The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Electronics vs No Electronics...

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, resurrected, and then beaten back to death, but I've got a quick question regarding electronics.

I'm re-evaluating what I really want from an acoustic guitar and I think I've decided to finally sell most of what I have and go hunting for a good Martin without electronics. I just have absolutely no need for electronics at this stage in life, and if I ever started gigging again, I would probably just outfit whatever guitar I choose with something from LR Baggs, or K&K ect ect.

But, the main question is if I do happen to fall in love with something with the Aura system installed, is this really a good long term decision? Won't the electronics become obsolete within a few years or even have issues down the road?
Old 03-18-2016, 10:17 AM

All of my guitars have pickups of one type or another. However, a big part of what I do includes plugging in. If you honestly don't have that need, I think its a better investment to buy a pure acoustic instrument. I always want the ability to amplify if needed, so I'd put a K&K in it if I were you - but, I'm not. The K&K is an easy install if you ever see the need down the road. It can be removed without any obvious scars so there is little or no downside there.

Pickup technology is always changing so that gear will age (and often not that gracefully). A great acoustic guitar will always be great.

Mike
Old 03-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

I am in the same position as you are. I have come to the realization that I do not need electronics at this stage in my life. So I am in the process of selling a few of my guitars and settling on my HD28, a Martin DM I recently picked up and my Guild. (of course I will keep my Tele and my Yamaha as well).

So what I am doing in the event I ever find myself needing to plug in, is put a K&K mini in either my DM, my Guild, or both. I just picked up a K&K pure preamp for a good price.

My concern with built in electronics is that they become obsolete pretty quickly and if you aren't using them that's money that can be spent on a nice guitar, or a mic etc.

heck, I haven't found the need to plug in, in 30 years so what makes me think I need to now? But I do like to plug in at home just for kicks sometimes.

But if I were you and could offer any suggestions I would just focus on a nice acoustic guitar and then if you ever do want to plug, put a K&K, or something like it, in at that time but not before you need to.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:55 AM

Default Pick ups?

Buy the guitar you want then put the system you want in it.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
Buy the guitar you want then put the system you want in it.
The Takamine Cool Tube is a pretty hot system, however. In one of their top-quality Japanese models you get a great package.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:48 PM

Yes, it will become obsolete in a few years. But, in terms of the Aura Plus, the obsolesce probably won't be with regards to tone. The Aura systems sound better than anything I've used to date. With the mic effects and imaging, it sounds ultra realistic. However, I anticipate that the future will bring smaller, lighter, more power conserving, options that might improve on the underlying pickup.

But, take a look at the threads for 2010 on AGF. What were people recommending then? What are they recommending now? The same thing. A passive K&K SBT and a preamp. Except for the Lyric mic and Aura imaging, all of the systems available today are the same basic underlying technologies as 15 years ago. There is plenty of marketing out there, and gadgets to add, but the technology is not truly changing as much as people would be led to believe.

So, when I did this analysis, it was a simple calculus. The Aura Plus guitar had the tone I liked, the neck I liked, and included a pickup, which I use regularly. Done. When the system is totally obsolete, I'll replace it. In the mean time, it sounds good enough that incremental upgrades probably don't mean much in terms of tone.

In your position, looking for a guitar to play (not collect), I would buy the guitar you like the best (for all the obvious reasons). If it has a pickup, all the better. If not, you'll have no shortage of options.

If I had found a Martin "bone" dread with a slim 1-3/4" neck, locally, I would not have worried about the electronics. I would have added one of the above options, as I have many times. In this case, and until it totally craps out, I get my cake and eat it too.

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

I would not be thrilled with having electronics on certain guitars but I would not allow that to stop me from buying a guitar that I like. I bought a 58' J-50 that had electronics but it sounded great so I bought it anyway. Don't let the electronics stop you from buying a great guitar.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:06 PM

This is something I'm going through this year. I wanted to replace both of my ES equipped Taylors with ones with a K&K (plus it gave me an excuse to go guitar shopping). My GS8e-12 string has already been replaced with a 562 and my 616ce will be replaced with an 814 Brazilian. There's no looking back for me now.
2014 Pono ETPC Ukulele
Old 03-18-2016, 01:07 PM

Last edited by Tico; 04-22-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:48 PM

So what's the difference between a guitar with a built in pickup and one with a pickup you've installed yourself? The only difference I can see is the preamp, knobs and battery inside the guitar. Otherwise, if from Martin or Taylor, it should be a good pickup system regardless. And presumably well installed from the factory. I tend to think we make too much of these things. But, to each their own.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

As a full time performer I love the upper end MIJ Taks in cedar/sapele or mahogany because they resonate nicely unplugged and are superb on stage with either of the 3 main preamps:
1. CT4-DX - best headroom, zero piezo characteristics 18v of pure tone but too many dials on board.
2. CTP-3 - the latest in Cool Tube hopefully reducing hiss, still warm & phat but eats batteries; 4 AA at a pop of 12 hrs!
3.) the CT4BII - my fav for warm tone, one long lasting 9v & simple layout great for onstage, has some piezo character but far less than most I've heard.

All three sound great & 1 & 2 are very versatile in combing with other pickups such as a soundhole.

NOW, when I bought my D18 to gig with I opted out of the Retro/E Aura because it was ok sounding & not worth the $$$ to me...I prefer to keep the D18 somewhat unaltered so as if I want to stop gigging with it the sound hole pickup comes right out. So I opted for the Baggs M80 which is nice. Now if I could put a Tak TLD-2 preamp in the D18 wow! But I'm good with the M80.

So if it were me, forget the electronics since you've stopped gigging & if you decide to go back, the Baggs M80 is a good option among others like the Sunrise.

Best wishes!

eric
Old 03-18-2016, 02:15 PM

Last edited by Tico; 04-22-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Today's electronics will be inferior to what's available in the future.
Plus, they could fail and be no longer supported.

Then you're stuck with a huge stupid worthless hole in your guitar.

Perhaps, but if you are using them effectively, and don't have a barn door (most mid to upper tier systems don't have barn door systems), then, again, what's the difference?

I think any/all electronics are an exercise in compromise. They require you you eschew the perfect for the good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2016, 03:22 PM

Shades of Blue, I'd suggest that you base your search and your purchase choice strictly on which guitar plays and sounds the best when it isn't plugged in, regardless of whether it comes stock with a pickup. If a guitar with factory-installed electronics happens to sound the best, buy it: nobody's going to be following you home and putting a gun to your head and insisting that you plug it in against your wishes.

If it sounds good, it sounds good, it's as simple as that. In your case, an onboard electronic system is irrelevant, but it shouldn't be a deal-killer unless you want it to be.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-18-2016, 03:35 PM

If you happen upon an acoustic guitar that speaks to you and it happens to have an onboard pre-amp, buy it.

My oldest Taylor guitar has the original Fishman blender although it says Taylor its a Fishman. It works as well today as the day I started playing it. So, I would not worry about electronics becoming obsolete, you can always stay current with pedals, pedal board or other effects as they come into and out of fashion it that's a concern.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion