The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2001, 09:08 PM

Cool Advice, "please"

First i'd like to say, "what a very useful board this is. kudos to the guys who run it". But anyway, can anybody here give me a list of several good websites of places that sell Taylors? I know what i want, but probably the biggest factor in my decision is price and i'd like to do some net comparing. I only know of one place within several hours of where i live that sells them (and very few of them at that), and as i'm 15 and don't have a car i'm really stuck as far as other options. thanx
Old 11-10-2001, 09:23 PM

Sheepbert,

Unfortunately Taylor will not allow advertising more than a certian number of mile from an authorized dealer (I think it is like 25 miles) so you will probably not find a website that advertises the sale of Taylors. Here is my suggestion: Call or email Buffalo Bros in CA Buffalo Bros A lot of people talk highly of them and you should be able to deal over the phone and they will ship it to you. Another option is to find someone you trust an have them look at some dealers in their area. For instance, I can Look here in Oklahoma City, just let me know what you are looking for. I am in pretty good with a dealer, and they treat me pretty well. Sitll anothe option is ebay. you can always bid on a guitar there if you find the one you think you want, which is sometimes difficult dapending on what you are looking for.

With all the above options, there is one bad thing: You don't get to play the guitar before you purchase it. However, some dealers will give you an approval period to try it and will allow you to return it if you don't like it. One thought to keep in mind if you buy used (like on ebay) you won't have the lifetime warranty, i fthe guitar has been regestered to another person. I am sure some others will throw some more ideas and places your way. Good luck! Let us know what you are looking for, chance are someone in here probably knows where one is.

<><Mark
Old 11-10-2001, 09:28 PM

I have to add my 2 cents here. I recently called Buffalo Bros because of what I've read on this board, and the guy was a reall smart-***!
I have a local dealer who is very straight up and fair. Runs a super nice little Acoustic ONLY shop. http://www.tobiasmusic.com/

Ask for Ken, the owner. Very nice man!
Old 11-10-2001, 09:37 PM

Too bad you had a bad experience with Buffalo Brothers Taylorman. You are definitely the exception and not the rule. My guess is you might have talked with Bob there who has a different sense of humor. They are definitely a pleasure to deal with.

The interesting thing that you might like about them Sheepbert, is that they will allow you to send the guitar back if you don't like the way it plays or sounds upon its arrival. Most dealers wont' do that. I haven't found anyone that has better prices either. Some dealers prices have been the same, but not better. It doesn't mean they are the only good dealer out there though. I would recommend listening to what some of the people here have to say, then make some calls!

Shea
Old 11-10-2001, 10:56 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
I have had several occasions to deal with Buffalo Brothers these past few years and have mixed feelings about them. Their selection of acoustics is great. Good prices, and best of all is their 100 % upgrade policy. Most of my interactions with them have been fine, but unfortunately there have been several episodes where I felt their customer relations skills were more than lacking. Whenever I get asked about internet guitar dealers I say to check out Buffalo Brothers because of the factors I mentioned above, but I also tell people to check out Cotten Music (Kim Sherman is a doll!), Gryphon Music, FQMS, and take a look at Mandolin Brothers and Elderly.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 11-10-2001, 11:00 PM

Sheepbert-

Check out the <www.Taylorguitars.com> website for a complete listing of dealers. There should be a Guitar Center somewhere near you, shouldn't there (don't know where you live). There's one on every corner, isn't there?

Don't know what your budget is or playing level, but the Big Baby is a value and a half.

Good luck.

Jay

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 11-11-2001, 03:42 AM
Jim

You might also try emailing or calling either Chuck Levins http://www.chucklevins.com/

or Appalachian Bluegrass at http://www.appalachianbluegrass.com/

Both of these are in Maryland and are first class operations with decent prices and very knowledgable sales guys. Levins has a much larger stock on hand, but Appalachian is usually less busy and so will spend more time talking with you. Both are good.

I wouldn't recommend the super stores for four reasons: 1) 98% of their sales guys really don't know much about Taylors, 2) their prices are usually pretty high (make sure you ask them how much it costs with the case it was shipping in included), 3) much of their stock has not been well cared for and 4) they don't have reliable after the sale service departments. You can get lucky and find a nice Taylor there or even a sales guy that actually knows about Taylors, but normally you really need to know what you are doing.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
<STRONG>You might also try emailing or calling either Chuck Levins http://www.chucklevins.com/

or Appalachian Bluegrass at http://www.appalachianbluegrass.com/
</STRONG>
I'm going to second both of these stores! I think that Chuck's (or Washingtoin Music Center as it is also known) is the nation's #1 Taylor dealer. They typically have 175-200 (that's right nearly 200!) Taylors in stock at any time and their prices are a little better than Appalachian. Appalachian is a small shop wit a 'down home' feel, excellent, knowledgable staff, but limited stock. WMC has great staff, excellent service and a killer selection. It can be a little hectic there (especially on a Saturday) but ask for Brian Meader, he'll treat you right.

James

P.S. Mention my name...I'm collecting 'brownie points'. When I get enough, I'll get that 'free' PS Koa I'm dreamin' about
Old 11-12-2001, 02:55 PM

here's my 2 cents-There have been many websites/dealers mentioned here, but I recommend guitartrader.com. They are located in San Diego and have a good relationship w/ Taylor. They also have they best prices that I have found on any guitars, not just Taylors, and will match any price. Give them a try, they seem great.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion