The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 AM

Default Santa Cruz and Collings

I am in the market into buying a Santa Cruz or Collings guitar.

I am looking for a small/mid bodied guitar with a dreadnought sound to it.

Versatile in both strumming and fingerpicking.

For all of you that own a Santa Cruz/Collings or have played many of them before, what do you recommend?

I've only played a dreadnought Santa Cruz but haven't tried any of their other models because of lack of inventory in my area. Thanks a lot.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 AM

I've played both and you really cannot go wrong with either. I spent sometime with some collings guitars this past weekend they were all great guitars, my favourite was their OM2H model. They do offer a deep body version of their OM's which I think might be what your looking for
Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
I am in the market into buying a Santa Cruz or Collings guitar.

I am looking for a small/mid bodied guitar with a dreadnought sound to it.

Versatile in both strumming and fingerpicking.
To my ears, these have quite different tone and personality. The Collings dreads I've tested are built more heavily, and have a bright, piano-like tone. The few SC models I've had the opportunity to test tend to have a sweeter, woodier tone, and are about as lightly built as they come.

The SC prewar OM is a great guitar for the price. I'm pretty fond of my SC Vintage Southerner, which is kind of a J-45-inspired short-scale, slope-shouldered dread that feels like you're playing an OM, but has a great bass thump.

Enjoy your search. You can't go wrong.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I am looking for a small/mid bodied guitar with a dreadnought sound to it.
...Versatile in both strumming and fingerpicking.
Hi e…
So you are really looking for a magic one-size-fits-all high end guitar?

I've played quite a few Olson SJs and own an 18 yr old Olson Dread, and they really sound and play quite similarly. Do either Collings or SantaCruz build an SJ?

Many SJ models have a lower bout the size of a Dread with similar depth to the body and smaller upper bout.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 AM

SCSG OM/PW owner here. I can't speak for Collings, but my SC is the best acoustic I've ever owned. It has "mojo"...no other way to describe it. I feel like Robert Johnson or Big Bill Broonzy when I pick it up I don't sound like them mind you It's an extremely light build, which I like...and the fit and finish are perfect. I love the OM shape personally.
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 07-28-2011, 10:47 AM

My sister has a SC OM/PW. Easily among the best guitars I've ever touched. I think of Collings having a different tone...more separate, fundamental and strident than the SC. I like "warmer" myself. Your ears may differ.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I've played both and I prefer Santa Cruz 100%. I like the voicing better. I recently compared a Santa Cruz D/PW to a Collings D2H and the Santa Cruz sounded head and shoulders above and better than the Collings to my ears.

On the same trip I also compared the the Tony Rice SCGC and a CW Collings which are similar guitars both in price and disign and once again the SCGC Sounded much better to me.

As far as what you are looking for a custom deep body 000 12 Fret Santa Cruz might be the ticket or an OM/PW.

Good luck with your search you can't go wrong with either brand but I do believe Santa Cruz guitars sound better. They don't seem to hold their value quite as well.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 07-28-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi e…

I've played quite a few Olson SJs and own an 18 yr old Olson Dread, and they really sound and play quite similarly. Do either Collings or SantaCruz build an SJ?

Many SJ models have a lower bout the size of a Dread with similar depth to the body and smaller upper bout.

Collings does have SJ model, which is very popular. SCGC's "FS" model is similar in size and profile.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi e…

I know I am asking for a lot, but I do favor more strumming than fingerpicking if that makes it easier. I just don't want a bulky dreadnought or a smaller body guitar that doesn't have any "boom" to it
Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I know I am asking for a lot, but I do favor more strumming than fingerpicking if that makes it easier. I just don't want a bulky dreadnought or a smaller body guitar that doesn't have any "boom" to it
I don't think you're asking too much. Your criteria is EXACTLY what OM is for. Smaller body and good at both strumming and picking.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi e…
Then you might want to start trying out some Grand Concert (mini-jumbo, small jumbo) medium sized body instruments.

Martin dreads tend to be boomy to people who don't want 'boom', and Taylor dreads don't have enough 'boom' for those who are after that big bottom end.

Those are generalizations, but often mentioned in the forum. If it were me, I'd just be playing everything I can get my hands on regardless of size and see what speaks my musical language. I've liked both SantaCruz and Collings guitars over the past decade and a half.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Just last week I had the chance to play both the Collings and the SC. It was each company's version of the J-45. In short they were both very nice instruments. The Collings got the nod for overall volume, finish, and quality of tone but it was $1,000 more than the SC. However, as stated before, the Collings was more articulate with each string ringing clearly and distinctly. I found it to be too articulate for my ears and while it is a bit of a stretch I would compare the Collings with a harpischord and the SC with a piano. The SC was very even, sweet-sounding, and a joy to sing with. I prefered the SC as a vocalist since I find it to be more intimate sounding, like a good story told on the knee of your grandfather. You excitedly anticipate ever word and delight in the pauses while anticipating the twists and turns. In the end I did not buy either since I already have a J45 and while both guitar were very good they weren't several thousand dollars better than what I already have. I do believe that every word I have typed here is meaningless until you get one of these under your fingers. Words are meaningless in comparison to the actual experience. I would even suggest you do not buy one until you have a chance to actually play each. Both companies have a very distinct sound.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:36 PM

Collings and Santa Cruz are two of my favorite makers and I've owned several guitars from each company. They each make great guitars and I'd be hard-pressed to choose a favorite. Collings is maybe more more consistent, and they're definitely better at fit and finish, but even so I'd choose a great SC over a "merely" good Collings and vice versa.

As for particular recommendations, I suggest you investigate (as others have already suggested) the Santa Cruz OM/PW and the Collings OM2H. Both are "small" guitars with a huge sound.

Also keep your eyes out for a Collings OM Deep Body. OM shape with dreadnought depth. It might be exactly what you're looking for: OM comfort and clarity with dreadnought-like bass.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Thanks all for your recommendations
Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Hi Emirate,

I own a Santa Cruz OM/PW and for a standard depth OM guitar, it has good bass, pretty close to my Martin D-35, but not quite. I think this is a terrific sounding guitar, particularly with 80/20 bronze strings on it to give the trebles a little more zing.

I also own a Collings OM1ADD, adi over mahogany with dread-depth. This guitar sounds great but does not have the bass of the Santa Cruz OM/PW.

Finally, I own a Martin 000-28VS, which is a 12-fret design with an elongated body. It sounds more like a dread than any other OM/000 guitar I have ever played. However, it has a 1 13/16" nut width and a mod-V neck, so it is a little harder to play.

Regards, Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion