The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2016, 10:42 AM

1. Great playing.
2. All of them sound really good which confirms, it's mostly the workman and less the tool.

I captured the same clip from each set without changing the volume setting in the video or my software. The first graphic represents one second of capture. There is some expected variation in the volume (which is the height of the wave form). There is no way to tell if all of the volume variation is due to the strings, the playing, the mic positioning, or a combination of all three. Likely the combination, though it sees that the mic positioning in the video is pretty consistent and I suspect Toby's play and attack doesn't vary too much.

[/URL]

It seems that the NB and Retro strings were consistently louder than the PB.

The second graphic is about one quarter of a second of the first graphic zoomed in to get more detail on the wave. In this section, the NB volume was slightly higher and the wave forms were "smoother." Since this is only about 1/4 second of sound, there may not be a large audible distinction but if this pattern is consistent through the entire clip, there is a distinct difference in the sound, smooth to edgy. It appears that in this section that the NB (middle wave form) were slightly louder throughout, the Retros second in loudness and the PB had the least volume. Volume is not a defining characteristic to good sound, in my opinion.

My bottom line is this. Great musicianship, Toby. I could listen to you play for a long time and, though, there are differences in tone from the varied strings, with you working them, they all sounded great.

Personally, I've sorta settled on the Retro strings for my go to guitars. I like the feel and the sound, but that's just me, right now. Next week, month, year, I may change my mind.

Thanks, Toby. You sure gave us a nice way to compare.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion