The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-24-2008, 03:17 PM

Default Gator case SUCKS.....

Just received and I am NOT impressed... **** case does not seal properly with a nice 3mm gap on the bottom. I can only imagine how much cold and rain will be whistling in.... RETURN!

I guess I gotta go back to old school shopping. This online shopping thing is a gamble.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:37 PM

Good luck in person shopping for a good quality case to fit anything other than a drednaught. I have a good-sized classical guitar (14-5/8" lower bout, 11-3/8" upper) that I'd like to get a sturdy case for and there's nothing locally to choose from. I suspect a medium classical Hiscox will just barely and am almost certain that a TKL 9100 will be a perfect fit but no way to confirm either of those in person within a couple hundred miles of here.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-24-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaFG730S View Post
Just received and I am NOT impressed... **** case does not seal properly with a nice 3mm gap on the bottom. I can only imagine how much cold and rain will be whistling in.... RETURN!

I guess I gotta go back to old school shopping. This online shopping thing is a gamble.
I don't think the problem is that you shopped online, but that you're expectations may have been unrealistic. Expecting quality from a $90 case might be expecting too much. You've just learned a lesson that I've learned many times: when you buy cheap, you get cheap, and usually wind up buying twice. I've given up on that. Now, I buy quality the first time. I've never looked back on the purchase of a quality item and regretted having spent the money; however, I've often looked back on the purchase of a cheap item and regretted it.

Good luck with the next case!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
I don't think the problem is that you shopped online, but that you're expectations may have been unrealistic. Expecting quality from a $90 case might be expecting too much. You've just learned a lesson that I've learned many times: when you buy cheap, you get cheap, and usually wind up buying twice. I've given up on that. Now, I buy quality the first time. I've never looked back on the purchase of a quality item and regretted having spent the money; however, I've often looked back on the purchase of a cheap item and regretted it.

Gotta agree here. I'm in Austin and we have a great selection of music stores here at which to shop. I HAVE, however, bought one case online and that was for my Sakurai/Kohno. I bought a tweed Ameritage case. Not cheap, but perfect for my particular needs as I don't intend to fly with that guitar ever. I'll be getting a cover for the case, but the guitar fits perfectly and the case is tight. Most of my other cases are TKLs and SKBs which are both good. I've either bought them locally or they came with guitars that I bought pre-owned.

Likewise, good luck with the next case.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:46 PM

I've seen some Gator cases and found them somewhat lacking compared to Cedar Creeks or Caltons.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:58 PM

They do stink - but their cheap .For a few dollars more you can pick up a decent TKL case - not sure if id go as far as Calton or Ceder creek -unless your a pro traveling musician and your flying with your guitar - for the average joe their a tad of a frill -
Old 12-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:

You may wanna raise your expectations a bit there... for $90 I don't wanna be able to see my guitar when the case is "closed."

Last edited by YamahaFG730S; 12-24-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhealer View Post
I HAVE, however, bought one case online and that was for my Sakurai/Kohno. I bought a tweed Ameritage case. Not cheap, but perfect for my particular needs as I don't intend to fly with that guitar ever. I'll be getting a cover for the case, but the guitar fits perfectly and the case is tight.
Did you custom-order the Ameritage case or did one of their spec-built ones fit? They don't give a lot of detail on their off-the-shelf case dimension but they do list several exact dimensions for "B-stock" and "Overstock" ones, none of which current appear to be a good fit for my M. Sakurai. But the Ameritage cases I've seen are very nice.

It looks like for my guitar a mid-grade Hiscox might be the best fit but the price is considerable and the upper bout fit will be a close call. The pricing on Ameritage cases is an echelon above the Hiscox while also being heavier so it still looks like the Hiscox is the better deal but of course a "B-stock" or whatever is a whole 'nother matter...
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
You may wanna raise your expectations a bit there... for $90 I don't wanna be able to see my guitar when the case is "closed."
...and I don't wanna see any of my guitars in a $90 case because I know I'm not going to get the protection I want from a cheap case.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
...and I don't wanna see any of my guitars in a $90 case because I know I'm not going to get the protection I want from a cheap case.
Yeah, I hear you... I don't wanna pay more than $300 for a guitar cause I know it won't make enough of a difference.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I hear you... I don't wanna pay more than $300 for a guitar cause I know it won't make enough of a difference.
How valuable is the guitar you're putting in this new case?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:10 PM

It's not valuable at all. Paid under two hundred. Hence, I just needed a decent case that wouldn't let the rain in. I kid you not, there is a 4mm gap at the lower bout. I can see actually see Mahogany when the latches are engaged.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
It's not valuable at all. Paid under two hundred. Hence, I just needed a decent case that wouldn't let the rain in. I kid you not, there is a 4mm gap at the lower bout. I can see actually see Mahogany when the latches are engaged.
Your guitar is a dreadnaught, isn't it? If so, it's probably not the last dreadnaught you'll own. You could buy a better case with the idea in mind that you'll use it down the road on a different dread.

Years ago, I owned a Takamine 12-string that came in a plastic-molded case that happened to be a lot nicer than the cheap case that my Martin D-16 was living in. At some point, I gave the 12-string away to someone but before I did, I swapped the cases and still use it for my D-16.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:31 PM

I may just throw in a few more bucks and get a decent case... I suspect you are right. I know it's just a matter of time until I upgrade on a nice all solid dread.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 PM

I don't buy on-line products. Here in Columbus, Ohio we've got several local mom & pop dealers. I bought a decent hard shell case for my old dread for $69 from one of these local dealers.........it says "Strongbox" on the side of it......has four latches, one that locks, and suits me just fine........I don't think it would last like a Calton case, but at the price I paid for it, I'm thrilled with it. It's a perfect fit for my old late 70's vintage Fender F-65 acoustic. Nice tight fit.....well padded....nice big storage compartment.....does all I want it to do. Sure beats the old chipboard case I've been using for the last 27 years. I drag it to a bluegrass jam every week and, to me, it looks as good, quaility-wise, as the cases that Martin provides with their D-28's. I don't even know how much a Calton case would cost........but, I'm sure it would've cost a LOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT MORE!! I can't see spending more for a case than the guitar is worth!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion