The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2016, 05:08 PM

Default Cautionary tale (happy ending though)

The action up the neck on my 415 had risen a little... not a big deal so I hadn't done anything about it... but it occurred to me how great it'd be to address that issue before the nice series of gigs my duo will soon be playing.

So I called my regular repair shop and asked about expediting: they said to call back after lunch to confirm, but that they could probably get me in and out by Saturday.

But then on a lark, I called the place I bought it from 15 years ago. They said no problem, they could do a setup for me while I waited. Great! I drove the 30 miles and played a bunch of guitars while the work occurred.

When I received my Taylor, the action was much improved *but* they'd cut my saddle down by about 2/3rds! I am normally not too picky/dramatic, but the loss in power/volume was noticeable, especially factoring in the new strings.

So today, I took the guitar to my main shop and 'fessed up. They agreed that there was no need to sacrifice the saddle on a Taylor. Long story short is that by Saturday's gig the NT neck will be adjusted and I'll have a new, full-height saddle.

Whew! Lessons learned: 1) don't rush on a whim; and 2) be loyal to a sure thing.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

and lesson 3) always call back the shop that incorrectly hacked your guitar and reprimand them

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-16-2016, 05:24 PM

They took THAT approach to your request WITHOUT consulting you when you were IN THE STORE! That's just ludicrous!
Old 03-17-2016, 01:05 PM

Lesson #1 should be that the action on a Taylor is set by adjusting the neck angle rather than sanding the saddle as on a set neck instrument. Don't let people who don't understand this basic fact work on your guitar.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
Lesson #1 should be that the action on a Taylor is set by adjusting the neck angle rather than sanding the saddle as on a set neck instrument. Don't let people who don't understand this basic fact work on your guitar.
Really!? Taylor necks are typically reset for routine action adjustments? I realize that they have bolt-on neck joints and use varying angle shims for neck alignment, but never knew that their necks were reset this routinely!

Any idea what the cost range for that is?
Old 03-17-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
They took THAT approach to your request WITHOUT consulting you when you were IN THE STORE! That's just ludicrous!
+1 Yeah -- really. Couple of my guitars recently needed refreshing and optimizing. Took them to the best luthiers I'd heard of in the area, about 2 hours drive.

We always go over exactly what needs to be done, and exactly how it's going to be done. In the end, there are never any surprises.

It's your guitar. Take control of what's done to it.

Bottom line. Be willing to drive a little further, and maybe wait a little longer.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
Really!? Taylor necks are typically reset for routine action adjustments? I realize that they have bolt-on neck joints and use varying angle shims for neck alignment, but never knew that their necks were reset this routinely!

Any idea what the cost range for that is?
Yes
Taylor necks are typically reset this way for routine action adjustments. If the tech knows what he's doing and has been through the Taylor tech school, it doesn't take any longer than a typical set up and costs about the same. This is why Taylor recommends having your guitar serviced only by certified techs that have been trained at the Taylor factory. The loss of tone, volume etc. has to do with a lower break angle because of the lower saddle after sanding, or so I was told by a tech at the factory.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhbayless View Post
Yes
Taylor necks are typically reset this way for routine action adjustments. If the tech knows what he's doing and has been through the Taylor tech school, it doesn't take any longer than a typical set up and costs about the same. This is why Taylor recommends having your guitar serviced only by certified techs that have been trained at the Taylor factory. The loss of tone, volume etc. has to do with a lower break angle because of the lower saddle after sanding, or so I was told by a tech at the factory.
Wow, have never owned a Taylor, but am kind of surprised I didn't know that. Thanks for the illumination!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhbayless View Post
Yes
I'm the OP circling back with a huge plus one.

I picked up my 15-yr-old Taylor 415 from my main shop and have a new, tall saddle AND proper action with tone restored. They charged me for a normal tune-up, although I did need a new saddle since the first shop had shaved it down.

BTW our gig last night was a surprise 40th birthday party in the back yard of a beautiful house on a lake. So great to be a part of such a wonderful evening.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
+1: What Terrapin said!

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion