The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2001, 04:43 AM
Bardahl

Question Taylor Bridge Question

Why does the bridge portion of the "B" string face in a different direction than all the other strings on a Taylor? My friend has a Gibson & I believe a Martin, & those bridges are just a little piece of plastic set down in the wood.
Old 07-09-2001, 09:01 AM

Some of the other guys can give you a more technical answer than me, I'm sure. But I believe the difference in the bridge at the B string is designed to provide better intonation down the neck. This allows the guitar to maintain tune the length of the neck. This type of bridge is only found on premium guitars.
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 07-09-2001, 09:14 AM

It's called a "compensating saddle" for that reason.

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 07-10-2001, 09:35 PM

Question

I also notice that I have some string buzz but only on that B string. I wondered if that compensated bridge might have anything to do with it. Any ideas?
Old 07-11-2001, 05:50 PM

Hi cubldr,

No, your buzzing is not "due to" the "compensated" saddle. Compensation for intonation on this kind of a guitar is commonplace.

You have somethng else going on there. It can be fixed fairly easily. Lots of tricks.

Use the new search feature to grab a lot of info in these threads on handeling buzzing.

Later

-grm
Old 07-12-2001, 10:25 PM

Bardahl-

I was contemplating the same thing on the saddle -- the reason the point on the saddle for the B string is so pronounced is that the four wound strings are compensated largely by the angle of the saddle with respect to the nut, with slight adjustments on the saddle itself. The "opposite" tilts of the B and high E strings compensate precisely for the slight difference in diameter of the unwound strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion