The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 02:16 PM

She used to look at me askance and say: Really? Another one? I would then remind her of how much her brother spends on his boating hobby. Now when I tell her I bought another guitar she just says 'well of course you did!" and I can't always tell if she's being sarcastic but I just leave it at that.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:23 PM

Default I get half

She no longer complains but just says"I get half".
Old 03-14-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
If I ask first, I get a lot of moaning and "Really? REALLY?" But the last time I asked she said "Yes."

If I don't ask, she says nothing. Literally. For like a week I get the silent treatment. Then the lecture about "One in/one out," and "You need to grow up." And, "This stuff is ridiculous." Etc.

She must be justified, right? I own five stringed instruments. One is practically worthless. Two are almost priceless in terms of sentimental value. SO I really have two instruments that I can buy or sell. We've been poor but are way past that now. Guitar is my only hobby.

My wife has so many wonderful qualities. This is one of the few sore spots in our long relationship together. She doesn't get the music thing at all, doesn't want me to spend time on it, doesn't want to hear me play when she's home, doesn't want to come home and find out that I've been playing vs. doing something "productive," doesn't want me playing with other people. She had our kids convinced that I was going to be murdered because I got into a jam group via Craigslist.
That sounds rough. I love music and playing way too much to have that big of a rift with my wife about it. Good luck in finding your way with her. I hope she can eventually see what it means to you and learn to be ok with it.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
...my wife, chief executive roadie, book keeper, driver, accountant, merch salesperson, and extraordinary musician and instructor in her own right, is remarkably understanding...
Same deal here - no problem...
Old 03-14-2016, 06:41 PM

I would never make a major purchase without consulting with my wife first and she would never make a major purchase without consulting with me first. That is how I got my Larrivee. It was a deal that I did not think I would see again so I talked to her about it and she said get it.

Fortunately for us I don't have a need or desire for more than two guitars. My main squeeze the Larrivee, and the backup, in case something (God forbid) should happen to the Larrivee, my Seagull S6.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 03-14-2016, 09:36 PM

Oh, I wouldn't do that. This is where I say, "be afraid, be very afraid." But, we share the bank account and if either of us wants to spend more than $50, we have to discuss it with the other. It actually keeps me in check and has kept us out of the red for 30 years. I'm not complaining. We have a pretty good life together. She's a pretty good accountant considering the money we make. I have plenty of toys.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 03-15-2016, 05:58 AM

Last time . . . my wife was momentarily annoyed that I had used the wrong credit card. We would have gotten a better kickback with the right one.

All good in the end.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:01 AM

Default what does the wife say

Actually she doesn't much care one way or another. If we were financially tight like we were for much of our life together, it would be different - meaning I would be more conservative in what I acquire and more liberal in deciding what to sell. She likes to see me happy and she knows I have the same attitude toward the things she likes. We may rib each other - and she doesn't mind letting me know that my guitars are worth a lot more than her orchids or her fabrics. So I tell her that she has more flowers than I have guitars. Doesn't cut much mustard either way, but it's fun.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:19 AM

Default New guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post

Rev Roy "You're a funny guy..."

BTW, BEST.....MOVIE.......EVER~!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:08 AM

"Does it play/sound better than others? Which one are you selling now? "

I had over 100 pairs of speakers and twice as many audio components at once in the house before so no problem with significant other on how many guitars I buy.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

I don't bring it up. As long as there are only three here, she doesn't know the difference. As far as I know, she's never opened the cases.

To be fair, though, I have no idea what jewelry she gets.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

My wife is a very funny gal. I just bought a Cargo for a travel guitar and when it arrived this morning she said "Don't worry honey, we've got plenty of room for another guitar - and this one looks like it's small enough to fit right in the bed next to you where I used to sleep." At least I think she was joking.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:45 PM

My wife rarely says much about guitars. I owned 10 at one time, have slowly pared that down to 6, and will reduce inventory further this year. 3 or 4 is all I need.

Although I did buy an L-00 today
Old 03-15-2016, 08:57 PM
G625 mistral-k

My better half is my soulmate! we discuss and and decide together. That said, it was not five years ago I heard all guitars sound the same so why do you pay so much for this one. Then, nearly four years ago, my better half began playing.

The epiphany was a moment on Black Friday a few years ago when I was about to purchase an OM-21, due to it being less expensive than Bourgeois SJ which I was comparing. My better half, who had six months playing at the time said to me me, "get the SJ, it sounds better to my ears"..... I bought it and gifted it to my better half as a Christmas gift.

buying another guitar is not an issue anymore...
Old 03-15-2016, 09:23 PM

What does she say? Well, I'll let you know if she ever speaks to me again.

Nah.. Not like that at all. We discuss major expenses, but so far I have gotten cooperation. I have had as many as seven but down to five this week. But when I ordered the last acoustic guitar, I had an electric bass for sale (sold now). And I am getting ready to sell one acoustic in about a week. Expect to hold at three acoustic and one electric for a while. What she will be raising an eyebrow towards is the PA system being designed, since I do not really play out.

The guitars really do not cost as much as the computers, electronics, and cameras needed around here -- there is some reasonable recovery on guitar sales, but computers and cameras are almost throw away expenses due to technical obsolescence.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion