The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 AM

Default The plain strings

So, there are a few different material choices to choose from for the wound strings, but what about the plain strings. Are there alternatives in materials or platings for these two? Usually, when you look for strings, they are labeled as phosphor bronze, or 80/20, or nickel plated, etc. for the wound strings and usually just "plain" for the plain strings. I would think there would be some alternatives...
Old 06-03-2010, 02:54 PM

I'm no expert but i would think they would adjust the alloy in the plain strings to match the sound of the wound strings.I've taken a plain high E from another brand and used it to replace the snapped high E on one of my guitars,the difference was noticeable.
My Tunes
Facebook
Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 PM

Can't give a scientific response, only what I have observed. The makers of coated strings, like Elixir, also coat the plain strings against corrosion, so that's an obvious difference. Martin SP strings have a brass plating, Martin FX strings do not, and although the gauge is the same as the SP's, the FX plain strings sound especially tinny, by comparison. I'm sure, as you say, there are audible differences with other brands, as well.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

The plains are Swedish steel and though a few types are coated, for example anti-rust or bronze flashing, the difference in sound is virtually nil IMO. The main difference you get with the sound of these comes from the gauge (string diameter) used.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-06-2010, 07:37 AM

I don't know what they use, but some Tomastik-Infeld unwound strings are a gold color.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
I don't know what they use, but some Tomastik-Infeld unwound strings are a gold color.
Brad
I'd be interested in knowing the material. Maybe a tin plating of some sort? I'd bet they look nice with a set of 80/20 wound strings
Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Interesting. I'd always assumed the plain strings were interchangeable, one brand with another, and that a 12 is a 12 no matter who made it.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I hate to always be the one to say it but there's no way you're going to hear a difference between the usual tin plating and a gold-colored plating on a plain steel string. The rougher coating on an Elixir, maybe. But silver-colored plating versus gold-colored plating is functionally the same stuff.

Then again some people think shiny bits of shell on the rosette and bindings make a guitar sound "brighter" so maybe they ought to have blue-tin-plated plain steel strings for guys playing the "blues". It might make the guitar sound "bluer".
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 06-06-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I hate to always be the one to say it but there's no way you're going to hear a difference between the usual tin plating and a gold-colored plating on a plain steel string. The rougher coating on an Elixir, maybe. But silver-colored plating versus gold-colored plating is functionally the same stuff.
I agree, I've used them interchangeably with same size "silver" strings with no noticeable difference in sound. Look kind of neat up close, though.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
I agree, I've used them interchangeably with same size "silver" strings with no noticeable difference in sound. Look kind of neat up close, though.
Brad
I do like the look of the gold ones.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion