The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 11:17 AM

Default Shipping a Guitar to Australia

Hey. Does any one out there have a ballpark figure on the cost of shipping a guitar to Australia. I tried using the USPS website, but after I enter the dimensions, it says there are no services available for that size package and the UPS site requires a postal code, which I do not have, at this point. I'm assuming that the UPS and FedEx will insure it. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Shipping a Guitar to Australia

Get the zip code so you can obtain accurate Info from the ups or fed ex site.

If someone is asking you to quote a shipping price then they have to know the zip is necessary for you to get the info.

It isn't anything I would be willing to guess about.

And ask your self why you assume insurance is included - and do the research so you know for sure what is what.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 03-18-2016, 11:33 AM

I'd settle for a Cole Clark if I were you!
Old 03-18-2016, 12:53 PM

Tried to fed ex a small stomp box cheapest to Aust from US.
$96bucks

Went to USPS for $24
Old 03-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
Get the zip code so you can obtain accurate Info from the ups or fed ex site...
This is the answer. You can go to the websites of any of the shippers and get a quote. Be sure to get an accurate measurement of the box you are using and postal code. Your Australian customer wont like the price, and you will probably told stories of $99 shipping charges, but the online quotes are accurate.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:46 PM

FedEx, UPS or DHL will be your best bet. DHL owns many places in the world so I would call them or go online with box dimensions and weight for the big 3 and compare prices.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:53 PM

Here's the deal with Australia.

USPS won't go there, since the box is over their 79" size limit. But you might get lucky and get a clerk who doesn't bother to measure the box. If so, you're at $100 or $125 or something similar. You probably won't get lucky though. Some dealers know ways to get around this, but I won't explain how.

FedEx and UPS are going to charge you "retail" rates if you use their sites or, Heaven forbid, go to a UPS Store. It will be prohibitively expensive - probably well over $400 or $500.

If you have a FedEx business account, there are ways to ship cheaper, but that might be too much hassle for a one-time deal.

So, in essence, you're probably kinda stuck on this one. Your best bet is probably to find a "mom and pop" type place, and try to work with them on price. There are also shipping forwarding services that cater to overseas customers, but I don't have any experience with any one in particular.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:57 PM

I just shipped one to New Zealand by USPS from St Louis. Cost was $157 including the insurance ($1025 is max insurance fyi).

Be aware that the length plus circumference of the box cannot exceed 108 inches, so make sure you get the right size box.

Hope this info helps.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS View Post
Here's the deal with Australia.

USPS won't go there, since the box is over their 79" size limit. But you might get lucky and get a clerk who doesn't bother to measure the box. If so, you're at $100 or $125 or something similar. You probably won't get lucky though. Some dealers know ways to get around this, but I won't explain how.

FedEx and UPS are going to charge you "retail" rates if you use their sites or, Heaven forbid, go to a UPS Store. It will be prohibitively expensive - probably well over $400 or $500.

If you have a FedEx business account, there are ways to ship cheaper, but that might be too much hassle for a one-time deal.

So, in essence, you're probably kinda stuck on this one. Your best bet is probably to find a "mom and pop" type place, and try to work with them on price. There are also shipping forwarding services that cater to overseas customers, but I don't have any experience with any one in particular.
Well guys, from someone down here who has bought 5 guitars from the USA, 4 of them jumbo's, I can tell you Jesse is spot-on!
3 were delivered USPS and 2 were Fed-ex.
1 USPS box was punctured and case scuffed but guitar was fine.
Fed-ex tracking system very accurate and more frequently updated compared to USPS.
USPS deliveries are done by Australia Post at this end whereas Fed-ex deliveries are by courier.

Footnote; Valuations.
Tell it exactly how it is.
Australia has a $1000 tax free threshold for any goods shipped into the country, in other words, under $1000 gets in Tax Free.
One of the USA sellers I bought from thought he was doing me a favour by over-valuing the guitar for insurance in case it was damaged. However, this pushed the guitar over the $1000 tax-free threshold! I had to provide Australia Customs with proof of purchase (copy of Pay-Pal transaction) to get the guitar in Tax-Free.

I wouldn't want to be caught out trying to bring in an undervalued item either. Not worth it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 03-18-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:57 PM

You might look into a freight forwarding service.

The price to ship from Canada to Melbourne via Canada post, ups, or fedex was between 6-800$, something like that.

The freight forward service was 300. May have been a little more work for the customer to pick it up as he had to go to the airport to get it instead of door to door service, but it sure brought the cost down...
Old 03-18-2016, 10:24 PM

Thanks to all who replied. I would have tried to get the postal code and estimate on my own, but time was short. Needless to say the offer of $100 for shipping was way too low. Furthermore, I wouldn't ship the guitar if I couldn't insure it for its replacement value.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerdyakov View Post
Thanks to all who replied. I would have tried to get the postal code and estimate on my own, but time was short. Needless to say the offer of $100 for shipping was way too low. Furthermore, I wouldn't ship the guitar if I couldn't insure it for its replacement value.
That offer is way too low.
I'd expect to pay anywhere from US$150 up to US$250, maybe even US$300for shipping.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-19-2016, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I would be suspicious of any offer that tries to hurry me along without all the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 03-19-2016, 11:15 AM

No Post code ? Are you sending it the middle of the dessert ?
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 03-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
$100 is certainly not enough to ship a guitar halfway across the globe. We've shipped dozens and dozens of guitars to Australia using every carrier available, and it has never cost us less than $300 from California, regardless of value. The average cost is more like $350.

I would also caution you not to accept any form of payment other than bank wire transfer. For instance, although Paypal will gladly transfer funds from all over the world to get their fees, they will not offer you any protection if the buyers claims not as described. Funds will be pulled and they will have no way to force a return from outside the US.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion