The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Default Bass strings

Three or four years ago i picked up a Fender acoustic bass somewhere with the intent of either my wife or i learning to play. Last weekend we let the bass player in her church band use it for an acoustic deal, and he raved about the strings that were on it (same ones that were on it when i bought it--so definitely NOT new!!).

Neither he nor any of his "bass buddies" had ever seen or played any like them--black wound, almost feel like a silk winding. Winding on both ends is a fairly bright green. They are the appropriate length for a bass guitar, so it's not an upright string that's been cut down.

Anyone have any thoughts as to the identity?? I can try to get a few pictures tonight if necessary. Thanks in advance for any input you might have!!

earl
Old 07-07-2010, 07:07 PM

Nylon tapewounds, probably...I use the GHS ones, Fender gets theirs from LaBella.

Both sets make a bass sound like a bass, not a deep-voiced twangy guitar!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:07 AM

Thanks Terry!! We'll take a look--those guys were stoked about the sound.

earl
Old 07-08-2010, 02:41 PM

GHS tapewounds are what I use on my Martin acoustic bass guitar.

-Raf
Old 07-08-2010, 05:55 PM

The bass at our church(which gets used by whomever's available at the time) is strung with these. I'm sure they're the Fender variety. Love them. Sound great, but for me they take a little getting used to feelwise. My bass at home is strung with regular nickel roundwounds(Fender), but when it comes time to change, i'm seriously considering these.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 07-08-2010, 06:45 PM

I recently played a small mini acoustic bass with black rubber strings. they and it sounded really good. any idea what those strings were?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion