The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2009, 09:38 AM

Default How Does One Know What Wood Is Good For Guitars or Not ?

Mostly guitars are made of mahogany/rosewood/maple/ceder/sitka/etc...how can one know if a wood is good for building a guitar or not ?...lets say i have a uncommon wood that usually is not used to make guitars..how can i know if its good for making a guitar or not ?, another thing that i thought about is...any solid type of wood would be at least more "musical" then a piece of lets say plywood or laminated wood no?, at least its logical to me...maybe I'm wrong of course , that's why I'm asking you who actually know something about it :P,

Thanks,
Jesse.
Crown K-1 (1975)
Admira Sevilla (1990)
Deering Banjo Goodtime II (2008)
Fender Startocaster 60th Anniversery
Vox AC-15

My Youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/JesseMathews

My Space page: http://www.myspace.com/jessemathews1983
Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM

The only way to know for sure is to give it a try.

Jim
Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 AM

Wood is simply a source of raw potential, not a guarantee of spectacular results in and of itself.

Some builders prefer to make guitars from certain woods because they feel they can tap into that potential to produce a guitar that will sound and respond like they want it to.

Some woods don't work from a builder's point of view because they:

1.crack easily
2.don't glue together well
3.cause allergies
4. won't be as easy to sell to a customer as an instrument made from more "accepted" woods
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:20 AM

Some woods are more musical than others, it's not always obvious (the taptones of most maple, or Honduran mahogany for example, are less than spectacular).
Weight-to-strength ratio is primordial for top woods, in that respect it's hard to beat the spruces, especially for longitudinal strength.
Stability in service is a very important factor, for example it's not by chance than Honduran mahogany is used for necks, blocks, linings, back & sides and so on. Also I am pretty sure that when factories switched to Indian rosewood it cut a lot of labour and waste, as it is one of the most stable tonewoods, and definitely more stable than Braz in general.
Availability needs to be constant, designs depend in part on what woods are used.
Quartersawn is usually the preferred cut, so trees have to grow large enough in order to produce big enough sets.
Appearance is another factor.
And finally tradition plays a big role: whatever was used to build steel strings before WWII will remain forever the woods of choice. As an example, a lot of "alternative" tonewoods are looked as "substitutes" for Braz, tonally and visually, instead of being considered for their own properties.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

I would say balsa is a poor choice.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 12-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Brondel View Post
Some woods are more musical than others, it's not always obvious (the taptones of most maple, or Honduran mahogany for example, are less than spectacular).
Weight-to-strength ratio is primordial for top woods, in that respect it's hard to beat the spruces, especially for longitudinal strength.
Stability in service is a very important factor, for example it's not by chance than Honduran mahogany is used for necks, blocks, linings, back & sides and so on. Also I am pretty sure that when factories switched to Indian rosewood it cut a lot of labour and waste, as it is one of the most stable tonewoods, and definitely more stable than Braz in general.
Availability needs to be constant, designs depend in part on what woods are used.
Quartersawn is usually the preferred cut, so trees have to grow large enough in order to produce big enough sets.
Appearance is another factor.
And finally tradition plays a big role: whatever was used to build steel strings before WWII will remain forever the woods of choice. As an example, a lot of "alternative" tonewoods are looked as "substitutes" for Braz, tonally and visually, instead of being considered for their own properties.
This is the value of this forum. A great summation by a talented luthier.
LC
Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 AM

Start with the standard woods. You'll get a feel for it.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Designing a durable instrument is probably a matter of choosing well-quartered and well-seasoned woods. Most people would probably get that pretty well by sticking with the standard guitar materials.
Designing an instrument that's musical is a whole different issue; there are hundreds of variables, and only through experience does someone learn the "art" behind it. I'm guessing that most people's first builds turn out better than expected, but are still much worse than instruments made by experienced luthiers- regardless of the wood that's chosen.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique

Last edited by Aaron Smith; 12-04-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:10 PM

Balsa probably is a poor choice for the guitar, because it has relatively high damping. But it also has a very high stiffness/weight ratio, and is generating some excitement as a potential material for violins.
“We had to admit that [the balsa violin] could do things that our own [violins] could not—things that the old Italians couldn’t do either.”
http://www.stringsmagazine.com/artic...ws&Notes-1.asp

Violins have continuous energy input, so the higher damping is ok for them, whereas it's more a problem for guitars. Still, I'd like to hear a balsa (or part balsa) guitar to see what it might offer. Of course, the top would have to be much thicker to be strong enough (but it would still be lighter weight at the same strength).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion