars that are well built. If the price is right, I wouldn't be worried buying a Corona built Guild.

I believe the move to Tacoma was because they had a place more suited for the construction of acoustic guitars.

I hope this helps, and welcome to the AGF!1
Old 03-12-2006, 11:44 PM

As somebody with not a lot of expertise, I can only pass along what I've heard.

Apparently the best Coronas are as good as any other Guild. It's just that they got inconsistent at the end and dumped a lot of seconds on the market.

IMHO, guitar buyers almost always say the new stuff of any brand isn't as good as the old stuff. When Guild moved to RI, some said at the time that RI Guilds weren't as good as New Jersey Guilds, but I don't think anybody says that now.

So I have a hunch that a good Corona is one of the best buys out there and that they will catch on belatedly as DeArmonds have. However, I don't know about buying one that has the back of the headstock marked to indicate it's a second etc. Those may be good, but I think for resale that they will be stigmatized at least for a while. Also, I think a D25 is one of the best buys out there. More box for the bucks.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input guys and thanks also for the welcome =). Yeah, i think maybe alot of people are kind of pessimistic towards the Coronas because their sound hasnt yet realized its full potential. It would be kind of hard comparing a fairly new Guild to one thats been around for a couple decades and been able to "open up" and get properly broken in. Anyways, i think/hope the Corona and Tacoma Guilds continue to develop and maybe in a couple decades or so people will be talking about them as the classics.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:52 AM

All I can add to this good advice is to check out a guitar carefully. I have a Corona Guild D-40 and it is a sweet guitar. I think there was a guitar hanging next to mine in the shop that had some bridge lift. I don't know if it was the shop's fault or not. I've learned to check the bridge and neck on every guitar despite the name on the headstock.
For a while, the Guilds were being built in the Fender custom shop. I tend to like the Rhode Island Guilds and the Coronas. I hear that Tacoma has been kicking out some high quality stuff.
And, if you don't mind the imports, some of the GAD guitars have a lot of bang for the buck.
Bottom line is that nothing sounds like a Guild. If it's the right one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion