The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Rich, why would you not wait on another OM-28A to arrive or get in line at a dealer of your choice? You've been talking about this guitar for a year, and I find it curious you would buy an OM-42 rather than wait a little longer for the one you might really want... ?
Fair question, I had an OM-28A ordered and sent a deposit then the dealer reneged (will not mention who here or privately), and I was pretty disappointed, not how I do business.

So I still want an OM-28A, but the early batch is all gone to my understanding, and it's six months or more wait now. The OM-42 would have been in addition to the Authentic, not a replacement, and I do like 42/45's a lot, they have that lap piano sound the 18/28's don't in my opinion.

Anywho, went back today with one of my playing buddies and it didn't wow either of us, glad I had him play it so I could here out front, so I passed...

I will have an OM-28A, just not as soon as I wanted.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear that Rich...sounds as if you're better off not doing business with that AD anyway. At least you have some great Martin's to keep you company in the mean time!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I still want an OM-28A, but the early batch is all gone to my understanding, and it's six months or more wait now.

Okay, gotcha. Do you happen to know how many were in the 'early batch' and are those guitars completed, in production, or 'on order' ?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

It's gonna be a while Brendan I believe. I sent Jon an e-mail asking if Martin had given him and expected delivery date and he replied: "no clue"?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-17-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrummer View Post
Rich,
Did they say the OM42 came in a trade for an OM18A? If so that was likely mine! I traded my OM42, a 2010, at Jay's old store a 2-3 weeks ago. If that's it, it is a very nice guitar. It became expendable because of the Bourgeois Soloist (Brazilian) and a Collings OM2HA Deep Body. Kinda in rosewood OM overload. It had great trade value so that and a custom shop D28 were traded for the OM18A. It fills the need for a mahogany OM perfectly!
Bill
Did you get an OM-18A with or without the VTS ? That's the boat I'm in. Get a non VTS version or wait, potentially a few months for a VTS version; assuming the VTS is worth the wait. Regardless it's the best guitar I've ever played.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 AM

Hi fletcher. I actually wanted one without the VTS although I don't have a good reason for that other than I'm wired to be a bit suspicious of new things. That said I am very happy with the OM18A. I am one of those that won't buy a guitar with the hopes that someday it will break in, open up or whatever. It has to be what I want now and it has exceeded my expectations. Plus I was able to get it at a discount since the new VTS ones are coming. I have no regrets!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizango1 View Post
It seems silly to say that an OM is as loud as a dread so I won't but my OM-18A has incredible headroom and maintains its composure no matter how hard I wail on it. Notes just leap out of it. Can't say that about my other Martins and I think with its clarity and headroom it would hang in there better than my D-21 Special in a loud BG jam. Might be the Adi top because my J45TV also just gets louder without changing its character when flogged. The '18 has great dynamic range.
Maybe. I have an Original Jumbo from the 03 run that has essentially the same specs as a TV, and it behaves exactly like this. Played lightly it delivers soft but full tone. Play harder and it just keeps getting louder until I'm rattling the strings. Holds it's own in rooms full of Martin dreads just fine.

P
Old 02-18-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrummer View Post
I am one of those that won't buy a guitar with the hopes that someday it will break in, open up or whatever. It has to be what I want now and it has exceeded my expectations.
I'm totally with you on this.

After all, nobody in 1937 was saying to themselves "I wish this guitar sounded more like it was from 1860!"
Old 02-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I compared the om-18a with the om-28a and bought the OM-18 Authentic 1933. It just sounds awesome to me
Old 02-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Baimo, how were you able to compare the OM-28A ? Did you play it at NAMM or the one at the factory?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-18-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Baimo, how were you able to compare the OM-28A ? Did you play it at NAMM or the one at the factory?
My question too, they aren't out yet ???

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-18-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
My question too, they aren't out yet ???

Also I think the OM-18a with VTS are being shipped now or within the next couple of weeks. Does anyone have a sense about whether it would be worth waiting for the VTS version of the 18 ?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:15 PM

I recieved my OM-18 authentic today, allegedly it has the VTS top, although aside from the darker coloration and lighter trim (versus a more creme colored trim) I'm not sure if those two visual factors alone are definitive enough to determine if its VTS indeed, but I'm going to let it sit in the box to acclimate to the climate, before I really give it a go. But I sure am eager, too bad I'm leaving for a 6 day trip; it'll have to wait until I return.

Last edited by fletcher; 02-24-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fair question, I had an OM-28A ordered and sent a deposit then the dealer reneged (will not mention who here or privately), and I was pretty disappointed, not how I do business.

So I still want an OM-28A, but the early batch is all gone to my understanding, and it's six months or more wait now. The OM-42 would have been in addition to the Authentic, not a replacement, and I do like 42/45's a lot, they have that lap piano sound the 18/28's don't in my opinion.

Anywho, went back today with one of my playing buddies and it didn't wow either of us, glad I had him play it so I could here out front, so I passed...

Well Rich, I hope your "normal" avenue of obtaining high end Martins works out for you relatively soon.

2013 Rockbridge slope
Old 03-19-2016, 11:08 AM

Default Martin OM-18 1933 Authentic

Just a note to let you know I own both and am selling the 18 at a reduced price on Reverb. It is like new and was a prototype. Second one of two built in 2013. The results were so good they decided to make hide glue and Torrefied tops standard on this model. As far as tone and playability... I don't think there is a better new guitar available. Clarity, sustain, strong fundamental, and sweetness. The vintage V neck is my favorite neck to play. My hands just don't tire out. I can give you a sweet deal if you are looking.

https://reverb.com/item/1371583-mart...-vintage-amber

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion