The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2001, 01:27 AM

Post Need help: 714 engelmann or 510

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for your help in choosing another Taylor guitar, as an upgrade to my former 314. First of all, I think I don't have problems with regards to comfort of playing these two. Taylor makes great dreads that have a body thinner in width (near the neck) than regular dreads. The choice is purely sound, price, and cosmetic. This will be my main guitar, nothing else, so durability will play a factor. I am mail-ordering for this guitar, which is why I am asking anybody for any input on this. Thanks!

P.S. the 714 is not a CE
Old 06-01-2001, 08:00 AM

Cool

If both of these guitars a re 2001 models the only thing you really need to figure out id light sting over mediums. The 510 is a great guitar and the new 1 3/4 neck on this dread makes it quite the guitar. The mahogany back and sides is nice quality and the Espuce top make a great guitar. It is fitted and is designed around Med. strings and will be a bit louder. The 714 full body is rosewoood but is a cheaper grade(but still nice)of wood but the main thing its a light strung guitar. The 510 should be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper. Both nice choices. Both very differant guitars. My personal favorites are the 14 series as they offer the most versitility of any guitar i ever played. The full body 14s hold a special place as the sound seem to circulate from the guitar. Ive never played a full body 14 that didnt captivate me no matter which series it was. I want a new 510 for the simple fact I want a dread with a 1 3/4 neck and I like the 500s but form the choices you have pesented and this is going to be an "Only" guitar I would have to choose the 714 hands down. They are very special..My 2 cents..JW
Old 06-01-2001, 09:39 AM
Jim

You are trying to compare apples with oranges. These are two very different guitars for different kinds of playing. I have a 510 because it is the right guitar for the kind of music I play the the style I play. I also have a 914C Custom Shop because the rosewood/Engelmann Grand Auditorium is the right guitar for other kinds of music I play. And I have a K-65 because for some kinds of music that I play only a 12-string will do.

Play them both and let your ear decide which is the right one for the kind of music you intend to play on it. You won't go wrong. Oh, and be sure they both have new strings on them. It's not a realistic comparison to play one guitar with live strings against one with old dead strings. If the dealer won't pop for putting new strings on the two, offer to pay for the strings. They are cheap compared to the investment you are about to make.
Old 06-02-2001, 01:34 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your valuable input, I definitely agree with you that the two can only be compared to a certain extent, and it is unfair to say one is better than the other. I just ordered the 714 Englemann from Buffalo Bros. They said I should take it coz it's rarer; most 714's coming out are cedar tops and are CE's. Guess this top will suit me better than soft cedar coz I love picking, and my 12 year old classical cedar top (having taken a beating) will attest to this. I guess I would also do well with the 510 if I chose it. Anyway my 714 will arrive wednesday next week, can't wait!!
Old 06-02-2001, 05:52 PM

Quite honestly you couldn`t have gone wrong with either.The biggest issue in my mind would be dread or not{sorry}There are certain types of music for me that a dread gets it and nothing else will.The GA has great flexability and I am a huge fan of englemann tops.I also like the sounds of the mahogany sometimes over the rosewood and vice versa.Sometimes you find an instrument to play what you have in mind and other times you are led by the inspiration that is presented to you.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:19 PM

Well Guys,

I hope I'm not bothering you or anything by giving you an update of my guitar purchase. I just called Buffalo Bros, and they gave me the fedex tracking #, my 714 engelmann will arrive on wednesday, this guitar will be my buddy, I will take care of it so that it'll last a lifetime, it will make up for all the years that I got dissolutioned playing guitar. Thanks again guys!!

P.S.

I thought 714's that are not custom ordered came only with cedar tops, just curious...
Old 06-04-2001, 10:07 PM

Talking

Sorry, that was disillusion, not dissolution. Too much work, hehehehe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion