The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 02:49 PM

It is currently Spring Break for about 1/3 of the country. Even here it runs for weeks as one district was two weeks ago, some were last week, some this week and others next week. People on vacation, sick, on the road for work, Just don't care........ don't necessarily check emails daily. I would give it a week or two.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:47 PM

Oftentimes using the unreliable craigslist email system your email can end up in their spam folder and not get read.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

There's a Richmond area seller who's notorious for posting guitars and other instruments with little to no detail and is completely non-responsive. He's posted some interesting, really beat up Gibsons and Guilds in the past, which I've offered to buy sight unseen. No response. The ad is pulled down, then the same guitar is reposted again a day or two later. Here's his latest, which actually is pretty verbose for this fellow. Usually it'll just saw "Guitar" in the description, or if we're lucky, the brand.

If any of you are interested in the Ibanez or the "older Gibson mandolin that needs repairs," here's the link. If you get a response from him, fill me in on the secret, will ya'?
Old 03-18-2016, 06:07 PM

just bought a 1982 Alvarez Yairi DY45 on CL this week. The transaction was smooth. The seller was a pro musician selling it for another band member. Guitar was recently setup and the bridge reglued by a luthier. Very satisfied!
Old 03-18-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
there are people out there for whom computers/email is not their go-to passion, in fact they log in seldom even if they are selling something. Also, they could just be jerks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitarre View Post
Maybe the seller is in jail and can't get back to you right now.
Good answers.
Maybe he already sold it and forgot to delete.
Maybe he is dead.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:50 PM

Classic one for me is a guy advertising a rare Beatles record for $1200.00. I always print the ad and when I get there he pulls a different one that's worth $10.00. I show him his ad and ask for the one advertised. Gives me that "busted" look. I flagged him.
2015 Martin D-28A 1937
2016 Taylor 458e-r
Old 03-19-2016, 09:13 AM

Person to person private sales are the reason that stores, pawn shops, and consignment shops exist.

It turns out that most people are pretty bad at actually selling. They can't be bothered with details like...... What is for sale.... Returning phone, text, or email... Showing up to meet.... Vague descriptions, fuzzy pictures, no details, and price generally starting somewhere around 150% of new retail seem to be standard.

Buyers aren't any better. It's pretty amazing how many no-shows I get. That is the most aggravating one for me - especially if I drive out of my way to meet. The 10-million email questions without any buying doesn't really bother me - it's just part of selling.

Folks showing up with no form of payment. People wanting to argue about price and offer 20% of cash discounted market price. People wanting me to drive 400 miles round trip for free...

My standard terms with any buyer are: It's not yours till I have cash in my hand. I won't wait or hold an item for you. I also have less room to negotiate the farther I travel.

Anyway.... It's kinda the devil you have to put up with
Old 03-19-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Good answers.
Maybe he already sold it and forgot to delete.
That would be my guess. Someone beat you it. And now the seller has abandoned the ad.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:57 AM

OP, it's Craigslist, so you have to take the good with the bad. For all you know the guy has already sold the gear and was just too lazy or considerate to take the ad down. For all the times I've had a crummy experience (which has only been 2 or 3 that I can think of, I've been super lucky to have found incredible deals on amazing gear. If you aren't up the occasional disappointment that comes along with dealing with some people on CL, there's always the option of going to the store and buying the item brand new for full retail. Nobody is making you scour CL and look for used gear!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Person to person private sales are the reason that stores, pawn shops, and consignment shops exist.

It turns out that most people are pretty bad at actually selling. They can't be bothered with details like...... What is for sale.... Returning phone, text, or email... Showing up to meet.... Vague descriptions, fuzzy pictures, no details, and price generally starting somewhere around 150% of new retail seem to be standard.

Buyers aren't any better. It's pretty amazing how many no-shows I get. That is the most aggravating one for me - especially if I drive out of my way to meet. The 10-million email questions without any buying doesn't really bother me - it's just part of selling.

Folks showing up with no form of payment. People wanting to argue about price and offer 20% of cash discounted market price. People wanting me to drive 400 miles round trip for free...

My standard terms with any buyer are: It's not yours till I have cash in my hand. I won't wait or hold an item for you. I also have less room to negotiate the farther I travel.

Anyway.... It's kinda the devil you have to put up with
This is exactly why I stopped 'meeting people halfway' and driving out. I figure if they want the item I have for sale bad enough, they will make the trip.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Guest 728

Placing the ad is the easiest part of the whole thing. I think that when a buyer responds, often the seller suddenly realizes what a PITA it will be to actually do the deal, and so they blow it off.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:01 PM

Some scammers harvest emails on CL by posting too-good-to-be-true offers. Might be one of those.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:08 PM

I find frequently in that situation, the item has already been sold.
Dan
Old 03-19-2016, 01:42 PM

Got arrested with a stolen guitar????
Mackenzie&Marr "Opeongo"-spruce/mahogany

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion