The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2016, 05:54 AM

I play banjo besides guitar. I gig with both. My band is in a show with Jay Unger and Molly Mason tomorrow. We do three songs and instead of switching off I will keep it simple and stick to the banjo. I probably consider myself a banjo picker first and a guitar player second at this point although I enjoy both.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:05 AM

The problem with me is that my teacher, back in the day, always had all sorts of instruments hanging in the studio. He let me play them all, his motto was ʻa string is a stringʻ . I was given hands on to some crazy, cool, magical instruments.

I have owned keyboards, lap steel, eight string bass, upright bass, and ukuleleʻs wandered in and out. I play 8 string tenor uke now, but no matter what I play or how long I play it- so far, I still see myself as a guitar gal.
Biggest problem is that I am a twelve string player to my core, period.

The only time I have walked away from my guitar was when I had to part with it, kids have to eat and times were tough. I loved the lap steel, want another. I loved the keyboard, not enough room. I dig my uke's, but nothing yanks my chain like my guitar.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

There is a guy on the Gibson forum - handle BucMcMaster - who sold off his guitars and took up the uke. He is phenomenal, and his voice is Bobby Darren, Frank Sinatra, and Dean Martin all in one. He plays a lot of old standards, after a life of rock and roll.

I look forward to every post he makes, every youtube... I couldnt do it, but it is clear to me that there is no human being who is more suited to a specific instrument than he is with his ukes.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:23 AM

I was in a group with too many guitars so I picked up a mandolin for some variation. That was the start. I have since picked up uke, banjo, piano, and resonator. I would say these days my primary instruments are banjo and piano. I play guitar mostly just when I teach lessons and when I play at home I reach for my resonator. I am still the best at guitar, but my piano and banjo skills are catching up quickly. I love the idea of having instruments in the house for my kids to gravitate to the one or ones they like. I am currently trying to learn fiddle...it's a whole different kind of animal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 03-19-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Anyone else ever leave guitar behind for awhile in pursuit of a different instrument?
I played a lot of guitar as a teen. I stopped playing when I went to college and didn't pick it up again until almost 20 years later. During the hiatus, I briefly played the clarinet and then spent 7-8 years playing classical flute. I had a great flute teacher and was able to learn many skills that are transferable to guitar, like how to practice, music theory and reading/writing music, some experience playing in a band or small orchestra. I rarely play flute anymore but I sometimes miss it.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 03-19-2016, 02:16 PM

Spent many years playing bass due to a shortage of reliable/available bassists. Picked guitar back up after I got canned from my last band a few years back.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:28 PM

If it has strings I am game - tried my hand at piano, never got far.
Had a mandolin and resonator around - those got sold off too.

Guitar is what I am drawn to, there is a wide variety of styles I am into.

Right now I am working on my electric chops, since I got heavily into acoustics it barely got any play last decade.
At work there are a few folks that get together to jam.
They are missing a guitar player (have keys, bass, drums and accordion), so it should be interesting.

Down the road I could see myself picking up a bass guitar and try to learn more about it.

At present what I would likely add will be a used National reso at some point - for fingerstyle blues and slide.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:50 PM

In the late 1980s I sold my Yamaha FG-180 to pay for a 21 string folk harp, which I learned enough to play my Irish mother a couple of tunes as she lay dying. After she died in 1994, my father gave me his Oskar Teller, so I had a guitar again. I still have a couple of folk harps and play them occasionally, but most of my playing has been guitar.

My dad was never much of a player, but he loved to listen to the mandolin. When he died, I learned to play the mandolin in his memory and that of a fiddle friend of mine who had just died in a motorcycle accident. Now the guitar and mando are my two go-to instruments.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:04 PM

Of course. I tried electric bass, keys, drums, and harmonica.

The only one that is near the same love I have for guitar is the drums.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 PM

Pedal steel for a couple of years but technically they still are guitars, aren't they?
Old 03-20-2016, 05:57 AM

I've got a brand new $150 Yamaha Keyboard sitting beside me that I wish I could find a good intro course to learn how to play. We have a piano but it is out of tune and not near the PC. I bought it to help with an on line theory course I just completed.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 03-20-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
I was in a group with too many guitars so I picked up a mandolin for some variation. That was the start. I have since picked up uke, banjo, piano, and resonator. I would say these days my primary instruments are banjo and piano. I play guitar mostly just when I teach lessons and when I play at home I reach for my resonator. I am still the best at guitar, but my piano and banjo skills are catching up quickly. I love the idea of having instruments in the house for my kids to gravitate to the one or ones they like. I am currently trying to learn fiddle...it's a whole different kind of animal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ah there , I left off banjo. Banjo is fun.

Now the whole grandkid thing, well I made sure they all have an instrument, at home and here. We have a violinist! When he chose the violin his Dad was not keen, until I informed him that he had no choice. None. That kid wanted a violin more than anything, so now he is expanding from violin to guitar/bass/ukulele!!!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:08 AM

In the late '80s I sold my guitar and bought a set of bagpipes. I got pretty good at playing them too. Then one day I put down the pipes (although I still have them) and went back to guitar. I've also dabbled in the hammered dulcimer, mountain dulcimer, banjos, and autoharps but I never left the guitar for any of those other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion