The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default So what does your significant other say when you bring home yet another guitar? Or...

... when you sell one, or five?

TBMan's thread inspired this one, which should be a fun conversation for sure. Let's see who can come up with the funniest response!!

Anywho, I happen to be among the very lucky ones. Carol, my wife, chief executive roadie, book keeper, driver, accountant, merch salesperson, and extraordinary musician and instructor in her own right, is remarkably understanding.

During my last buying frenzy, she simply said something along the lines of 'whatever makes you happy, it's what you do.' Conversely, during my last selling frenzy, she said the same thing. However, I often wonder if the she would be so merciful if my buying outweighed the selling.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:07 AM

Talking What does she say?

Mine says...."How many does this one make?".......and , "When did you get that one?".

I'm very lucky to have a spouse that knows how long I've waited to get my "toys", and does not feel the need to set limits and demands...
Old 03-14-2016, 07:10 AM

Fundamentally, my wife is encouraging. She's artistic herself - acting, dancing, film-clip making - so she understands and appreciates my fascination with guitars and music. However, she does get mildly exasperated at times - can't you be satisfied with what you've got? It's a question I've often asked myself, too!
Old 03-14-2016, 07:12 AM

My dog really doesnt seem to mind if and when one comes or goes.

He usually just sleeps thru it all - - - is always happy to see me and never complains.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:12 AM

Mine doesn't say much anymore since I am very discreet about buying anything. That is, I don't binge on guitars.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:17 AM

We have a joint house account that includes savings that we each contribute to evenly each month. Outside of that, she has her money and I have mine. I don't tell her what she can do with hers, she doesn't tell me what I can do with mine.

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 03-14-2016, 07:18 AM

"I thought you said you were paring down..."

That's an honest question, though. In reality my total numbers are going down as I go for less pricey instruments that suit the new practicality of my aging body. Sometimes I have to clarify the "one step forward two steps back" methodology.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:23 AM

My wife doesn't get why I need more than one of a particular type of guitar. She gets that a 12 string, 6 string, electric, classical, dreadnought and OM are different, but why I should have more than one of each eludes her. If I sell one when I buy one, that is fine with her.
For me it ends up being self limiting because I get tired of filling the humidifiers in each one twice a week.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 03-14-2016, 07:47 AM

Default What do you say......?

If I'd gotten rid of the ex wife first, I'd still have my 1965 J45.

Enough said.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:53 AM

When I sell one my wife says "where's my cut?". R
Old 03-14-2016, 07:58 AM

If I ask first, I get a lot of moaning and "Really? REALLY?" But the last time I asked she said "Yes."

If I don't ask, she says nothing. Literally. For like a week I get the silent treatment. Then the lecture about "One in/one out," and "You need to grow up." And, "This stuff is ridiculous." Etc.

She must be justified, right? I own five stringed instruments. One is practically worthless. Two are almost priceless in terms of sentimental value. SO I really have two instruments that I can buy or sell. We've been poor but are way past that now. Guitar is my only hobby.

My wife has so many wonderful qualities. This is one of the few sore spots in our long relationship together. She doesn't get the music thing at all, doesn't want me to spend time on it, doesn't want to hear me play when she's home, doesn't want to come home and find out that I've been playing vs. doing something "productive," doesn't want me playing with other people. She had our kids convinced that I was going to be murdered because I got into a jam group via Craigslist.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
We have a joint house account that includes savings that we each contribute to evenly each month. Outside of that, she has her money and I have mine. I don't tell her what she can do with hers, she doesn't tell me what I can do with mine.
x two....Exactly
Old 03-14-2016, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
"I thought you said you were paring down..."

That's an honest question, though. In reality my total numbers are going down as I go for less pricey instruments that suit the new practicality of my aging body. Sometimes I have to clarify the "one step forward two steps back" methodology.
I am Rudy. I'm in my 'selling phase' now.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
If I'd gotten rid of the ex wife first, I'd still have my 1965 J45.

Enough said.
I lost a couple of guitars that way. You do the math.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:09 AM

She is not much surprised by my guitars buying anymore - only time she was speechless since I have known her is the day the shop gave me an extra more roadworthy case as well as the ragged vintage case on a guitar I bought - wish I had videoed her face when I came in with 2 cases!

Though I did make the mistake of voicing an idea of selling some lesser lights to buy a superstar guitar! But she has already said she expects that one to be around soon...........

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion