The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Actually, I'm blessed with a very supportive wife. She bought me a D-28 as my retirement gift when I told her I wanted to check "learn to play guitar" off my bucket list. That was almost two years ago...and since then I've bought four other guitars and sold two. She's been cool about it all, though a bit mystified about why I keep rolling the herd over.

Couldn't ask for a better partner. But still couldn't resist posting this:

One of my favorite flicks and yes... I can hear them laughing right now.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:39 AM

Around here it is merely a question of whether we buy one or two. It has happened in the past, yikes just last week. Here I was happy with my one and only. He has three. However we like to play different tunings and I wanted to dabble with sound in general.

It was agreed on that a certain number was a good idea, but it can snowball. If he gets one every time I do then I will never catch up!

What does my SO say when I bring a new guitar? "I want one."

Last edited by LesRose; 03-14-2016 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Mine says...."How many does this one make?".......and , "When did you get that one?".

Mine says the same two things. Then smiles and wants to hear it.

She enjoys guitars and knows a lot about musical instruments generally, and appreciates them in a similar way that I do. She enjoys listening to me play. She is a cello player.

Playing and owning guitars is very important to me and anyone who wants to be with me has to understand that. She does. I also understand and accept her needs as well. She is an artist and jewelry maker with a lot of tools, equipment, benches, lighting, kilns, etc etc etc and the space it all takes, basically a room.

She is happy, I am happy too.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Mine says "I hope you had a nice trip, now get those pictures up on the website." 😁
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 03-14-2016, 10:57 AM

I may get the occasional hairy eyeball, but it's short-lived. She loves that I play so that helps. And I'm not too bad with bringing guitars home in excess anyway. Although others have come and gone, I think my current number of 4 acoustic guitars acquired in the last 5 or 6 years is fair (can I get an amen? ). We kind of have an unspoken agreement anyway: I don't question her shoe purchases and she's reasonable with me about my guitar purchases.

Last edited by crikey; 03-14-2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Edited by The Department of Redundancy Department
Old 03-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Last year after I got my resonator I took my wife to her favorite furniture store and got her that sofa she was drooling over for a while. (Plus coffee table, end table and lamp to match). I've learned to spend more on her, than myself.

I'd like to pick up a new 00 this year, Concert or a slope dread, so I have my "ear to the ground" to see what is what.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-14-2016, 11:05 AM

My wife knows the budget and knows that if I walk in with a new guitar, it's on credit and it's going back soon or getting sold lol.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:40 AM

Smile

My wife is my band mate and helps me pick mine out. It's my money, I do with it what i please. Same goes for her. Her Hercules stand is just as full as mine.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-14-2016, 12:25 PM

When I was remodeling the house and getting ready for our daughter, I sold my Larrivee, and an Ovation, to offset the expenses (3 years ago). I proclaimed to my wife at least $1200 of our tax return was going towards a new acoustic. She thought this was ludicrous. Needless to say, I found a great deal on a new '13 Taylor 526ce ($1650 shipped). She may think it was in the $1200 range .
Old 03-14-2016, 12:29 PM

Mine says...........you had more guitars than you knew cords before you bought this one !!!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

My wife says " that's nice dear. What's for lunch" I am happy she has here priorities in the right place.

I got lucky the day we hooked up.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post

My wife has so many wonderful qualities. This is one of the few sore spots in our long relationship together. She doesn't get the music thing at all, doesn't want me to spend time on it, doesn't want to hear me play when she's home, doesn't want to come home and find out that I've been playing vs. doing something "productive," doesn't want me playing with other people. She had our kids convinced that I was going to be murdered because I got into a jam group via Craigslist.
Tell her you are considering getting into hunting or fishing (guns, ammo, hunting lease, boat, fuel, gear, etc. and hours away from home) and maybe she'll start to appreciate your guitars!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-14-2016, 01:15 PM

Who says she has to know! its always good to be home first when the UPS driver stops buy for a visit.
All kidding aside, she doesn't really care if a new one shows up.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Hi Toby,
Yvonne and I met in a music store many decades back, so she knew what she was getting into.

But I also ain't in a buying mode latel, so I ain't had to broach the subject. In terms of selling off, she's told me not to part with my 1890s Washburn parlor. I agree with her on that, too.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-14-2016, 01:57 PM

My wife is very supportive, but loves to get her jabs in (we both do). She also knows that it's my one "thing", and that I self-limit pretty well.

Last year I spotted a guitar that needed to be "Saved" from disrepair on CL in another town. My wife was going to be at a marathon supporting her friend in the same city the following week, and I called the seller and made a deal. My wife not only arranged to pick the guitar up, but lugged the thing around at the marathon so that it wouldn't sit in a hot trunk. Now that's support.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion