The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I am a huge fan of extra light strings. I run 11/52's.

However, I wasn't happy with the sound of lights on my GS Mini. After researching it, I found that the guitar was optimized for 13's which impart more energy into the soundboard.

On full size guitars, I never noticed a sacrifice going to light strings. On my GS Mini it did make a noticeable difference.
Thanks Fazool, I had researched it as well, which is why I was wondering if folks had gone the light gauge route...it does seem personal to a degree, and it does make sense that the medium gauge would perform better on the hog mini...
Old 02-03-2016, 09:28 AM

I've tried 11s, 12s, and 13s, in PB and 80/20. For some reason I don't tarnish guitar strings. There is no question to me that 13s give the best tone and volume which are useful if you get to perform on vacation (which I did my last time out with the GSmini). Right now I am using 80/20, 13s, D'Addario EJ12.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-03-2016, 09:33 AM

Just wondering if anyone is using Elixir HD Lights on their GS Mini?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
Mmmm K.

That's all ya' gots to do to make a taylor sound like a Martin.

Well, what can I say? I'm a Martin fan. I was looking for a camping guitar, and since I have a couple of full-size Martins, I wasn't that particular about it. The GS Mini was the only available option in that category. As I said, I do like my Mini, but these days, I would probably get the Martin Dreadnaught Jr.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-03-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan7170 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. One way I am like you is that we both live in the Sonoran desert...another is that I did pick up some 13-56 DR PB's today and just put them on...will see how I like them.
Interesting. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you like the DRs. I've never tried them on the Mini. They sound great on my other guitars, but at least for me, don't last long enough. I just picked up a set of coated DR "Life" strings -- let's see how long those will last.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel13 View Post
Just wondering if anyone is using Elixir HD Lights on their GS Mini?
I haven't so far, but since I just picked up a 3-pack of these, I might try that sometime...

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Well, what can I say? I'm a Martin fan. I was looking for a camping guitar, and since I have a couple of full-size Martins, I wasn't that particular about it. The GS Mini was the only available option in that category. As I said, I do like my Mini, but these days, I would probably get the Martin Dreadnaught Jr.
I was just funin' ya' bro.

I know you are a fellow Martin enthusiast from your posts!

You have to admit... that sounds pretty funny... I know, that you know, that strings do not a guitar brand make.

Roger on that D-Jr! Love em'!!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan7170 View Post
I am a big fan of the DR PB's, and like them better than the Elixer's and I have been impressed by the tone of the mini out of the box...so I'll be sticking with the DR's as a starting point at least...thanks for your impression of sticking with mediums, it is where I am leaning.

Have you tried lights at some point or rather you were so satisfied with the mediums you stuck with them?
I did try D'Adario PB lights. Took them off after a week and went back to Mediums. My Koa model sounds much, much better with Mediums.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Interesting. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you like the DRs. I've never tried them on the Mini. They sound great on my other guitars, but at least for me, don't last long enough. I just picked up a set of coated DR "Life" strings -- let's see how long those will last.
2 days in...maybe played 90 minutes over the two days with the DR strings. My initial reaction is that they sound fine, but I did not experience the noticeable improvement in sound over the supplied Elixir's that I did on my GA, which has a cedar top.

I'll keep these on until they wear out and may try some Martin's or something next...although I may just go back to the coated strings as I will be playing this much less frequently than my other guitar and the string longevity would be nice
Old 02-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Hi have DR Rare Mediums (which in DR world means 12-54) on my GSM Holden Valley (Englemann Spruce), and it is one of my favorite strings, and not too floppy. I have not problem with 13-56, but have been using these on other guitars. I like the balanced tone on the Rares, with good low/medium/high without too much sparkle.

The Martin strings have me intrigued. They like my D18, but my 814 kind of went flat. I don't think it was the Martin-Taylor rivalry between the guitar and the strings though:-) Amazing how sensitive guitar tone is to a slightly different string recipe.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 03-19-2016, 12:57 PM

This may have something to do with the fact that the Engelmann is softer, and therefore does not need as much to 'drive' the top, as say Koa or Mahogany.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion