The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2015, 11:58 PM

Default [Deleted Thread]

[Deleted Thread]

Last edited by Guest 4711; 12-24-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randers View Post
Hi there,

I am in the market to purchase a new OM sized guitar and I am interested in both the new 28' 1931, as well as the 18' 1933. I was just curious as to if anyone had insight on the comparison of both guitars, or what tonal differences mainly differentiate the two apart.

Cheers,
Ryan
I have a 2013 OM-18A 1933 and it is my all time favorite Martin, I have a few Martins more expensive, but not more responsive. An OM-28A will come...

The OM-28A's will probably be spectacular by all accounts, and I think the differences will parallel comparing a D-18 and D-28, the general differences between rosewood and mahogany.

My OM-18A is dry, woody, balanced and very fundamental, there is no place to hide, you clearly hear everything. It makes you play precisely, punishes mistakes and rewards good technique, individual notes are clear and deep and wonderful.

The OM-28A is rosewood (Madagascar), it will have more harmonics/overtones, be more lush, less fundamental, have stronger bass, the typical rosewood/mahogany differences with Martin guitars.

There may be some slight differences in neck profile, not nut width I believe, haven't seen/played an OM-28A yet, but both are faithful reproductions of the specs for their particular years so the neck carve may be slightly different.

Folks prefer difference voices, I love 42/45 series Martins, but IMO Martin doesn't make more responsive guitars than the Authentics, and if they also have your voicing preference, then you have a spectacular instrument, be it rosewood or mahogany, or Koa for that matter. Happy shopping...

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

Last edited by rmyAddison; 02-16-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:04 AM

Default Beauty and the Truth

I think Rich's description pretty much nailed the tonal differences and will apply to the two Authentics.

My OM-42 sounds beautiful.

My OM-18 Auth 1933 speaks the truth.

Very different but I love both. If I had to choose (glad I don't) I'd keep the '18.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I have a 2013 OM-18A 1933 and it is my all time favorite Martin, I have a few Martins more expensive, but not more responsive. An OM-28A will come...
Interesting. I didn't realize this was actually your single most favorite Martin.

Given that these are only one size down from a D-18, I wonder how well they might acquit themselves in an ensemble bluegrass or old time situation; a jam. If things are getting heated, would one miss that extra little bit of volume and bass from a dread, or would the OM keep pace you think?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:23 AM

It seems silly to say that an OM is as loud as a dread so I won't but my OM-18A has incredible headroom and maintains its composure no matter how hard I wail on it. Notes just leap out of it. Can't say that about my other Martins and I think with its clarity and headroom it would hang in there better than my D-21 Special in a loud BG jam. Might be the Adi top because my J45TV also just gets louder without changing its character when flogged. The '18 has great dynamic range.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizango1 View Post
It seems silly to say that an OM is as loud as a dread so I won't but my OM-18A has incredible headroom and maintains its composure no matter how hard I wail on it. Notes just leap out of it. Can't say that about my other Martins and I think with its clarity and headroom it would hang in there better than my D-21 Special in a loud BG jam. Might be the Adi top because my J45TV also just gets louder without changing its character when flogged. The '18 has great dynamic range.
its not silly at all really, an om can be much louder than a dread. in fact even a 00 can be louder than a dread depending on the guitar. It would be very rare though for one to have the bottom end that a dread has, and thats why a dread is preferred for bluegrass, Not because dreads are louder. You wont miss that dread bottom end when your playing lead. But you very well might miss it playing rythym.

Id say if your the ONLY guitar player at a jam, you really probably need a dread. But if you have another guitar player or 2, they will more than likely have the bottom end rythym covered anyway because they will likely have a dread. In that case, an om works just fine
Old 02-16-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
its not silly at all really, an om can be much louder than a dread. in fact even a 00 can be louder than a dread depending on the guitar. It would be very rare though for one to have the bottom end that a dread has, and thats why a dread is preferred for bluegrass, Not because dreads are louder. You wont miss that dread bottom end when your playing lead. But you very well might miss it playing rythym.

Id say if your the ONLY guitar player at a jam, you really probably need a dread. But if you have another guitar player or 2, they will more than likely have the bottom end rythym covered anyway because they will likely have a dread. In that case, an om works just fine
Actually I totally agree. I just didn't want to show my OM snob true colors or invite OM/dread comparisons with the trusty Radio Shack SPL meter.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:37 AM

Good stuff.

Bizango--sorry for slight divergence here--how do you like alternating between the J45TV and the OM-18 for BG jams and so forth? I ask as the J45TV is on my radar for sure.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:49 AM

Pieter,

I don't get the opportunity to play with others much but I prefer the OM-18A because it is more extroverted sounding and I much prefer the wider string spacing at the nut and bridge. I also just prefer the size of OMs even though I'm a big guy. My first decent guitar in the 70's was a 00 Takamine so smaller bodies are not a fad for me. The Gibson is great for singing with because it is mellower sounding but can step right to the front for breaks and solos. The TV is my wife's favorite guitar to play and listen to ad she can always tell when I'm playing it from another room.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I think Rich's description pretty much nailed the tonal differences and will apply to the two Authentics.

My OM-42 sounds beautiful.

My OM-18 Auth 1933 speaks the truth.

Very different but I love both. If I had to choose (glad I don't) I'd keep the '18.
The deal I had on an early OM-28A fell through, and my local GC got a 2010 OM-42 that I think is spectacular, I asked one of my playing buddies to check it out, we have very similar tastes. Even though I have an OM-45 TB (2005, last OM-45 run from Martin, Engelmann over Tasmanian Blackwood), the OM-42 would give me a different wood combination, and while not quite as responsive as the Authentics to me only 42/45 Martins have that lap piano sound I have never found in 18/28's. I'm retired and the OM-28A was going to be my last Martin but I think the OM-42 may have found a home. They do have as you said beautiful voices....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieterK View Post
Interesting. I didn't realize this was actually your single most favorite Martin.

Given that these are only one size down from a D-18, I wonder how well they might acquit themselves in an ensemble bluegrass or old time situation; a jam. If things are getting heated, would one miss that extra little bit of volume and bass from a dread, or would the OM keep pace you think?
You give up bass but not volume with a good OM, some 00's are very loud. In a formal bluegrass setting yes you would probably want a dread, but my gang often has a variety of sizes going (informal at my house) and everybody gets heard. Arthritis made me sell all my dreads years ago, but I've come to love OM's and have no regrets.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I don't get the opportunity to play with others much but I prefer the OM-18A because it is more extroverted sounding...
What a great word to use to describe a guitar! Perfect. Suddenly, I have this perfect image in my mind of how the guitar would fit in. Cool stuff.

Quote:
The Gibson is great for singing with because it is mellower sounding but can step right to the front for breaks and solos.
And this gets to the heart of why I love a nice J45: they're so versatile, seeming to be a singer/songwriter's favorite, strummers,' and a favorite of boisterous flat pickers, and more delicate fingerpickers/blues players as well. They seem to do it all.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:04 AM

A good OM may not register on a meter as louder than a dread, but they project better than a dread. They "cut" through groups of other live instruments very well. They just do not have the swollen bass at the bottom end that a dread provides.

To my ear, dreads sound better to the player than someone sitting 10+ feet away. I mean when it comes to the fullness, to that bass that goes right into your torso and envelopes you as you are playing.

An OM never sounds as good to me when I am playing them as they do when I am out front, listening to someone else play it.

And those Authentic OMs have a balance that is even more impressive than normal OMs, in the way the notes pop out into the room and each string stays at the same plane as the others.

I have played a handful of the 18A and only one of the prototypes of the 28A. The 18As all had very stiff tops - but none more than the prototype I played. They required a bit more attack to get them to bloom. The 28A did not, although it did really like being played with more attack than required to get it to bloom.

But the 28A was the only one with the new lightly torrefied top Martin is now putting on all the Authentics.

I always say Madagascar is the rosewood for mahogany lovers, as it is less thick and smoky under the mids compared to some other rosewoods, and it has that very clear and clean chime up top unique to that species. But for sure it has more overtones than mahogany, up top and also spreading out from under the bottom end - just not as complex as Brazilian and not as dark and warm as Indian, but more of both than mahogany.

Otherwise, the string spacing is different (2-3/8" for the 18 and 2-5/16" for the 28) and the necks are different, but similar. The string spacing likely helps them feel less similar however than just the uniquely carved profile of each.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
You give up bass but not volume with a good OM, some 00's are very loud. In a formal bluegrass setting yes you would probably want a dread, but my gang often has a variety of sizes going (informal at my house) and everybody gets heard.
Well this is all interesting; thank you!

It's got me thinking that perhaps an OM-18A might work as well for me as a D-18A or D-28A, at least as far as jams go. With the group I seem to be getting involved with, I'm probably the most technically proficient player, so it's not hard for me to project through the din. Singing? Different story. These singers are outstanding. I have work to do in that department.

I say all this only as I'm not really that interested in having a whole bevy of dreads. I know I want a Ditson one day. I also know I'll have a J45TV, so I can't really justify having too many more big guitars. An OM would slot in there really nicely, bridging the dreads/slopes and my growing collection of small guitars--from 0 to 000, and maybe, maybe, an incoming parlor. We'll see.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
The deal I had on an early OM-28A fell through, and my local GC got a 2010 OM-42 that I think is spectacular, I asked one of my playing buddies to check it out, we have very similar tastes. Even though I have an OM-45 TB (2005, last OM-45 run from Martin, Engelmann over Tasmanian Blackwood), the OM-42 would give me a different wood combination, and while not quite as responsive as the Authentics to me only 42/45 Martins have that lap piano sound I have never found in 18/28's. I'm retired and the OM-28A was going to be my last Martin but I think the OM-42 may have found a home. They do have as you said beautiful voices....

You give up bass but not volume with a good OM, some 00's are very loud. In a formal bluegrass setting yes you would probably want a dread, but my gang often has a variety of sizes going (informal at my house) and everybody gets heard. Arthritis made me sell all my dreads years ago, but I've come to love OM's and have no regrets.
Rich,
Did they say the OM42 came in a trade for an OM18A? If so that was likely mine! I traded my OM42, a 2010, at Jay's old store a 2-3 weeks ago. If that's it, it is a very nice guitar. It became expendable because of the Bourgeois Soloist (Brazilian) and a Collings OM2HA Deep Body. Kinda in rosewood OM overload. It had great trade value so that and a custom shop D28 were traded for the OM18A. It fills the need for a mahogany OM perfectly!
Bill
Old 02-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Rich, why would you not wait on another OM-28A to arrive or get in line at a dealer of your choice? You've been talking about this guitar for a year, and I find it curious you would buy an OM-42 rather than wait a little longer for the one you might really want... ?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion