The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 03:46 PM

For my home recording, I use external mics. The pickup systems I've used (ES2 and Shadow e-performer) are not as good compared to the quality of 2 decent mics properly setup.

I love to play but also really appreciate the craftsmanship of a nicely made guitar. Built-in pickups can be problematic thru no fault of your own. Since I don't play gigs and do not need the convenience of a built-in pickup system, I personally view them as a potential liability.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a guitar or two from (either or both) the Taylor and Martin custom shop -and I'm leaning heavily toward no electronics.

-Just my perspective which is by no means highly relevant in the grand scheme of things...

Ray
Old 03-18-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Today's electronics will be inferior to what's available in the future.
Isn't that the same thing with TVs, various home electronics, cars, computers, smart phones, etc? The way folks go through guitars, just upgrade when better comes along. They're already doing that before stuff outdates.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Isn't that the same thing with TVs, various home electronics, cars, computers, smart phones, etc? The way folks go through guitars, just upgrade when better comes along. They're already doing that before stuff outdates.
I'm not as much concerned with electronics becoming obsolete as much as I am worried about them breaking. I tend to have issues with electronics. I am getting ready to sell a Line 6 Helix modeler for that very reason. I just know that it's easier to repair an amp than a modeler. Same with acoustic preamps and such. It's easier to replace non-invasive pickups than on board preamps.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:52 PM

I don't think the Aura system will be obsolete anytime soon. They may improve upon it ever so slightly every year or two, but that doesn't mean a current version won't still sound great. The Fishman Matrix has undergone changes, but the old one I have still works and sounds good (especially now that I can use the Aura DI with it).

BUT... If you don't need a pickup, don't get a guitar with one. Sounds like you're replacing multiple guitars with one really nice one. Not sure if that puts you in D-28 Authentic range, that would be my plan if I was in your shoes. Then if I ever wanted to gig again down the road, I'd just get a second/cheaper guitar to gig with
Old 03-19-2016, 07:39 AM

Have the same question. I'd prefer no electronics because I don't need them, but my current thought is I'm not going to pay extra for electronics, but it's not inherently a deal killer if it's a guitar I love and good price.

Anyone know how much extra the electronics (Fishman Aura) in the D-35E 50th Anniversary weigh? Also, is this something that can be removed by a good luthier and later reinstalled, or better just left alone if not used initially?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
Have the same question. I'd prefer no electronics because I don't need them, but my current thought is I'm not going to pay extra for electronics, but it's not inherently a deal killer if it's a guitar I love and good price.

Anyone know how much extra the electronics (Fishman Aura) in the D-35E 50th Anniversary weigh? Also, is this something that can be removed by a good luthier and later reinstalled, or better just left alone if not used initially?
I'm sure most of it can be taken out. But the end pin jack now contains the battery compartment, and it's a pretty good hunk of plastic. Wouldn't be able to remove that. You'd also be paying a lot extra for a really nice, new, high tech pickup. If you don't plan on using it, I'd maintain that you should just get an acoustic D-35. Save yourself a few hundred bucks and some hassle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion