The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2016, 06:48 AM

Default New strings equal new guitar

Due to extreme laziness while owning three fine acoustics, three wonderful electrics, a Gibson F9, ukeleles and a lap steel while playing in two bands, my Brondel(A2 of Wenge and Carpathian, Laurent's first use of Wenge) was languishing, sounding tired and dull.

I bit the bullet and finally put on a set of custom light D'Addario strings.

The magic returned!

Great sustain and crystalline clarity coupled with reverb and church bell beauty
made life worth living and playing rewarding after many months of sad decline.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:37 AM

New strings mean a lot.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:09 AM

I think sometimes the sound degrades so slowly over time, you don't really notice it that much until you put on new strings, and then pow, it hits you.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I've trained myself that every time I think a guitar I have doesn't sound so good, I change strings. Works every time.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-19-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
I think sometimes the sound degrades so slowly over time, you don't really notice it that much until you put on new strings, and then pow, it hits you.

True.
That's the thing about all the string comparison threads,,,,
The NEW ones, any brand of new ones, are nearly always gonna sound better than the ones you just took off.
If the new ones happen to be a different brand from the old clapped out ones it's easy to tell yourself you have just found your perfect strings !
Old 03-19-2016, 11:38 AM

My strings last about 20 hours of play. No more, no less. I use Martin SP Ph/Bronze. Both lights on my two OM's, and mediums on my dread.

I always wash hands prior to touching guitar. I think metal fatigue must be why they "turn" on me!

I figure it's simply part of the cost of the hobby! -Skip your "McBurger" meal and spend the money on a set of fresh strings a few times a month Tubby!

Kittoon
Old 03-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Default weird, but is what it is ...

Don't know that I'm unusual in this regard ... I am in a number of other ways, but I generally enjoy the "chop wood - carry water" character of changing strings. There's a focusing, relaxing element to it that pleases me. And the guitars sure as hell sound better for it! Instant rewards.

Even after all these years seemingly unavoidable revelations keep occurring. In my era the commonly held wisdom was that medium strings were preferable to light on acoustic or electrics. Not so as it turns out. Out of touch with electrics for several years now, but it is definitely a guitar by guitar thing with acoustics. Some like mediums, some sound much more dynamic with lights. My luthier friend of many years says that in his world the underlying theory and demonstrated principle is that for some tops the heavier strings actually hinder the top's movement; kind of locking it down to a degree, so that lighter strings free things up a bit. Not a luthier myself, but this guy has been an active GAL member and fret guru for 35+ years with thousands of miles on his bench, and thousands of hours as a blues man on stage. I have to take his word for it, and personal experience has born it out with my own guitars.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:52 PM

@Tired Fingers, (above) . What you describe is not a myth or an old wives' tale.

It is definitely true that too heavy a gauge can make some guitars sound worse, this is often referred to as "choking".
Old 03-19-2016, 03:07 PM

Great replies from everyone, I've read them all.
I have a rosewood-alpine spruce jumbo that didn't sound right with 12-53 PB's but completely changed with slightly lighter 11-52 PB's. Better balanced with plenty of volume.

I also enjoy the 'self-discipline' of changing strings as neatly as possible, an electric string winder makes a HUGE difference.

So yes, a string change can be like having a new guitar.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion