The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Need Help figuring out if I need another Guitar

Sad as it may seem, I'm guitar "rich" compared to most, but always on the lookout for something better. My interests now are going for something near the top end, something that will cost me $$$$ but hopefully will be worth it in the long run. My instruments have decent setups, but nothing that great. My oldest Collings really needs a setup to get the action improved, but I muddle thru it in low C type open tunings that make it easier to play.

Just thought I'd throw out this to others for thoughts or opinions from those also contemplating another guitar. My only throw aways (for cash) these days are my dwindling electric guitars (now only 3 left) that do not see any playing time anymore.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 03-19-2016, 02:11 PM

You need another guitar...

Send me your unused electrics...
Old 03-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
My instruments have decent setups, but nothing that great. My oldest Collings really needs a setup to get the action improved, but I muddle thru it in low C type open tunings that make it easier to play.
Sounds like you're neglecting what you have. And if you did that because you never felt like you played them well enough, then the problem more likely lies in the player than in the guitar.

Your post begs the question: What is a new guitar going to give you that your old guitars do not?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-19-2016, 02:43 PM

Kenny, I have to say I don't quite grasp what you're asking. You own three Beneteaus and four Collings guitars, but are you asking whether you need another guitar or are you asking what guitar should you look for?

Speaking as someone who also owns a lot of nice guitars, believe me, there'll always be still another guitar that will surface and catch your interest. If I was in your position right now I'd be stashing away some discretionary cash just so if and when your next new infatuation shows up you'll have the money in hand so you can pounce on it right then and there, instead of having to scrabble around and sell off some of your electrics and hope you don't miss your opportunity.

Just a thought....

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-19-2016, 02:47 PM

Give me your current collection and start again from scratch.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-19-2016, 02:48 PM

You came to the wrong place to ask that question, lol
Old 03-19-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Sounds like you're neglecting what you have. And if you did that because you never felt like you played them well enough, then the problem more likely lies in the player than in the guitar.

Your post begs the question: What is a new guitar going to give you that your old guitars do not?
+100 on the above...

All of the guitars in your signature are superb, top of the line, and totally professional grade instruments.

What is "worser" about the sum total of all those guitars...that you feel you need to find "better"?

Will you feel "better" about your instrument if you pay more? If so...then sell off a bunch of your current fine guitars, and buy that Somogyi jumbo in the AGF Classified section. You have then climbed the highest mountain...so to speak...not much of anywhere else to go after that...

It's a dangerous quest you are on...often creating far more questions, then any answers that you could hope to find...

best of luck

duff

Last edited by mcduffnw; 03-19-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 03-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Sad as it may seem, I'm guitar "rich" compared to most, but always on the lookout for something better. My interests now are going for something near the top end, something that will cost me $$$$ but hopefully will be worth it in the long run. My instruments have decent setups, but nothing that great. My oldest Collings really needs a setup to get the action improved, but I muddle thru it in low C type open tunings that make it easier to play.

Just thought I'd throw out this to others for thoughts or opinions from those also contemplating another guitar. My only throw aways (for cash) these days are my dwindling electric guitars (now only 3 left) that do not see any playing time anymore.
You have a wonderful collection, with a tilt towards fingerstyle/new agey guitars. Mine is a bit different, still strongly fingerstyle but with both Martinesque and new agey members.

It has taken me quite some time to learn to 'Love the one I'm with', and I'm glad I did. I spend less time thinking and plotting to add/replace instruments, and more time and enjoyment playing them.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Well, if you're going to spend some money.......

If I ever hit the lottery, one of the first ones I'd buy..

Ryan Nightingale.

Here's a fellow member playing one from Show and Tell:

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-19-2016, 04:29 PM

[
Quote:
B]Sounds like you're neglecting what you have.[/B]
+ 1 agree

but, if you can afford it, go for it...

remember - you can't take it with you....

Go UCONN...
Old 03-19-2016, 04:39 PM

The answer is always: yes, of course you need another guitar.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:02 PM

I would think the first step would be to set up the guitars you already have. Once that is done you might actually sell off a few because you might find what you are looking for.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:05 PM

Lol. I'm certainly not going to pander here. Wink!
Setup the chit you have and play baby!
Old 03-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

The obvious answer is to start taking your favorite guitars to the best guitar tech you can find and get them in top form. Just restringing guitars makes a world of difference, just imagine what a fine tune up will produce. Seems like you don't have budget restrictions, and perhaps you just like buying new guitars - nothing wrong with that. But the practical way forward is working with the fine guitars you already own.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:43 PM

If only you could purchase contentment. Alas it is free. But it has a cost. Now snatch this pebble out of my hand!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion