The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 08:38 AM
AGF Administrator

Her: "I thought you were happy with the last one?"

Me: "Well..."

Her: "I don't even want to know."

Sometimes the last statement is all that is said.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 AM

Nothing....for when she started to say "How many guitars you have now?" I replied with "How many purses you have now?" She just turned around and kept her mouth shut.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 AM

I am fortunate that my husband is very supportive of my love affair with guitars and he has never done anything with music other than buy Eagles, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Linda Ronstadt recordings (can you tell how old he is?) I always talk to him ahead of time about what I'm thinking I need and what it will add to my playing experience and why it will do that. He's an engineer and when I started getting really interested in the guitar, instead of just strumming the beat up guitar I had, and I wanted to buy more higher end instruments, I explained all about the wood, the bracing, laminate sides vs solid wood, cedar vs spruce top vibrating and the impact upon tone, classical vs steel string... And next thing I knew he was on Erwin Somogyi's website reading about guitar physics. For Christmas he bought us a "joint Christmas present" of Somogyi's books on lutherie. I'm not getting a Symogyi guitar though- he's made it clear that he believes the book will suffice and I agree. Of course, I still get the eye roll when I mention I'm thinking I might need another guitar and start in on my explanation. Especially when I tell him "this is the last one- I'll be good after this." But in an interesting way, the guitar has been a bit of a bonding thing for us. It's the first (and only) thing I've ever found that allows me to be passionate about physics, which has been his love affair since he was 8 years old and tried to build a laser out of a shoebox. And he can see how meaningful this guitar thing is to me. It's all good!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:01 AM

. . . . edited . . .

Last edited by cmd612; 03-14-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

My wife forgets that I've recently or given away a guitar before I buy a new one. I keep the number between 10-12 usually, but she always says "What!! Another Guitar!!!"

On the other hand, I get scolded for selling or giving away guitars. She worries that I won't have any good ones left. What's more I have guitars that I'm basically not allowed to sell because she likes the way they look. She likes the classic Gibson fingerboard inlays and abalone.

On a couple of occasions she has said "Buy it!"

The long and short of it is that the woman is inscrutable and unpredictable. I buy and sell guitars taking my chances based on an old Army maxim that it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:24 AM

When I buy she says: "Nice guitar".

When I sell she says: "What are you replacing it with".

Old 03-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I just get a laugh, usually followed by "I've been looking at horses." That seems to have a leveling effect.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I just get a laugh, usually followed by "I've been looking at horses." That seems to have a leveling effect.
So true! Been down that road. Somogyi's are cheap compared to what horses will do to a bank account. Setting aside the acquisition costs, you could pay for a neck reset every month and still save money compared to horses.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Fundamentally, my wife is encouraging. She's artistic herself - acting, dancing, film-clip making - so she understands and appreciates my fascination with guitars and music. However, she does get mildly exasperated at times - can't you be satisfied with what you've got? It's a question I've often asked myself, too!
This mirrors my situation exactly! My wife is artistic and a photographer. Her setup probably cost more than mine, but she's satisfied with it, and doesn't go on buying and selling frenzies. There's a lot to be said for appreciating what you have. I should follow suit.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Buck View Post
On the other hand, I get scolded for selling or giving away guitars. She worries that I won't have any good ones left. What's more I have guitars that I'm basically not allowed to sell because she likes the way they look.
I got that once, with a Taylor cocobolo T5 that I got at a great price (brand new) from GC - it had been hanging there unplayed for maybe a few years and was heavily discounted. It was drop dead gorgeous, and my wife gasped in disbelief when I said I was thinking of selling it. "Surely you're not going to sell that?" She was right; I put those thoughts away. Then they came back and I sold it. Boy, was she ever right!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I just reached a point where I told my wife I have the maximum number of guitars I ever want to own (see my sig) and that I will sell one to buy one. She still thinks it's "insane" I have the number I do but she does not push it any further. And I have reached my max, if anything I'll bring my collection down 1-2 guitars (1 electric is for sale now).
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

In my last buying frenzy I was feeling a little concerned that she might say something so I simply said I am going to sell the RAJ 122 to help pay for the new one coming in. She said let me see the guitar your talking about selling, Oh no your not selling that one.....You work to hard not to have what you want. Wow what a keeper I got in my Girl. I did however sell the RAJ 122 because I was neglecting it in my rotation of play time and wanted it to go to someone who would get some play time on her....she was a fine guitar and do miss it.

Last edited by CRM; 03-14-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: added to my reply
Old 03-14-2016, 10:16 AM

I think I've already posted this but I couldn't resist ...

Old 03-14-2016, 10:22 AM

She says, "I'm just glad your motorcycles are gone." (I got run over twice last year.)
Old 03-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Actually, I'm blessed with a very supportive wife. She bought me a D-28 as my retirement gift when I told her I wanted to check "learn to play guitar" off my bucket list. That was almost two years ago...and since then I've bought four other guitars and sold two. She's been cool about it all, though a bit mystified about why I keep rolling the herd over.

Couldn't ask for a better partner. But still couldn't resist posting this:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion