The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 11:05 PM

I am not setting a good example for the younger guys out there but I do not talk about it I buy what I want and what I can afford. Besides I have enough gear she does not know what's old and what's new
Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 PM

I bought one that was rather impulsive a month ago. My thoughts were to autition all my my guitars critically, and see which one stays in the stand for a month or so. That one would go.

After hearing me play through the same songs with all the guitars one evening (I was looking for some audience side input), she stood up, looked me in the eyes and said "Nobody Leaves!" and left the room.

I must abide.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 03-19-2016, 08:55 AM

My wife is understanding, and my purchases come from a separate cash stash that accumulates from side jobs (doing guitar lessons and photography) so the totals I spend might be somewhat of a mystery but she doesn't ask. She is really only concerned with the space cause our house isn't huge. She usually follows up a purchase with "so are you selling the old one?" I am trying to pair down to one nice/beautiful example of each instrument I play. I am set at resonator, guitar, and banjo. Currently eyeing pro level collings mandolin (like the mt or mt-o) and then a nice upright piano. Both of those are very expensive though so my gas is in remission.... The only other thing I am looking at is a decent used fiddle with some history and wear and tear. I am currently renting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 03-19-2016, 01:25 PM

My husband is very reasonable, most of the time. Only once, during our 21 years together, did I buy an instrument without first discussing it with him. Before we both retired, our income was such that we both could buy things without much worry. He even bought the D-28 for me! Almost always though, especially after retirement, I sell something before buying. It helps my discussion when I start with..." Honey I'm going to sell my xxx so I can buy this yyy.
He is very supportive of my music and enjoys listening to it.

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 03-19-2016, 01:29 PM

My wife understands my love of guitars and if I stretch guitar purchases and include her in the process, we are cool. Also, I have a handful of gigs each month and 10 weddings a year, so I also have a revenue stream, albeit small, that helps fund my Carmel Guitar OM obsession.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:46 PM

I usually have been shopping and hinting 6-8 months before I get a new instrument. After 37 years she knows my games, and even knows how to play along. Heck she's even finished the acquisition at times.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 03-19-2016, 02:48 PM

I might have to find another place if I bring home another guitar. Wish I were kidding.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:54 PM

Replace "HT" with "guitar".....

Old 03-19-2016, 04:05 PM

I currently have 15 or so guitars, a banjo, a mandolin, and 8 amps. I could have more or none and I don't think my wife would really notice. It doesn't affect our finances and I have a detached studio that she's rarely in.

Sometimes, it's good to be me.
Baby Taylor (spruce)
La Patrie Concert (cedar/mahogany)
Assorted Strats and Teles
Old 03-19-2016, 04:43 PM

As someone who has been married for 4 decades to the same beautiful and understanding woman, I have always found it easier to ask for forgiveness instead of asking for permission.She encouraged me to purchase my first guitar. It helped that I had bought a Gretsch 711 Songbird project guitar at a yard sale for $5.00 and sold it on Ebay for almost $1400 so I had extra cash. She didn't say anything when I bought my second guitar and not much when I bought my third.
It was a different story when I purchased my fourth, she said, "You're not a rock star, how many do you need?" She has repeated that line with fifth and the sixth. With the latest purchase, the added, "Enough! You don't have room for any more!"
I usually stick to my line that when I'm gone she will have some nice guitars to sell to keep the lights on.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:54 PM

I've got one of the good ones. Just today we had a rare weekend off from babysitting our 4 year old grandson. Which we spent on a shopping trip to Tulsa. While my wife is not such a fan, I love going to flea markets and we went to large one held every weekend. Where I found a used Alvarez AD60-N Artist Series for sale for $150. Which with 5 guitars at home already, I really didn't need. But I'm a sucker for a great deal, so I wanted it. I actually asked her to talk me out of it. To which she replied "If you want it, get it. You know I never complain about you buying guitars". Got it for $140.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:08 PM

She says exactly what a sadist says to a masochist....absolutely nothing! BUT OH THE LOOK!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion