The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 03:05 PM

Default What guitar should I get next??

Hey all! This is my first time posting here but I have been a member of this forum just looking at everything. I tried searching this but nothing could come up. Firstly I have a Taylor 214ce DLX . I'm looking at getting another guitar right now but I'm mixed up on what I should get next. I had my eyes set on getting the Taylor GS mini since I am in the military and it would be nice so I could travel with it when ever I deploy. But I have some friends that are telling me I should get into playing electric guitar I.e. Fender strat, les Paul. What would your suggestions be? Is it good to have both an electric and an acoustic?
Old 03-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't get into electric if you want something to travel with. Considering you could be anywhere in the world, I'd look at carbon fiber travel guitars. No issues with heat or humidity. They aren't cheap, but would be worth it for you.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-18-2016, 03:39 PM

I have played a few when I went by guitar center earlier today. Just didn't fully like a carbon fiber ones as I did when I played the Taylor gs mini. And as for electric I think my friends just want me to get one so I can jam along with them. Which I use to play electric when I was way younger maybe 10 years ago.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkster3876 View Post
Hey all! This is my first time posting here but I have been a member of this forum just looking at everything. I tried searching this but nothing could come up. Firstly I have a Taylor 214ce DLX . I'm looking at getting another guitar right now but I'm mixed up on what I should get next. I had my eyes set on getting the Taylor GS mini since I am in the military and it would be nice so I could travel with it when ever I deploy. But I have some friends that are telling me I should get into playing electric guitar I.e. Fender strat, les Paul. What would your suggestions be? Is it good to have both an electric and an acoustic?
If you are going to deploy or go on any temporary duty I suggest you get something that can handle the rigors of travel. An acoustic guitar is a better travel guitar because you don't have to have all the tools that is required. Cables, amps, and all that jazz.

But if you want to go electric I would turn the 214 into my travel guitar because it's lam B/S and can handle abuse better than an all solid wood will. In most cases you will have room to pack a guitar in a shipping container and don't have to worry about private airline flight so much, just make sure you have a really good strong case for it. The 214 will be no harder to pack/ship than it would be an actual travel size guitar in your situation.

I sent my nephew a Yamaha FG335 to Iraq thinking if he couldn't ship it back he could just leave it for the next group of guys. But he said the heck with that. he brought it home.

being in the military I also don't suggest accumulating a lot of music gear. I spent over 20 years in the Army and these are my suggestions. I could change them if I actually knew more about your situation.

Friends don't let friends play electric guitars!
Charter Member

Well, a smaller guitar certainly makes sense for someone who travels as much as you do... here's your solution:

Since you're already attracted strongly to the GS Mini, get one of those that already has a pickup in it (or have someone install a K&K PW Mini in it for you), and then you can plug in to one of your buddies' amps and play right along with them!

Acoustic guitars make GREAT rhythm guitars!!!

Thanks for serving this country... and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-18-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
If you are going to deploy or go on any temporary duty I suggest you get something that can handle the rigors of travel. An acoustic guitar is a better travel guitar because you don't have to have all the tools that is required. Cables, amps, and all that jazz.

But if you want to go electric I would turn the 214 into my travel guitar because it's lam B/S and can handle abuse better than an all solid wood will. In most cases you will have room to pack a guitar in a shipping container and don't have to worry about private airline flight so much, just make sure you have a really good strong case for it. The 214 will be no harder to pack/ship than it would be an actual travel size guitar in your situation.

I sent my nephew a Yamaha FG335 to Iraq thinking if he couldn't ship it back he could just leave it for the next group of guys. But he said the heck with that. he brought it home.

being in the military I also don't suggest accumulating a lot of music gear. I spent over 20 years in the Army and these are my suggestions. I could change them if I actually knew more about your situation.

Well on our last deployment a bunch of of people had ukuleles and only a couple people with guitars. Just would prefer to bring somthing a little bit cheaper than my Taylor 214 DLX . I would love to bring it though! My last deployment was aboard a navy vessel. I can agree with not accumulating a lot of stuff. Thanks for your service! So far I'm on year four in the Marines.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Well, a smaller guitar certainly makes sense for someone who travels as much as you do... here's your solution:

Since you're already attracted strongly to the GS Mini, get one of those that already has a pickup in it (or have someone install a K&K PW Mini in it for you), and then you can plug in to one of your buddies' amps and play right along with them!

Acoustic guitars make GREAT rhythm guitars!!!

Thanks for serving this country... and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
I am strongly attached to the gs mini ever since my guitar instructor I have right now has one and it sounds amazing for what it is and for how little the mini is
I can agree they make great rhythm guitars! I mostly like to play country songs with a lick of finger style , ( well learning finger style ) my instructor is teaching me that and music theory as well! I'll look into the k and k pw mini. Would it be possible just to install it myself?
Old 03-18-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
Friends don't let friends play electric guitars!
I converted only one so far haha
Old 03-18-2016, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkster3876 View Post
Well on our last deployment a bunch of of people had ukuleles and only a couple people with guitars. Just would prefer to bring somthing a little bit cheaper than my Taylor 214 DLX . I would love to bring it though! My last deployment was aboard a navy vessel. I can agree with not accumulating a lot of stuff. Thanks for your service! So far I'm on year four in the Marines.
I would buy a cheaper acoustic, in an 000 size. Guild makes a Chinese made F130 that is a great guitar and would serve that purpose well. I'm not a fan of Taylors small size guitars personally. They sound tinny to me.

Thanks for your service. You young men and women today simply amaze me.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I would buy a cheaper acoustic, in an 000 size. Guild makes a Chinese made F130 that is a great guitar and would serve that purpose well. I'm not a fan of Taylors small size guitars personally. They sound tinny to me.

Thanks for your service. You young men and women today simply amaze me.
Okay awesome I'll go try out a few as I'm about to go out to Sam ash here soon! Since I'm not a real big fan of guitar center! We use to have a great mom a pop shops all around where I'm stationed then when we got back most of them went out of business.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:15 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
I would buy a cheaper acoustic, in an 000 size. Guild makes a Chinese made F130 that is a great guitar and would serve that purpose well.
First of all, thanks for your service. I'm a vet myself.

Secondly, this...I have a Guild F-130ce for a travel guitar. Perfect size for traveling. But it is all solid wood...so if you are stationed somewhere with humidity issue, could be a problem.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 03-18-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
First of all, thanks for your service. I'm a vet myself.

Secondly, this...I have a Guild F-130ce for a travel guitar. Perfect size for traveling. But it is all solid wood...so if you are stationed somewhere with humidity issue, could be a problem.
You're welcome , and thanks for your service too! 🇺🇸

That's what I have to factor in since a lot of places I can go will be mostly ocean areas. That's why I was thinking an all laminate guitar to help with that issue a little more since it's not fully wood
Old 03-18-2016, 04:28 PM

Sounds like a good travel guitar would come in handy for you. Depending on your budget, you might want to look at some of the smaller Carbon Fiber acoustics available.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Sounds like a good travel guitar would come in handy for you. Depending on your budget, you might want to look at some of the smaller Carbon Fiber acoustics available.

My budget for my next guitar would be $650

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion