The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2016, 10:16 AM

Default GS Mini string gauge question

I have a new GS mini mahogany and am about to replace the factory strings, which are apparently Elixer PB mediums.

I enjoy DR Rares on my Taylor 314 and was going to try them on the mini- my question is whether I should start with the medium-heavy DR's (13-56) which is the string gauge Taylor recommends, or if sticking with the light 12-54 (which I have a few of on hand) will impact the sound in a noticeable fashion. (No electronics, by the way)

I have read that given the smaller size and hardwood top that mediums are rather beneficial to get the top moving, but thought I would check in with some folks as to real world experience.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

I use 12-56 (light-medium) polyweb Elixers on mine. Sounds fine & doesn't chew up my fingers as much as the 13's. I'd guess the effect of 54's on the bass would me minimal if any.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

I have the KOA model and find that I like the tone of PB mediums best on mine. Sure, you can use lights or HD lights, but to my ear, and the short scale, the mediums work great and brings out the big tone I want in a small GS mini body.

I also do not use coated strings on mine.

I am sure you will find your favorites by trying several gauges and brands.

Fun little guitars!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageom View Post
I have the KOA model and find that I like the tone of PB mediums best on mine. Sure, you can use lights or HD lights, but to my ear, and the short scale, the mediums work great and brings out the big tone I want in a small GS mini body.

I also do not use coated strings on mine.

I am sure you will find your favorites by trying several gauges and brands.

Fun little guitars!
I am a big fan of the DR PB's, and like them better than the Elixer's and I have been impressed by the tone of the mini out of the box...so I'll be sticking with the DR's as a starting point at least...thanks for your impression of sticking with mediums, it is where I am leaning.

Have you tried lights at some point or rather you were so satisfied with the mediums you stuck with them?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I put 12-54s on my GS mini. They work quite fine.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:17 PM

I always put PB mediums on my GS Mini and on my dreads and on my resonators .... (Cheaper by the dozen ! )

(Not the Telecaster tho'.)
Old 02-02-2016, 01:13 PM

Congrats on your Mini! I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. After having my Mini for about 5 years and having tried several sets of strings on it, my personal recommendation would be to not go below 13 gauge strings. Lighter strings will be very floppy because of the short scale and make it more difficult to keep the guitar in tune, too. The Elixirs PB would be my first choice because of longevity. If you're like me and like the Martin sound, try a set of Martin strings - the Mini will sound awesome with them.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-02-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
If you're like me and like the Martin sound, try a set of Martin strings.
Mmmm K.

That's all ya' gots to do to make a taylor sound like a Martin.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:52 PM

I've been thinking about putting some Elixr HD lights on my 11 year old daughters Gs-Mini hog top. Now I'm getting second thought regarding the issue of scale length and floppy strings. Has anyone had experience with HD lights on a Gs-Mini?
Old 02-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I put Elixer custom lights (10-52) on a a Mini for a grade school player. I've played it. Nothing floppy about it. Stays in tune as well as both my Minis strung with 12-56 Elixers. Custom lights are quite a bit more subdued but a heck of a lot easier on beginning fingers.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:40 PM

You might like to try Martin Retro Monel Light 12-54 on your mahogany guitar.
I've had them on mine for 7 months now.
Give them a week or 2 to settle in.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-02-2016, 08:00 PM

This is yet another subjective question. Only you will be able to determine if putting light strings on it will be ok for YOU. It's pretty cheap to try it for yourself. Put a set on and see. If you don't like it, switch back. Then you'll have your answer.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz1 View Post
This is yet another subjective question. Only you will be able to determine if putting light strings on it will be ok for YOU. It's pretty cheap to try it for yourself. Put a set on and see. If you don't like it, switch back. Then you'll have your answer.
Most questions on this forum are seeking subjective answers, which was the point of my initial post. Objective facts can often be looked up, individuals experiences are valid as well and what some folks have kindly shared with me.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Congrats on your Mini! I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. After having my Mini for about 5 years and having tried several sets of strings on it, my personal recommendation would be to not go below 13 gauge strings. Lighter strings will be very floppy because of the short scale and make it more difficult to keep the guitar in tune, too. The Elixirs PB would be my first choice because of longevity. If you're like me and like the Martin sound, try a set of Martin strings - the Mini will sound awesome with them.
Thanks for sharing your experience. One way I am like you is that we both live in the Sonoran desert...another is that I did pick up some 13-56 DR PB's today and just put them on...will see how I like them.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

I am a huge fan of extra light strings. I run 11/52's.

However, I wasn't happy with the sound of lights on my GS Mini. After researching it, I found that the guitar was optimized for 13's which impart more energy into the soundboard.

On full size guitars, I never noticed a sacrifice going to light strings. On my GS Mini it did make a noticeable difference.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion