The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 08:21 AM

Default Greven F or FX /0000?

I've seen a lot of very happy Greven owners/players here in the past, but I've seen little to no mention of his F models, specifically the 0000 Martin type jumbos. Anyone played one or know anything about them? Much appreciated.

Pat
Old 03-18-2016, 11:28 AM

Hi Pat...

I am one of John's VERY happy owners...of three of his guitars...and I am also delighted to say that he is one of my absolute very best friends. I worked with him at the 2011 GAL convention, and at the 2013 Healdsburg Festival...so I think I can answer your question for you pretty well.

One of the Greven's I own is a 0000/F...in fact it was his "Prototype" White Lady model guitar, made in 1975. It is a superb guitar in every way. I have also played the 0000/F that he made for John Denver back in 1982...ish...also a stellar guitar.

John's 0000/F guitars are just fantastic instruments...as are all of his models really. The 0000/F is a "best of both worlds" guitar, as it combines the overall power of a dread, but with a more focused tone...and a bit more playing comfort for some people. People have described the 0000/F body style i general as an OM on steroids...or....a dread under better control...and both are true...although with John...or any good luthier...you can have the instrument voiced in any number of ways, both by the geometry of the body spec's, and/or the top wood and voicing of the top.

I personally find the 0000/F body style much more comfortable to play sitting...or standing...and I prefer the look of the 0000/F body shape over a dread...more curvy...better visual asthetics...but that is just me.

The basic Greven tone that John creates is very warm, and full, firmly resonant, and sweet across all strings, and tonal ranges...Bass, Mids, Trebles...but again...he can voice the guitar to your preferences within that overall framework.

There is a very definite reason why John has built almost 2300 guitars to this point, but you very rarely ever see them come up for sale, and they do not last long when they do come on the market.

By all means, give him a call...he is very happy to talk with folks about potential orders. Be sure to check out his website as well.

Feel free to PM me for any further info you would like to know.

Best Regards
duff
Old 03-19-2016, 11:14 AM

Appreciate the info, Duff! I'm going to bump this one back up to see if anyone else has any experience with these guitars, or even something similar.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
Appreciate the info, Duff! I'm going to bump this one back up to see if anyone else has any experience with these guitars, or even something similar.
I have converted a couple of original Martin F style guitars into flattops. You may find the process of interest.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=371998

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...r#.UtxR_hAo5D8
Old 03-19-2016, 12:20 PM

Default Greven F or FX /0000?

Can't speak to Grevens 0000 but I own a Froggy Bottom F (0000) and it is great. This body size gives a full and richer bass and recovers the mid range that dreads deemphasize. Overall a very balanced guitar with a large tonal range. I think OMs may be more popular bc they are a bit more comfortable and generally better recognized. I love this size guitar for its tone but I do find it a bit tall for sitting in my right knee. Classical position is better or standing.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion