The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 09:45 AM

I've never left the guitar for something else, but I do have other interests beside it. I have a couple basses and a 12 string- are they counted as different than guitar? A classical- OK, that's the same, and recently purchased a violin and am trying to run down a used mandolin ($20, in good condition but CL seller won't respond to my attempts to purchase).

I would also like a keyboard (played piano nearly 40 years ago), a tenor saxophone (keyboard sort of makes that redundant, and I alto played in middle school band), a banjo, 6 string banjo, a ukulele, possibly a cello, and a drum kit (also was a percussionist in high school band for 2 years).

Let's just say I have an open relationship with my guitars. They all know about each other, don't mind me giving my time and talent (such as it is) to others. And they don't mind a different type of instrument sharing my time with them.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:47 AM

After owning a Gibson F9 mandolin for five years and never playing it, last year I decided to learn the major/minor/7th/9th chords and transfer my fiddle and bluegrass tunes from guitar. Still sawing away at it. The ukes take up a lot of time as well as the lap steel. The banjo is a different story altogether and I need the fiddle bow restrung.

In other news, I restrung the Brondel after a year or more on the same set of strings. Its as if I got a brand new guitar that sounds way better.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:08 AM

Piano. That was actually my first instrument. I started learning guitar around the time the Beatles made their way here. I've gone back and forth over the years. In the early 2000's, I was playing mostly piano. By the mid-2000's I hooked up with the local college jazz program and didn't touch a guitar in ages. Now, I haven't touched the piano in ages.
Baby Taylor (spruce)
La Patrie Concert (cedar/mahogany)
Assorted Strats and Teles
Old 03-18-2016, 10:12 AM

Never "left guitar" but started learning mandolin 5-6 years ago when my daughter (flutist) and I started playing Irish music together. I initially found the mandolin to be a bit more intuitive than guitar (I play mostly by ear), but since then have tried out some of the Irish tunes on guitar and find one or the other is a better fit in certain keys.

Then picked a cheap used bass and filled in when our worship team at church needed a bassist. After a year or two of being the only bassist, we now have two others, so now I fill in on guitar, bass, or mandolin. I probably should focus on being good at one instrument rather than mediocre at three, but I'm kind of like the utility infielder in baseball--not as good as the regular starter, but versatile enough to fill in at a moment's notice.
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 03-18-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Yes, but I couldn't get any gigs, or at least any that paid.

That's a blast from the past. Forgot all about that,fun times.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I started to learn the harmonica several years ago but I stopped because I wanted to focus on the guitar. If you saw me play you might suggest I go back to the Harmonica.

I still love harmonica's though.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
ok - drums, hammered dulcimer, and guitar seem to have a significant overlap in the skills required to play them. the hand rhythm that comes from drumming would work great on the hammered dulcimer, as would string theory (spelling chords, scales, licks, etc.) that comes from playing guitar. Kind of makes sense a drummer/guitarist would play hammered dulcimer.

Yup, they do. Knowing piano and a year or so of music theory doesn't hurt either.

Hammered dulcimer is both fun and very challenging, but I have yet to hear a prettier instrument out there (to my ears anyway!).
Old 03-18-2016, 11:49 AM

Actually, yes. Bought a good mountain dulcimer in the early 90's and played it exclusively for over ten years. Glad I did..........it taught me a lot about music. Went back to guitar exclusively about ten years ago. Good overall experience. Very helpful.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Oh yeah, although I deserted drums for guitar in about 1970ish.

I moved from West London to Hertfordshire in 1975 and found myself recruited into two bluegrass bands, but when I turned up with my D35, I was told that they wanted me in the bands but had a guitarist and wanted me to play mandolin - this is my current love :

and the other wanted a Dobro:
I've since upgraded both but these are my instruments now:

Old 03-18-2016, 12:23 PM

Not really, I play lots of guitar between 3 part-time bands, full-time instruction, and my own projects. However, I play a lot of mandolin, bass, banjo, ukulele, piano for myself and my own projects, and occasionally bands.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:01 PM

Nope........

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:16 PM

Picked up more work playing bass than guitar over the last 25 years...
Old 03-18-2016, 04:25 PM

Last edited by Tico; 04-22-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:33 PM

great steel stuff! i have an asher lap steel as well as a 40s national lap steel and both are fun to play. also, i have the br9 amp that goes with that br9 lap steel. cool little amp.

as far as leaving guitar, nope, but i've been successful playing harmonica, keys, vocals and bass. won't touch the drums!!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-19-2016, 12:11 AM

Not really...the only instrument, other than piano, that I have walked away from for any length of time is the violin. I walked away from the classical music scene in 1994 due to total music major burn out, and did not pick up my violin again until late 2008. I can and do play way more instruments than listed in my signature. The only ones that cannot hold my attention are brass and wood winds, but it's not like I did not try to learn them. It's not a bad thing to take a break from an instrument in order to focus on a different one.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion