The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 06:51 PM

Default Recomendation for an inexpensive acoustic/electric

I have just joined the praise and worship team at my church and I have been using my beloved Larrivee. I realized however that I am putting my guitar at risk. First of all, I am not going to leave it at church because I will have severe separation anxiety. In the summer months I cannot leave it in the car when we go to lunch after church because it will get destroyed. So, I am going to ask the church to purchase an acoustic/electric for me to play. We are not a mega church with unlimited funds so I need to keep it under $500 and preferably under $300.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 03-18-2016, 07:11 PM

Default Here's a Yamaha dread...

Adorama offers the Yamaha Solid Top Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar, model no. FGX700SC, for $299.99. Coupon code "1MARCHSVNG" cuts it to $214.99. With free shipping, that's tied with our mention from three weeks ago and the lowest total price we could find by $85. It features a hi-gloss natural finish, 3-band equalizer, and Piezo pickup

I just tried the coupon code and it still works. You can't enter it until you check out...
Old 03-18-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Adorama offers the Yamaha Solid Top Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar, model no. FGX700SC, for $299.99. Coupon code "1MARCHSVNG" cuts it to $214.99. With free shipping, that's tied with our mention from three weeks ago and the lowest total price we could find by $85. It features a hi-gloss natural finish, 3-band equalizer, and Piezo pickup

I just tried the coupon code and it still works. You can't enter it until you check out...
Good suggestion.

Kate Wolf

Martin 000-10e
Old 03-18-2016, 08:30 PM

Used Yamaha LS 16 ARE (2014-2015)
Old 03-18-2016, 08:46 PM

Last edited by Tico; 04-22-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:40 PM

IMHO, the church shouldn't be responsible for buying you a guitar.

Now if you suggested the church buy a guitar for more people than just you to use during services, I can understand.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dut4907 View Post
IMHO, the church shouldn't be responsible for buying you a guitar.

Now if you suggested the church buy a guitar for more people than just you to use during services, I can understand.
The church would be buying a guitar for me to play. There is no one else there who knows how to play a guitar at the moment.

Kate Wolf

Martin 000-10e
Old 03-19-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
I have just joined the praise and worship team at my church and I have been using my beloved Larrivee. I realized however that I am putting my guitar at risk. First of all, I am not going to leave it at church because I will have severe separation anxiety. In the summer months I cannot leave it in the car when we go to lunch after church because it will get destroyed. So, I am going to ask the church to purchase an acoustic/electric for me to play. We are not a mega church with unlimited funds so I need to keep it under $500 and preferably under $300.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Or you could take your guitar in with you when you go to lunch. That's what I do if I have an instrument with me. Just ask my kids....who have to put up with me dragging a guitar, bass, or violin into restaurants or stores. It's just part of being a musician. I would never ask or expect my church to purchase a guitar for me to play.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 03-19-2016, 02:36 AM

Buy a used soundhole pickup for your Seagull.
No need to drill the endpin.
Resolved.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:05 AM

They offered to buy, just like they offered to buy a seat for me to use while I am playing. I did not ask for it.

I am not thinking about me. I have no desire to own another guitar. I am happy with the two that I have. I do not have GAS and will never have GAS. As long as the guitars I have are functioning, that is all I need. I do know that if something happened to my guitar, the church would feel obligated to replace my ruined guitar if that should happen, and I would not want that.

I guess I worded my original post wrong. But just like the seat, they told me to pick one out that I like, with no restriction on price or cost. I chose to ask them to buy the cheapest one that fit my needs. It is a similar situation with the guitar. Pick one out and we will get it. I am asking for the least expensive one that will work well and sound good.

Kate Wolf

Martin 000-10e

Last edited by Glennwillow; 03-19-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: removed quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:38 AM

I didn't give the entire back story because I didn't think it would be necessary. I didn't because of brevity. So here is all of it. When I agreed to be part of the praise and worship team I asked if the church had a guitar. They said no, but that they could purchase one and probably should so that they would have one. I told them that I could bring my own once I got a pickup for it and installed it. I didn't think it all through when I volunteered to use my own guitar. Since that offer still stands, I thought that I would ask them to buy an inexpensive guitar so they would have one and so that I wouldn't have to carry my guitar back and forth.

Yes, it is my beloved because it is the only friend I have. I have Aspergers so that means I have trouble expressing myself verbally, I am awkward in social situations and I try to not interact with people in person. That is why I like forums because I don't have to physically be with people. I don't get a lot of social concepts because of my Aspergers and as such I hurt peoples feelings because I don't get the importance of birthdays, funerals, visiting someone sick in the hospital and so on. Birthdays happen every year so what is the big deal, it is no surprize that you are going to die and if you are in the hospital you will either get better or not and my being there will not change that, it just means that I will have to talk to you.

People with Aspergers are very detail oriented and normally I would really want to give the entire back story on any situation that I have a question about, but I know that would mean that most of my posts will go on and on for 1000 words or more, so I force myself to be brief. I guess I am too brief sometimes.

Kate Wolf

Martin 000-10e

Last edited by Glennwillow; 03-19-2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: deleted quote and adjusted response
Old 03-19-2016, 11:55 AM

I have no issue whatsoever with your church offering to purchase a guitar for your use during the services. Would a church require a music leader to provide the PA or the the pianist or organist to purchase and use their own piano or organ for the services? Secondly, I'm glad you are finding a way to use music as a gift to your fellow worshipers. They clearly appreciate what you do since there is an offer to provide equipment for your use.

As to the particulars of what you should purchase, in the budget range you mention, there should be a number of good options that will meet the need. I would shop around for a guitar that you find comfortable to play and has built in electronics and a decent plugged in sound.

In addition to the various suggestions offered, if you have local pawn shops, check there. I scored an amazing Larrivee D-03R for small money.

Enjoy the search.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:57 PM

At our church we used to have a Takamine dread that sat out on stage on a stand 24/7. Needless to say it developed cracks from the heating and air conditioning drying out the air. Whatever you get try to keep it in its case instead of out on a stand all the time...

A laminate acoustic/electric guitar might prove to be more durable in your situation. Our church replaced the Takamine with a Rainsong carbon fiber guitar.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
They offered to buy, just like they offered to buy a seat for me to use while I am playing. I did not ask for it.

I am not thinking about me. I have no desire to own another guitar. I am happy with the two that I have. I do not have GAS and will never have GAS. As long as the guitars I have are functioning, that is all I need. I do know that if something happened to my guitar, the church would feel obligated to replace my ruined guitar if that should happen, and I would not want that.

I guess I worded my original post wrong. But just like the seat, they told me to pick one out that I like, with no restriction on price or cost. I chose to ask them to buy the cheapest one that fit my needs. It is a similar situation with the guitar. Pick one out and we will get it. I am asking for the least expensive one that will work well and sound good.
No your post was worded just fine. Good luck..this is a good thread for anyone on a budget.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:14 PM

Muffinhead -
In the lower cost $300 range .... I am really digging the Alvarez Artist line for the money.... Solid Spruce top and Laminate back/sides. Check out the AF60ce and AF70ce or the AD60ce. The AD is the Dread with electronics and cutaway and the AF is slightly smaller Folk size (000/OM) with elec and cutaway.

The Artist 60 series is Spruce top and Mahogany B/S and the 70 series is Spruce/Rosewood.

They can be found on-sale for around $250-300 at GC on-line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion